free Round 2 - Free Yellow Rocoto Seeds...

Wanted to let you know that the seeds arrived - Thanks Again! :)

Had a couple of questions for you about these, figure I'd post them here, as others who are also enjoying your generous offer might also benefit from this!

First off, as you may already know, "Rocoto" is NOT the name of a particular kind of pepper, but is rather a generic name used to refer to any pepper in the Capsicum pubescens species (much like a market might label a Yellow Bhut Jolokia with the generic name "Yellow Chile").

Do you know what variety of pepper this actually is? (either the variety name, or the PI, GRIN, CGN or CAP #).

The area where a C. pubescens came from can also tell us something about that pepper's desired growing conditions. For example, a pepper that grows naturally high in the Andes mountains is likely to have different optimum growing conditions than say, a pepper native to the jungles of Ecuador. The C. pubescens species of peppers are thus often identified by the area from which they came.

Do you happen to know the country of origin for this particular pepper?

Lastly, C. pubescens pepper varieties have varying and often extremely long growing seasons - in some cases, so long that the plant will not even produce any pods (or perhaps only a few), until their second year!

About how many months did it take for these to produce peppers, and is this one of those varieties that does not produce well until it's second year?

I do not know whether you will be able to answer all of these questions or not - but the only way to find out is to ask! ;) But this species of pepper plants (C. pub.) can be quite "finicky" at times outside it's native climate - so any answers you can provide will be very helpful to those of us growing this specific variety for the first time, and will be most appreciated!

Thanks Again! :)

To Nicole: You might want to give this species another try - your area of the country is actually more conducive to growing these things than we are in Texas! What problems were you having with these - germinating, growing, or producing?

josh if you've got paypal i'd be more than willing to pay for shipping to my country. =D

Hey I am really sorry but I am trying to keep this simple for me. I already caved for one person not in the US and don't want to do that again. I hope I haven't offended you because that is not my intention.

Wanted to let you know that the seeds arrived - Thanks Again! :)

That is good to hear...

Do you know what variety of pepper this actually is? (either the variety name, or the PI, GRIN, CGN or CAP #).

No idea. They originally came from a fellow member Five Star last season. I believe he found them while grocery shopping. He lives in North Carolina.

Do you happen to know the country of origin for this particular pepper?

No clue.

Lastly, C. pubescens pepper varieties have varying and often extremely long growing seasons - in some cases, so long that the plant will not even produce any pods (or perhaps only a few), until their second year!

About how many months did it take for these to produce peppers, and is this one of those varieties that does not produce well until it's second year?

I started them in the middle of February. I can't remember exactly when I had my first pod but based on pictures it may have been as late as August 26th. That would be a little over 6 months from seed to fruit.

Hey I am really sorry but I am trying to keep this simple for me. I already caved for one person not in the US and don't want to do that again. I hope I haven't offended you because that is not my intention.

understood.

I know this pepper by the name "Manzano." This is my favorite pepper. Not too hot but has great flavor.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Manzano:

Manzano is pronounced: mahn zah noh. Manzano chiles are relatives of the hot and spicy South American rocoto pepper. Manzano chilis are used most often in their fresh form because the pods are so thick that they are difficult to dry. They are great for making hot salsas. The manzano chile pepper is unusual in that it has black seeds. The Manzano pepper is one of the few chilies that are cultivated in Mexico that are not included in the Capsicum annuum species. It is part of the Capsicum pubescens species from the Andes region. Its name translates to apple, and is also known as Chile Peron, Chile Caballo, and Chile Ciruelo. It is resistant to low temperatures and is typically grown at high altitudes. It turns to a yellow-orange color when reaching maturity.

Manzano peppers generally rate between 12,000 and 30,000 Scoville units on the Scoville heat index.

Back