• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Root shock lasting too long.

I replanted everything into large pots about three weeks ago, and they promptly got sunburned. That happens every year, but it's been three weeks and they haven't entered a phase of explosive growth to get their leaves back. Temps have been high seventies to low eighties, partial sun, not much rain but waterings about once a week. I think the roots got more damaged than usual, but anyone have any ideas when they should resume normal growing speed?

It could be awhile. I've seen them go a month or more, especially if the roots weren't very well established when transplanted... and by that, I mean young enough to allow most of the dirt to fall off of the root ball.

Phil said:
It could be awhile. I've seen them go a month or more, especially if the roots weren't very well established when transplanted... and by that, I mean young enough to allow most of the dirt to fall off of the root ball.
Yeah, I didn't water them before transplanting this time and a good bit of dirt did leave the root ball.

It sounds like you took your naked babies to the beach without shade or sunscreen. How many sets of leaves did they have before the sunburn damage?

It can take a while, like Phil said. Give them some time to build some roots in their new home. Once they're happy with the amount of roots they've grown, you'll know. 
     I planted out in mid May (I think. Sometime around then...) and I have one OW that is just now starting to take off. It's in a 25 gallon bucket, though, so I'm patient with it. Another OW of mine is in a 20 gallon pot and has just started to stretch in the past week or so. 

Oh, yeah. The point of what I was saying....  :P It's not so much "root shock" as it is a reprioritization of your plant's resources. It's not that your plants aren't growing - most of the growth is underground so you can't see it.

Yeah, any kind of transplant shock sucks. You are probably lucky for the weather you have had. Things could easily have gone sideways on you weatherwise.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     It can take a while, like Phil said. Give them some time to build some roots in their new home. Once they're happy with the amount of roots they've grown, you'll know. 
     I planted out in mid May (I think. Sometime around then...) and I have one OW that is just now starting to take off. It's in a 25 gallon bucket, though, so I'm patient with it. Another OW of mine is in a 20 gallon pot and has just started to stretch in the past week or so. 

Oh, yeah. The point of what I was saying....  :P It's not so much "root shock" as it is a reprioritization of your plant's resources. It's not that your plants aren't growing - most of the growth is underground so you can't see it.

Bingo. They're going to work on establishing roots first, then foliage.

I agree with everything said above, but here's a tad more. I give my transplants some starter fertilizer (something to promote root growth) after transplanting them and then again a week or two later. That seems to really minimize transplant shock. The fact that you let them get sunburned, however, probably hit them a bit harder than usual. Still,  you might give them some root stimulating fertilizer to help them out. Even with that, don't give them the full strength - half max, since you'll be giving them more fairly soon.

Always put a teaspoon of sulfur in the hole and jellyfish root transplant dip for the transplanted pepper plant

Every time I repot plants, I add some root stimulator to the first watering right after repotting. I can't "prove" it but I swear that root stim helps them after repotting.

When small plants are in rock wool, and as in my case you grow in perlite/vermiculite, re-potting is even easier. The rock wool holds everything together and the perlite etc. just falls off, unlike soil. No root damage at all. I repotted some plants which didn't show any halted or stunted grow at all

Back