• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Roozer's Stash -slow but steady start to growing!

Hey folks,

Thought I'd pop some pics up showing the kinda slow progress of my little growing projects. I have around 20 private acres but much of it has established trees and the options for growing peppers are somewhat limited, due to the extensive shade.
Last year I cleared a couple of 12x12 plots for produce, and did very well with lettuce, mesculin, some herbs, and a few peas and tomatoes. My peppers did NOT work out last year....I ground planted them and they were in too much shade.

This year I've planted in pots, but probably didn't give them the early care and attention they needed, so I'm behind where I should be. A couple weeks ago I cheated and picked up a few pepper plants from a local nursary for 50 cents each, which were more advanced than my own plants. So at least I'm guaranteed to get some yield, the not really much. Next year will be a different story. Thanks to this website and ya'lls help, I've got some good idea and have already started to buy various seeds.
Anyway.....

Here's a little 'super chile' plant that I've talked about elsewhere....these beggars kick butt !! (not bhut)

1.jpg

Another little super chile.....come to daddy....

2.jpg

and another....

3.jpg

My little retreat, where I enjoy a morning coffee and various excursions during the day (I work from home :) )

4.jpg

This is one of the plots that I turned over last year, but didn't plant in it this year so it has gone to the weeds. There's still some thyme, rosemary growing and some wild lettuce....It's hard work keeping these plots free from weeds, because of the surrounding terrain....

5.jpg

You can see the plants on the end are looking a bit wilted. This shot is taken around 10:30 am, about three hours after I watered them. I may be over watering. They start off wilted in the morning then pick up late afternoon when the sun has dried them out a bit. I water every day in the morning, perhaps 2 coffee cups full in the larger containers. This may be too much so I'll cut back to every other day....suggestions?

6.jpg

My wife and her silly flowers....oh so boring :lol:

7.jpg

You can see some of my babies are way behind where they should be and probably won't make fruit, but I'll try to overwinter and get a start on next year.....

8.jpg

I'm most disappointed in this guy, he's the most advanced from my seeds, and is quite large with a good diameter stem, but isn't showing any signs of flowering or pods yet. (he's a yellow hab, I hope).

9.jpg

I have several of these Kung Paos....I think they're probably ready for picking.....or should I wait til they redden?

10.jpg

That's it. I know it isn't very impressive but next year will be better!!

Cheers

R :) :) ZE

http://gardenerscott.blogspot.com/2011/06/dealing-with-plant-wilt.html

"When a plant senses a harsh and potentially harmful condition, like excessive sunlight and heat, the stomata will close, effectively shutting down the conveyor system and no more water flows to the plant structure. The result is what we interpret as wilt. "

It's something I noticed with my plants as well. I only water the ones that stay wilted when the sun is down. Even then, I still do the fingerinsoil test to make sure.

nice rooze i have super chile this year(2 plants) and they have so many peppers i see why they call it super!! lol
i got your sasbe and will get it out asap

thanks your friend joe

Well that was the end of July, now four weeks later a quick progress update.

I've finally got a handle on what's a plant and what's a weed, so my 'chile plant collection' dropped by around 15% :rofl:

I've been really happy with the yield from the few plants that I have. I don't have much dried/pickled but next year will be better now that I have a bit more confidence.

Planting from seed has been a real eye opener. I only have a couple plants from maybe 20 or so seeds that I planted. I got them going way too late (mid/late May), so next year I'll get things fired up in January.

So here's the latest pics -

The little Tabasco I picked up as a seedling is finally getting ready to come to daddy....

1.jpg

My 'Hotties' are on their second round of fruit....those buggers are so tasty if you eat around the placenta, but catch the white stuff and they blow my gaskets.....They're big producers too.....lots of pods....

2.jpg

Close up of the Hotties....There's also a 'Super Chili' in the same pot that's giving it up like crazy....don't know how that happened :)

3.jpg

Super Chile plants been churning out the pods for about 6 weeks or more....quite tasty, nothing special, but good stocking fillers for curries and the like...

4.jpg

The Kung Paos are just machines. They're on their 3rd round of pods and this latest round looks the biggest of the season....plants just full of little KP's :)

5.jpg

Kung Pao....
6.jpg

So this is my Orange Hab grown from seed. It's been a sickly looking blighter all season, then it finally started flowering and showing pods around 3 or 4 weeks ago. The plant doesn't look sturdy enough to support all the fruit that's coming.....I hope it grows and ripens before the cold sets in. Next year I'll get the seeds going good and early and take better care of them....
7.jpg

Another shot of a Hottie giving it up for roozer....
8.jpg

And more hotties....
9.jpg

Not very exciting I know, but I'm happy with how it's gone, next year will be gangbusters...:)

Thanks for looking.

That one you say is an orange habanero is not a pepper at all! It is in the same family (Solanaceae) but may or may NOT be edible. I wouldn't take my chance. It looks like a nightshade, "ground cherry", or garden huckleberry, all are Solanum species.

That one you say is an orange habanero is not a pepper at all! It is in the same family (Solanaceae) but may or may NOT be edible. I wouldn't take my chance. It looks like a nightshade, "ground cherry", or garden huckleberry, all are Solanum species.

LOL...thanks Jesse.....you are of course dead right. I noticed yesterday that the little pods started turning a deep purple color, which gave the game away. It flowers exactly like the other peppers, but I was suspicious of it given how small the actual plant was and how many 'pods' it was showing.

Maybe I'll eat the pods and put myself out for a while :)

####Edit - upon further reading, black nightshade is quite a potent herb with many medicinal benefits. Maybe I'll make a sauce with it and a few kung paos!####

Back