• Do you need help identifying a šŸŒ¶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? šŸ¤§
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

RS67Man's Garden of 2010

I thought I would share my little plot of weeds and show the very first peppers I have ever tried to grow. This is only my second year with the garden, last year was a success, albeit started very late in the season. I still have a LONG way to go with this garden, but I am dealing with some very very rocky ground in what they call Spanaway Spud Country. Digging out the raised bed plots is a lot of work, and I am recovering from minor surgery at the moment. I still have about 5 more raised beds 4'x16' planned, going as finances, time and body will allow. I have the peppers planted in a temporary bed, one sweet bell, one "generic" jalapeƱo, and one "generic" habanero. All were purchased from a local nursery, hence the generic tag, I do not know what specific type they are. The jalapeƱo and habanero were bought and planted today, I hope they do OK. It is a very modest start, dipping the toes before jumping in I guess. The hot box I have now is something I threw together in about 30 minutes and uses a couple panes of glass I had laying in the shop. Next year I hope to have a 4'x16' bed with a removable hot box cover for my peppers and tomato's. I hope I do well with this!

I have my 2010 garden photos at photo bucket, seen here at this LINK

My lonely "generic" habanero:
000_0098.jpg

The quickie hotbox covering my 3 peppers.
000_0100.jpg

RS67Man: Everyone has to start somewhere. This is my first year attemnpting to grow peppers. My plants are still small, had one that died and a tabasco plant that is on it's last leg. I have 4 Bhut's seeded but no sprouts yet, have some banana peppers that just sprouted and a habanero and jalapeno plant that is about 2-3" tall. Just trying to get my feet wet this year and expand next year.

Good luck.

You have a good start,The desire to grow something.keep a close eye on the cold frame temprature.it will cook your plants during the day if its not vented.JMO, I would remove it during daylight then return it over night if the temps. get too low or frost is forcast.Good luck, and there is wealth of info. on this site.just ask for help or ideas, everyone is willing to help.

Welcome to the world of peppers RS67Man. This is a great place to learn about peppers. Looking forward to watching how you do. Don't be afraid to ask questions, this place is full of knowledge and people willing to share it.

I plan on pulling hot house off on any day it threatens to reach 60f outside. As long as it doesn't go below 50f at night it will stay off. I grew up with a garden, but parents did not like peppers, and never grew them. Mom always tried to grow tomatoes, never had much luck with them. My first year, late start, I actually got some tomatoes even though a mother in law with good intentions cut all the leaves off and told me they were "suckers". :crazy: She is gone so I have complete control of garden! I will keep ya all post with the peppers!

Have been reading posts, and found that majority consensus is to clip off early flower buds so plant will continue to grow before setting fruit. The jalapeƱo at 6 in tall and bell pepper at 8 in tall had early buds. I went out and clipped off the buds that were big enough so I could reach with a small pair of very sharp scissors. Should I continue to clip until end of May or so? Or when the plants are a certain height?

A week has passed, so new pics are taken. Not much new growth, plants are probably getting over the shock of transplant and dealing with chilly nights. (40's) I see a bit of leaf curl, mainly on the Hab, should I be concerned? I have not fertilized them, wanted to wait for the transplant shock to wear off first. I have some purple jalapeƱo seeds coming, I might have them today.

Habanero, leaf curl?
000_0104.jpg

JalapeƱo:
000_0106.jpg

JalapeƱo lower growth:
000_0105.jpg

Bell:
000_0108.jpg

All photos were taken in the morning.

Hey there Walt. I sent you a PM. I live not so far away from you and if you like I have a few extra Bhut, Peter pepper, hot banana, and Bolivian Rainbow plants I could spare so that you can enjoy a few different peppers this year. Let me know if your interested.

Maligator

Thank You Maligator! I picked up the plants this morning, and made it home safe. My plant count has nearly quadrupled because of some extreme kindness. I now have 3 bhuts, 2 peter peppers, 2 Bolivian rainbows, 2 hot bananas, and one long red slim Cayenne to go with my Hab, JalapeƱo, and bell. Took some pics when I got home:

000_0115.jpg

Bhuts
000_0117.jpg

Peter Peppers
000_0116.jpg

Hot Banana
000_0120.jpg

The purple JalapeƱo seeds I bought off of a popular 'bay seller came today, even got some orange habanero seeds for free, and a little packet of Dragon Dust. Can't wait till I get some pizza to sprinkle the Dragon dust on unless someone has a better idea? Planted 4 of the Purple JalapeƱo seeds, hope to get 50% germination rate.

