• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

S.I.P./Quarantine Cooking

Well, we are all in a mess, so lets have some fun and learn a few things along the way!  First and foremost might be that...you can make a burrito at home!!!  That's a bit facetious talking to this crowd here on THP, who have some of the maddest cooking skills on the interwhebz. 

SO, lets post what we are cooking at home, what is made from the pantry, what was out of but substituted, all basic cooking skills.....

I'll get it started!

A couple days ago, talking with my son who is now 21 and living on his own for the last 2 years, he said..."I gotta go, Mom, the roasted chicken is done.  We're gonna eat dinner now."  :sniff:  AWW!!!!  I'm a happy mom.....

Here's what we did for family entertainment last weekend.  We rented Milo and Otis...for the DOG to watch!!!
IMG_20200314_125806834.jpg

IMG_20200314_125628239.jpg

what's in the meat drawer- pork chops
Pantry- wild rice (doctored up majorly!)
Breading with pantry crackers
tomatoes (cuz that was the best FRESH veg I could come up with.)
IMG_20200322_173317723.jpg

I didn't have Panko, so I blitzed some Mary's pepper crackers in the food processor with some flour,  added some spices and pepper powders, dredged the chops in seasoned egg/milk wash and then cracker crumbs.  Pan Fry in cast iron skillet with a bit of oil until golden brown and done.

IMG_20200322_185622385.jpg

IMG_20200322_190919767.jpg

Rice- Saute rice mix in some butter (ala Rice-A-Roni) until toasty nutty done.  Add water and chicken base/boullion, cook until done.  Key notes!  Use broth as the cooking liquid and saute the rice mix before with butter!  There are lots of quinoa, rice mixes....just don't cook with plain water.  Saute in olive oil/butter or not,  or not, but definitely use seasoning in the water. 
IMG_20200322_173455148.jpg

Looks kind of blah, but was really yummy!
IMG_20200322_191452147.jpg

next up... Pork, shrimp, LO wild rice-vs-white rice, beans........and andoulle...

share what you got cooking.  Might make this into a competition of who had the best cooking Hack, or best out of nothing dish, to be awarded when all of this shite is over.

and my husband has developed a strange affinity for watching musicals.

Paint Your Wagon
Oklahoma
Dirty Dancing (OK...that one's mine... :lol:)

I'm queuing up
Pirates of Penzance,
Showboat
South Pacific...

and Floyd's final episodes.....

Tuna Melt Pizza, what an idea!  Perfect broil on that cheese, DTS. 

Bob65, I  like the way you put the veggies under the roast for the drippings to baste.  Perfect!

Speaking of everyone baking, the bread aisle at Hank's was more wiped out than the toilet paper aisle, which did still have 2-packs for 1.99, and also some hippy organic 4-packs of really small rolls for $4.99.  All the flour was gone.

I'll be back later with a couple cooks from the last couple days.  Today, it's pasta salad with ham. 

And now I want to drive to Hanks, don mask and gloves just so I can take a picture of that sheeze.
:lol:
I didn't look at it too close, just saw organic and 65% recycled post-consumer something. First question is, how can they assure all the recycled stuff is organic? I probably read it wrong....but anyway....

salsalady said:
And now I want to drive to Hanks, don mask and gloves just so I can take a picture of that sheeze.
I didn't look at it too close, just saw organic and 65% recycled post-consumer something. First question is, how can they assure all the recycled stuff is organic? I probably read it wrong....but anyway....

65% recycled post consumer toilet paper.

The comedy hits.

Just keep coming!

salsalady said:
Speaking of everyone baking, the bread aisle at Hank's was more wiped out than the toilet paper aisle, which did still have 2-packs for 1.99, and also some hippy organic 4-packs of really small rolls for $4.99.  All the flour was gone.

The Androscoggin Mill, which has about 500 employees, produces can an estimated 425,000 tons of paper per year, as well as flexible packaging papers, release liner base, specialty labels, kraft papers, and liner board

Good thing that paper plants half million tons of paper products doesn't include TP! Then they'd even be less! 

salsalady said:

texas blues said:
65% recycled post consumer toilet paper.

The comedy hits.

Just keep coming!
Does that mean they are salvaging the toilet paper after it has been used?????

Asking for a friend!!!!!

KBK, yummy looking indy pizza. I like the post of the bottom side~~~~Mmmm

temps are always going to be an issue with me. Too long on heat and I release the oil from the fat too much. Too little and no browning. Trying to find a medium is tricky. Next time I might pull out my grill. Even with that probably not much improvement. I went with the cheese I had on hand which was probably not ideal. Not really the best low moisture, but adequate for the job.  

While i'm dreaming, one day if my stock portfolio improves enough I should figure out a way to build an outdoor pizza oven. 

Well, I am pretty sure Hanks does not have a toilet paper reclamation operation on their premises....but not sure.....

Maybe the hippydippy TP mfg has some proprietary process??

keybrdkid said:
temps are always going to be an issue with me. Too long on heat and I release the oil from the fat too much. Too little and no browning. Trying to find a medium is tricky. Next time I might pull out my grill. Even with that probably not much improvement. I went with the cheese I had on hand which was probably not ideal. Not really the best low moisture, but adequate for the job.  

While i'm dreaming, one day if my stock portfolio improves enough I should figure out a way to build an outdoor pizza oven.

I've done some bakes in the bbq grill with a stone with good results. John and I have wanted for a bake oven. Some day....

SUNSET MAGAZINE has a blueprint....tablet is out of power....will post links brb....

salsalady said:
I've done some bakes in the bbq grill with a stone with good results. John and I have wanted for a bake oven. Some day....

SUNSET MAGAZINE has a blueprint....tablet is out of power....will post links brb....

I'll try a pizza stone or pizza steel in a while. I've seen some good ones. One problem I had on my first pizza of the week was that my first pizza stuck to my pizza peel and folded over, even after I floured it. I was trying to heat the pizza plate up first and got that result instead. I found I was better off just making the whole pizza on the tray and just sticking it in the oven as is. 

Back