• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Ropey slimy snotty brine

Just finished a month of a hot sauce ferment containing peppers, garlic, carrots, and onions. I tried an experiment with this one and added a few milligrams of kefir starter. The ferment had zero mold, smells good but not as lacto-funky as usual, and the brine was slightly cloudy, nothing unusual. pH is under 4.

When I drained the brine to blamed the mash, I saw the brine was extremely viscous like snot. Anyone encountered this before? Think this is safe to eat?

Attachments

• 6A17A3FF-AAF2-4C8A-A95B-F74DEF6C4695.jpeg
    6A17A3FF-AAF2-4C8A-A95B-F74DEF6C4695.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 166
Average temp was probably high 60s, which is cooler than is typical for my ferments. If temperature wasn't the issue, I suspect that the addition of just those few grains of kefir starter caused this. The lacto "funk" just isn't there.

The sauce is actually delicious. And hot! It was a mix of peppers including Bahamian Goats, Fresnos, Carolina Reapers, Moruga Scorpions, BTR Scorpions (awesome), Cayennes, and Orange Birds. 

After draining the slimy brine and blending, the sauce had a nice, smooth consistency. I think the slimy brine actually helped with this.

I got this once. I thought I might have filled the jar too high, but yeah... the average temp was in the mid 60s. So, the explanation here makes sense. Like you, the sauce turned out really well. Not as tangy as my other ferments. But killer in its own right.

Ropey slimy snotty brine

I saw the title to this thread I just needed to bump it!
_
stringer said:
The sauce is actually delicious. And hot! It was a mix of peppers including Bahamian Goats, Fresnos, Carolina Reapers, Moruga Scorpions, BTR Scorpions (awesome), Cayennes, and Orange Birds. 

After draining the slimy brine and blending, the sauce had a nice, smooth consistency. I think the slimy brine actually helped with this.

Oh man that's quite descriptive! ha ha  It almost sounds like some Godawful medical diagnosis.

Doctor - "The test results have come back and I'm afraid it's not good."

Patient - "Give it to me straight doc, what's wrong with me?" 

Doctor - "Well, no need to beat around the bush, I don't know how else to say it... uhm well... you've got Ropey slimy snotty brine."

Patient - "Oh sh*t doc, how long have I got?!!" 

Doctor - "Not long, I'm so sorry."

:lol: at ^^^

And now we can abbreviate it as RSSB, a previously unknown condition, of which people with be googling looking for definitions for decades.   

Back