misc Rough draft

I came up with this tonight. I know I can't use the duck...but it fit.

ddpic.jpg

I would love to see better sized ones (ie: 300 dpi, with no jpeg compession...aka...tif file, in printable CMYK)....

Sorry, the graphic designer in me started to act up there...I just beat him into submission...

imaguitargod said:
I would love to see better sized ones (ie: 300 dpi, with no jpeg compession...aka...tif file, in printable CMYK)....

Sorry, the graphic designer in me started to act up there...I just beat him into submission...

I hear ya!! I just don't have the programs or the ability to do it!! When it comes to graphic design, I'm a mess.

Gotta say, I prefer the red as well. BUT... what colour is the sauce? if it's red, then the yellow might be a better option. I agree with the comment about the yellow label contrasting the red "boxes" better... on the red label, I would be tempted to remove the box from behind the "devil duck"

May I ask.... where does the "fair feathered friends" bit come from? Is it a pun at all on fair weather friends?

The sauce is a yellowish green (and I didn't use mustard.) It's...well it's odd looking and it sticks to glass too.

...and yes, fair weather friends was twisted up.

If anyone was wondering, "Why Devil Duck?". Well, Duck is my last name, and I just had to go with that!

HERE'S A GOOD IDEA.

"I came up with this tonight. I know I can't use the duck...but it fit."

D.D. - Why don't you run your ideas past "Angry Pepper"? Ryan is a fellow chilihead with a good grasp on professional hot sauce labels. Also, his pricing is very reasonable. You can ask Huvason about his work as a reference. This is the single most important success ingredient in your up-coming marketing program.

Hey DD,

I'm gonna be honest here and tell you that these designs need some work. You've got a decent concept going that could end up looking great if put in the right hands. Even if it's not me, try to work work out a deal with either a professional, or student graphic designer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but think I recall you stating that you were going to start out in local gourmet and specialty shops. Whether you're in a specialty or main stram market, you're going to need a label that pops. In a sea of other sauces on a shelf, the label is what's going to set your's apart from the rest and draw attention to it. Not to mention a label design says TONS about your sauce in regard to quality. If the label looks cheap and unprofessional, odds are that your average joe shmoe consumer is going to think the contents are cheap. I know you already said that you in so many words aren't artisticly inclined and don't have the proper programs to do what it is you're striving to do, but that's why there's those of use that are able to find employment in such fields. The only time that a simple label really sells is either when a good and precise marketing stategy has been executed and/or the manufacturer is already established in the industry and name recognition alone does the trick. What I've gathered so far from your postings both here and on the HSB is that you don't have a solid game plan, so you're going to need every gimmick in the book to get off the ground. Reviews of a sauce will only go so far because the majority of consumers do not read these forums. You're gonna need something that will smack them upside the head and say "look at me!". Just some constructiive advise. If that duck that you're using is copyrighted, or is a registered trademark, you really need to come up with a logo before even thinking about a label if you're going to incorporate your logo into the prime display of the label. Anywho, I urge you to at least consult someone to get some help. Don't take this as a put down, you actually did pretty good for not having the proper resources, but it could use some improvement. Later.

I rest my case about Angry Pepper". What he presented here is right on the mark. A maker cannot piece-meal his or her way into the market. You first need to pull together a complete business plan (sales & marketing is a sub-heading) that is fully integrated. Then your label has to be a sharp representation of the image you intend to push into the marketplace. The SBA's SCORE (Senior Corp of Retired Executives) program might be a good place to receive some fairly cheap consultation on the business plan. - E.Z.

Nope, just regular orange habs.

Ryan and EZ--
I know what I came up with isn't ready for production. I was messing around with ideas and that's what I came up with. I didn't think it was all that bad for using stock pieces from Print Shop Deluxe. ...and yes I agree that even if/when I become a business, there has to be a master plan. In a sea of sauce, I'm a nobody. This is why I bounce some ideas off you guys. I need to know if I'm on the right track or need to do a complete rethink. Right now, I don't have money to pay anyone to do work for me, so I have to do what I can on my own. I'm sucking up as much information as my little brain can handle and have to process everything. When I'm ready, I'll make a few calls and see what happens.

I really appreciate the constructive criticism. Because if anyone needs it, it's me.

DD,
you are on the right track, at least you got an idea of what your label is going to look like. To make it professional looking you have to shell out some money unfortunately, but it won't be much as you have the basic idea. Plus we have many labels designers in this forum, so i am sure you can get a discount..:)

CONSTRUCTIVE ADVISE !

DevilDuck said:
I really appreciate the constructive criticism. Because if anyone needs it, it's me.

What I said (and Ryan) is not to be considered critisim at all - constructive or otherwise! What we are providing is simply good advise (based on experience) on how to begin, and then how to keep your ducks-in-a-row (sorry, couldn't reisist). I know what it means to live my life on the ragged edge of a dream, like all self-made entrepreneurs. It's a long, tough path but that is what makes the succuss so sweet-tasting when you finally achieve it. All I am saying is have a road map - a firm progressive plan-of-action where every interim goal leads to the next interim goal. That way you'll be less likely to lose your way and end up as debris alongside life's highway. - E.Z.

I understand. I'm in no way ready to take the plunge, just yet. Lot's to do, and I want to do this right. I really don't want 850 bottles of sauce taking up a spare bedroom and can't sell it.

Back