Went to the local grocery store today to pick up epsom salt and ivory soap. They had a bunch of pepper plants for sale, early jalapeno, some sort of anahiem, and bells. I thought this bell needed a new home so I brought it home.......

000_0132.jpg

000_0135.jpg

Nice little crop you have going, great variety. You'll be surprised at how hot those Bhuts are, but they take a long time to get ripe.

I had started some seeds a while ago, Purple JalapeƱo and Orange Habanero, using formed paper "cups" made with a tool I machined out of hickory. They are finally starting to sprout, the Habs are ahead of the JalapeƱos for some odd reason. One of the JalapeƱos came up with the seed hull securely wrapped around the cotyledons, it looked like a stem with a tan knob on the end. I carefully snipped the edge of the seed hull with a sharp pair of scissors, the seedling is actually growing through the slit. I am leaving it alone just to see if it makes it. These are my first try from seeds, and I know they are a bit late, but I had to get my feet wet and learn from any mistakes. If anything I will over winter the best looking Habanero, so it has a good start for next year. One of the Habs has a Cotyledon that is split, so the seedling looks like it has three. Makes me think of a snakes forked tongue!

Not much happening in the garden, we have had a long bout of cool, wet, and miserable weather. Nights in the 40's, days in the 50's. Had a couple days get into the low 60's, with a little sun. I have the potted peppers under cover outside so they are not continually soaked.

Haven't updated lately due to wet, damp, chilly, rainy, cold, did I say wet, miserable weather. Everything in the garden has more or less stopped growing. My pepper plants are all now in a raised bed, but are looking kinda sad. I started my first seeds, 3 Purple JalapeƱos, ans 3 Orange Habanero. The JalapeƱos are looking fantastic! The habs are doing good, I had one with 3 cotyledons, and another that "split" at the second true leaves. That one is going better than the others, but how common is it for a plant to "Siamese" at the second true leaf?

Supporting photos!

Purple JalapeƱo:
000_0147.jpg

The "Siamese" Orange Habanero:
000_0145.jpg

000_0146.jpg

A side view of a purple JalapeƱo, this is the one that the seed hull was stuck on the plant, so the cotyledons are misshapen;
000_0150.jpg

A overall shot of my little indoor floro setup:
000_0149.jpg

im guessin when you say siamesed you mean the plant starting to fork off. some plants will do that some don't its nothing to worry about. hows the leaf curl on that hab doing? nice plants walt keep it up its addicting huh?

The hab out in the garden is doing .....so so like the rest. Everything has leaf curl, dropping leaves and flowers, and starting to get some sort of fungal infection (leaf spots) I need to do something about. All because of the wettest and coolest spring EVER on record for the Puget Sound area of Washington. We set several new records, like the latest it has ever been in the year without reaching 75f. (we haven't had a day at or above 75f yet!) It is actually a nice day today, no clouds, warmest it has been this year at 70+!!! I am thinking that once everything gets growing again because it is warmer and drier, some of my problems will go away. I am thinking I will be overwintering my Bhuts and habs.. not expecting much from them this year.... I am just hoping the Bhuts even make it, they are the worst looking plants I have had.... :(

I just had to try peppers during the worst start in the gardening season we have ever had.......... :violin:

I just had to try peppers during the worst start in the gardening season we have ever had.......... :violin:

Hey dude I feel your pain. I too am from WA the Bellingham area and like you am just starting out. I am totally disgusted with the season's weather. So far I have only 2 bells and 2 jalapenos in a homemade SWC. The other day I walked by that box and all my peppers rolled their eyes at me and started shivering. They sure know how to make a guy feel bad. Hopefully the weather will improve quickly or this year will be a big bust.

Larrick

I am so dam PO'd right now. The weather has been a mix of thunderstorms, rain, hail, and all that. Todays high temp was 55f! we had two halfway nice days, then right back to the fracking lousy weather we have been having all freaking spring. All of the plants are bad, I have mold growing on my spinach and swiss chard. I think the peppers are about to die off, they all have spots on the leaves, curling, drooping, dropping and wilting. There is nothing I can do unless this *^%$ weather warms up and dries off. The only plants that are doing good are the pepper seedlings I have indoors, and unbelievably the tomatoes. I have had to replant wax beans and cucumbers because they came up then were damped off due to the wet and cold. AAAARRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

Photos of the destruction:

The generic Habanero. I think it is almost dead:
000_0153.jpg

The generic JalapeƱo, with the fungus spots that all the peppers have to some degree:
000_0152.jpg

What is left of a Bhut, its a goner for sure:
000_0155.jpg

I am beginning to think that it is a waste of time to try to grow peppers this far north.........

Back