• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe salsa recipe

hi all looking to make my very first salsa! i dont want to make it to hot just yet, what is a good mild recipe and how and what will be needed? thanks everyone. :)

+1 JayT....that is the best starting recipe there is....and that is the way I still make my salsa...

equal parts, tomatos, jalapenos, and onion...if I make the salsa to eat that day, I use the cilantro and lime juice...but, the cilantro goes "slimy" in a day or two, so if I want it to last a few days in the refrigerator, I wait to add the cilantro and lime juice when I serve/use it...

thanks for the tips!
+1 JayT....that is the best starting recipe there is....and that is the way I still make my salsa...

equal parts, tomatos, jalapenos, and onion...if I make the salsa to eat that day, I use the cilantro and lime juice...but, the cilantro goes "slimy" in a day or two, so if I want it to last a few days in the refrigerator, I wait to add the cilantro and lime juice when I serve/use it...

A small dice of those ingredients will create your basic salsa. Or use a messaluna for a nice rustic chop (works best with crisp veg and fruit, like peppers and herbs). Don't whirl it in a food processor unless you intend to cook it, with tomato-based fresh salsa it is best to hand chop or it turns frothy.

For tomato salsa use ripe, thick flesh/low juice tomatoes, like Roma.

My preference for salsa is pureed, and pepper-based, not tomato based. Like what you get at real Mexican restaurants. They have pico too but that is usually added to some of their dishes. Table salsa is usually a pureed pepper base.

Next step: Add your favorite flavors and build upon it.

Back