• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Rotton Nagas

This same thing happened to me last year. Just on the Naga's. It's not BER. The flesh is okay but the seeds all along the placenta are black or brown. I was wondering what this could be?
003-12.jpg

I picked my orozco plant a few days ago and noticed a pod that I probably missed before that seemed to be over ripe. When I opened it seemed a little like yours. Not sure if it was because I didn't pick it soon enough, but out of the 10 or so pods that was the only one that had the problem.

I have noticed that last year and also this year with some of my habs. I think as long as you remove the seeds and membrane, the rest should still be good. At least I'm still here after eating my habs ;)

Pepperfreak said:
I have noticed that last year and also this year with some of my habs. I think as long as you remove the seeds and membrane, the rest should still be good. At least I'm still here after eating my habs ;)

Any reasons for this? It wasn't even completly red yet.:shocked:

Maybe a little creature burrowed inside and carried spores with it, which could only grow on the areas least covered with capsaicin and other chemicals.

I had a pepper once with mold growing on the seeds, and there were little bugs inside a perfectly enclosed pepper.

Eh it happens sometimes. Don't know exactly why but just cut it out, rinse it off and you're good to go. It usually happens more on overripe pods, but i've seen it on pods in varying stages of ripeness.

I have a few pods show up like that every year. Cut and wash has always worked for me. Frustrating though when the outside looks perfect.

Ya, it was the first ripe Naga of the year and I had my pizza pocket opened up and ready for some slices and then I saw that. :(

Yes, I've seen that as well. Eating black seeds like that will make you sick. Cut them out and wash.

In particular, my nagas have been kinda sickly and susceptible to little black spots, and black seeds.

I have used different seeds and sources each year.

I like to check every pepper I process since even perfect looking pods can have rot inside, and especially with a wet growing season. Personally I just throw away any bad pods, I just can't eat anything that looks funky.

I've seen similar on plants that got too much water. it may just be BER that hasn't reached the end or similar. My mini sweet peppers are all rotting on the inside long before it reaches the outer flesh.

I'm getting ready to run the dehydrator and I had some space left on a rack so decided to slice the 20 or so Naga Morich peppers I have picked. Every single one of them had black spots and black seeds in them. Two were also moldy. Most of them looked perfect from the outside.

I was able to save most of the meat of the peppers but man what a pain in the arse.

patrick said:
I'm getting ready to run the dehydrator and I had some space left on a rack so decided to slice the 20 or so Naga Morich peppers I have picked. Every single one of them had black spots and black seeds in them. Two were also moldy. Most of them looked perfect from the outside.

I was able to save most of the meat of the peppers but man what a pain in the arse.

It only happens to my Nagas. Two years in a row. Any idea why they are susceptible to this?

Back