• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Safe practice for cooling sauce

Can someone let me know the safe practice for cooling sauce once it has been bottled and turned upside down for a few minutes. Does it need to be chilled quickly? This is in relation to a vinegar based sauce with ph of around 4.

The purpose of turning the bottle upside down is so the heated sauce can come in contact with the inside of the cap to sterilize/kill the nasties. It's generally said that if the sauce is 180F, the sauce needs to be in contact with the cap for 3 minutes. I'm not a food scientist or process authority. This information is based on my process authority's recommended processing for a similar pH sauce.

After the 3 minutes are up, cool down time is not important. You can leave the bottles upsidedown in the cases for later, or turn them back out and label them right now.

edit- just saw the UK- 180F = 82C

Thanks Salsalady. I understand about the safe bottling process, I was unsure though if the sauce must then quickly be brought down to a cool temperature. Thank you for your reply.

Steve

Back