• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

RS67Man's 2011 pepper patch

Here goes my second year at pepper farming. Much better start this year, and a lot earlier too. It helps that I found this forum and the very generous members here. All of my seeds are from pods I received from THP members. I put the seeds for my super hots in starting medium last Wednesday, January 19th at about 8pm PDT. As of this morning, Sunday the 23rd, I have my first hook! I do not know of a C. Chinense sprouting any faster, it is a Yellow 7 Pot XXX Large from Judy. Three and a half days from planting!!!!! I hope this bodes well for the season. I have some 3.25 square pots on the way courtesy of the 'bay, and will get some potting soil for transplant once they have some roots showing from the jiffy pellets. I know about some not liking the pellets, but they came with the kit that also came with a heating mat. I will see how they work for me. I also still have the 7 Pot Brain Strain[sup]tm[/sup] plants that I started from Cappy's Mother Plant seed last July. They are going to be monsters, even with them sitting in a bay window all their life so far. As long as I don't make a major mistake I should have pods by July! The plants have been making flowers since last November, but they all drop off due to low light levels. I am surprised the plants are not leggy at all, and other than some leaves that cats have nibbled on they are doing better than I ever hoped.

My list if what I have planted so far:

Last July, two 7 pot Brain Strain[sup]tm[/sup]

January 19th planting:

Douglah
Naga Dorset
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
7 pot Yellow XXX Large
7 pot Red, or possible Butch T scorpion, but identity was lost at PNW Chili Head party
7 Pot Barrackpore
Trinidad Scorpion Red
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow
Fatalii
Peach Habanero
Chocolate Habanero
Orange Habanero

Proof of life photos!!!!!

Jiffy Pellets:
100_1425.jpg

The first hook!
100_1427.jpg

The monster 3 ft tall Brain Strain[sup]tm[/sup] plants:
100_1428.jpg

One week after putting seeds in the "ground" and I have lots of things sprouting. so far the only ones not showing are the chocolate habs, orange habs, and the 7 pot Barrackpore. Everything else has at least one jiffy pellet with something starting to show. The Peach Habs seem to be having a issue with helmet head, seed hulls stuck on the cotyledons, but I have a hands off policy, let them kick them off on their own.

If anyone is interested, I have extra seed of most of the varieties I planted. I also have lots of Fresno and Nambe Pueblo seeds. I cannot guarantee how true they will grow, probably all were open pollinated. Asking nothing more than a SASE for anyone in CONUS, PM me for more info.

Photos!

100_1431.jpg

100_1432.jpg

100_1433.jpg

I had better post a update, or this would be a lousy grow log.......

So far better than expected germination rates, but the Naga Dorset and Fatali are the laggers of the bunch. One Fatali is downright sickly, may need to put him out of its misery. All the Scorpions, 7 Pots, and Bhuts are doing good, as well as the 3 Habanero strains. Everything was re-potted into 3.25" square pots a couple weeks ago, no losses from the transplant. I may need to invest in a greenhouse so they can be taken outside a few weeks earlier. Oh Honey, can I spend some of my hard earned dough?????????
:hell: :rofl: :hell:

Photos!

100_1442.jpg

100_1441.jpg

great start there, Walt! Can't wait to see them early BrainStrains.

We just got ours planted a week ago, 5 days and first hooks are habs and some mystery pepps. We had so much fun giving away mystery peppers last year, that this year, I took any extra seeds from each variety and threw them all into a little tray together.

Say HI to Mrs. RS67 for us.

Time for a update!

The seedlings are doing way better than I had ever hoped. Having them under eight T-40 flouros 24-7 is keeping them very happy. The inter-node length has been kept to a absolute minimum, and in most cases it is less than 1/4 inch! In a couple weeks I will be adding a timer to the lights and go to a 18-6 schedule. Some seedlings are on the fifth pair of true leaves, and all are under four inches tall. Today was "The Thinning of the Herd" and all double seedlings were cut. I murdered 39 plants, keeping the strongest looking seedling in each pot. While I was at it they were misted with a solution of Epsom salts and bottom watered. Some of the more vigorous plants are starting to send new branches up from the main stem. Even the Fatali and Naga Dorset are doing good, my mostly hands off policy with them and all the seedlings is paying off. My daily thing is to check for moist soil and if the lights need moving, otherwise I don't touch or move the plants.

The wife and I have discussed the greenhouse, and she is on board with the idea! I have been keeping the seedlings in a rather small second bedroom of my two room house, (actually a single wide mobile home, truth be told) and she wants it back in case we have friends/relatives that need to stay the night. I am looking at a 6'X8' 'house that Costco sells or one similar. If anyone has suggestions for a seller or who to go to I am all ears.

Photos!!!!!

Tray of Bhuts and Barrackpore before thinning:
100_1450.jpg

After thinning:
100_1453.jpg

Check out the inter-node length!
100_1452.jpg

Tray of scorps and Fatali before:
100_1454.jpg

and after (The Fatali are in the row closest to camera):
100_1455.jpg

The 7 Pot tray:
100_1456.jpg

And before and after Habanero tray with 3 Naga Dorset in the lower left:
100_1458.jpg

100_1459.jpg

So far this is turning out to be a good year, I hope it keeps going like this!!! :onfire:

Thats incredible! such great growth! You have me beat by a mile.
"Thinning the herd" is the most painful part!

Kevin

I was thinking on using Jiffy pellets next year. do you just drop them in a bigger pot or take them out of the pellet? Very nice plants by the way. They look awesome..

Paco,
When I potted up I carefully cut the white "netting" from the pellets, and plopped them into the larger pots with new soil. Jiffy pellets do not have the best reputation here, quite a few members did not have much success with them. They seemed to work OK for me, however I will probably do it differently next time. I can make my own "pellets" using paper and a special tool to form small pots and use my own soil.

Thank you everyone for the nice comments!

Back