• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Salsa Verde Without Tomatillos?

filmost said:
Haha you guys rock, had a good laugh there. Thanks boss man! Got plenty of apples here too, so that I can definitely try!

Try it! :)

Not rawwwww of course. ;)

The Hot Pepper said:
So you are suggesting raw poblanos and anaheims? Okay. I like green peppers cooked in a pureed salsa. Roasted actually for best flavor. A raw green salsa does not sound that appetizing to me.
Seerusly? Come to Twisp. I make fo you. You like beddy much.
The Hot Pepper said:
You've BEAN drunk.
The only person ever called BEAN was my mother. 5' tall and 101lbs soakin wet. Imonna get some pictures.. You will love this. Mañana.

filmosty - you are in JAPAN! Go to the local produce market, pick out some green stuff, and PLAY with it! You know what you're after, so that will help you weed out the less likely players.

Scov and I just had a 10 minute discussion about cooking salsa verde. I prefer the mellow, blended flavor of cooked. He does not. I love the green apple idea Boss! Makes me wonder what a green banana would add. Not a plantain. A really green banana. Maybe 1/2 of one. My mental taste buds are going crazy tonight!

dear scovie,

Only thing you cook is your brain...

and garbage cans

:lol:

The Hot Pepper said:
dear scovie,

Only thing you cook and garbage cans:lol:
Not even Mole? Poached eggs? Chili? :mope: :cry: :mope:

Well I got news for you pal, not only am I gonna post picture of my Mother the "Bean" I will post pictures of the vat of chili her mother taught me to love. It will be a picture fest.

Speaking of picture fest. I showed Hogleg my ORIGINAL Mole recipe when he was here. He held it up with two fingers and told me to "put that shit in the Smithsonian". :Rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Aww crap. Green peppers and some chips. Salsa Verde. Still on topic hahahahahahahahahahah

Scoville DeVille said:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=faNqHcra7tY
Anyone that cooks their salsa should be observed 375 feet below the surface of the earth for a minimum of a lifetime.
I guess you should never go to Mexico, salsa verde is usually roasted or boiled ingredients, only raw if the tomatillo is super ripe but also a different flavor. Why are you against roasting or cooking ingredients for salsa verde? Are you confusing it with pico or cruda? Raw it is usually called salsa verde cruda. But not sure of why you are so against the other.

If the verde is for enchiladas or chilaquiles it is always cooked in a saucepan after being blended, no matter if the ingredients were raw, boiled, or roasted. I've never seen raw salsa verde on enchiladas.

PS. You can find canned tomatillos, but not sure in Japan. If serious about trying real verde, maybe mail order a couple cans?

filmost said:
I might being some cans back when I visit this year, but I'm thinking I could just grow some.

Definitely grow them.  They'll be very tomato-y in habit though larger and more branching.  You can stake them or cage them but they'll likely grow through/over/around, just give them room.  Nothing quite like a tomatillo, and you'd be surprised how many different uses you'll find for them.  Me - I like em grill or oven roasted w garlic and hatch chiles - then they take a spin in a food processor before I add diced red onion, a touch of lime juice and a bit of finely chopped cilantro and serrano pepper.  REALLY good food dude. ;)  

I could SOOOOOO totally HIJACK this thread,

But I'll settle for pointing out that the word "salsa" translates to "sauce".  Anything can be a "sauce"- cooked, uncooked, blended, chunky.... red, green, blue, silver,....  (Oh, Sorry There!  Got a little side tracked with GoHawks colors!!! :lol:)

And of course "verde" means "green" ....

So- just like saying "pepper mash" does not automatically mean "fermented ground up chiles", "salsa verde" can mean any number of green sauces.  I do believe there are green mole' recipes, which, technically, would qualify as a "salsa verde" or "green sauce".

Carry on~

Filmost-post pics of what you can find and how it works.  Have fun experimenting!

salsalady said:
I could SOOOOOO totally HIJACK this thread,

But I'll settle for pointing out that the word "salsa" translates to "sauce".  Anything can be a "sauce"- cooked, uncooked, blended, chunky.... red, green, blue, silver,....  (Oh, Sorry There!  Got a little side tracked with GoHawks colors!!! :lol:)

And of course "verde" means "green" ....

So- just like saying "pepper mash" does not automatically mean "fermented ground up chiles", "salsa verde" can mean any number of green sauces.  I do believe there are green mole' recipes, which, technically, would qualify as a "salsa verde" or "green sauce".

Carry on~

Filmost-post pics of what you can find and how it works.  Have fun experimenting!
I think most people know salsa verde translates to green sauce in Spanish but it means something very specific in Mexico. Just like white sauce means something very specific in Alabama. It doesn't mean you can put anything white on your chicken and call it Alabama white sauce. ;)

Salsda verde is a tomatillo salsa by tradition, unless you use the loose translation to mean any green sauce. But the OP is referring to the specific salsa.

Scoville DeVille said:
Go Google Google again.

I put 'salsa verde' into the googler.  Of the first 4 links, 3 are recipes for a tomatillo salsa.  Of those recipes only 1 offers an 'all raw' option where the tomatillos are not cooked, but that version does indeed sound quite tasty.

Tomatillo flavor no substitute I feel ,of course I have grown them and at a point of ripeness they are so so sweet like a sweet fruit 'Rio Grande' can't remember the name of my favorite

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Back