• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Sage Guidance Needed in how to Grow Bhut Jolokia Peppers

Over the past weekend while I was in Albuquerque for the NFFS, my Bhut Jolokia seeds arrived. I'm a bit concerned that I'm past the starting point for the growing season. And candidly this is the first time I've ever attempted to grow anything.

So with that said I could really use your help in how best to pull this little growing feat off. I've considered going with hydroponics, as it seems like a good method for my area. Plus I have virtually no room in my backyard.

If you have links that could aid in my quest those would be much appreciated as well.

I'm a damn gardening newbie...any help would be most appreciated!

Being in Texas, your grow season should be longer than most of us in the US. I would say plant them, Keeping the soil 75 or above will help with germination, a seedling heat mat helps. If you are worried about frost later in the season, you can always grow them in 5 gallon containers so you can bring them inside at night. I have heard of people growing the same plant 3-4 years by over wintering the plant inside.

This is my first year successfully growing Bhut's, last year they died as seedlings. I cannot say from experience, but I have been told they are 150ish days to mature pods, which would put you into early october probably.

your weather down in Houston isn't that much different than mine is up here in Fort Worth with the exception of the high humitidy...I had great luck with the Bhuts/Nagas last year...got about 2 pounds a plant if I remember correctly...

the key is, of course starting early...what you will find is that the Bhuts (and most of the other chinense) will stop setting pods about the middle to end of July and won't start pod set again until September when the weather cools a bit...from what I have read (and found it to be true), once the night time temperatures do not drop below 80F, the pollen becomes sterile...

120-150 days from transplant is probably a good rule of thumb for pod production, but you have to add in the down time in the summer, so say 160-180 days from transplant...it is the middle of march...if you plant now, you will be transplanting to larger containers (I use 3" square for my first transplant), in a month, so that is the middle of April...another month puts them into 5 gallon containers for their second and final transplant, so that puts your plant out about the middle of May...this is where the 160-180 days start....figure the middle of November you will have pods and another few weeks for pod production/harvesting...we get our first freeze up here in Fort Worth about the end of the first week of December (5th, 6th, or 7th) and that ends the season...you won't get a freeze that early down in Houston as a general rule....

what all my rambling is trying to say is "Yes, plant those suckers now".....

I don't know how you are equiped with your growing setup since you are a newby...I am a dirt farmer that grows exclusively in 5 gallon containers...it just works for me...

figure out what kind of seed starting setup you are going to use and what you have available...something as simple as a heavy duty cardboard box large enough to hold your starting trays with an incandescent light bulb for heat will work...just have to be careful with the heat, wiring and fire hazard...if you are handy with a saw and screwdriver or hammer, you could build one out of thin plywood (1/4")...if you do build one, remember, you need some air circulation also once the seedlings start to come up and you also need to pour the light to them to keep them from getting "leggy"....

IMO, the number one thing for Bhut seed germination is temperature and moisture...you want to keep the seeds as close to constant 85F as you can and you want to keep the seed starting medium damp, not soaking...

I am sure AlabamaJack has much more experience than I do. But i did grow Naga Jolokia (PC-1) last year and have them up again this year, along with some Bhut Jolokia seeds new for this year.

My set up couldn't get much simpler. Not because of lack of effort but because of lack of funds.

I start my seeds on our pool table (it the room closest to the furnace, stays a bit warmer than the rest of the house.) I got 4' florescent lighting fixtures and I mix 1 warm and 1 cool bulb in each. ( I think mine are GE bulbs sunlight and their basic cool bulb.) I got jiffy 72 count starting trays and use a mix of miracle grow potting soil, jiffy organic seed starting mix, miracle grow perlite,and a 6 month fertilizer. I usually eyeball it but if i had to guess (10 4 1 .25) mix. After mixing it all together and fill my starting trays, placing my seeds and covering the with more mix, I always water everything for the first time with the hottest water that will come out of the tap. Remember when watering it is easy to add more, not so easy to dry things out quickly.

Well there you have it. My cheap way to grow. Good Luck.

Wow, thank you all for the awesome information! I've printed this thread and will be planting on Saturday. Let's hope that I get at least one seed to take root...

Not to discourage you, with all the postive feedback but I cannot get a good start on superhots.

Had them in Dixie cups with a sterilized seed starter, on a heat pad and under a cardboard box, many seeds started and many fizzled out, Bhut's, Habaneros and Yellow 7 Pods.

I tried again and sprouted some Scotch Bonnet's in Burpee coconut shell based pellets on the heat pad and under the box.

I have Naga Morich, a variety of Habaneros, Black Cobra, Yellow 7 Pods and Bhut's on wet paper towels in ziplocks on the heat pad. Definitely moist and warm but not a seed has cracked. On the other hand, a few Naga's sprouted in the the Burpee pellets in Dixie cups.

Back