labels Sam & Oliver Sparks, Flare & Burst (dry spice labels)

So here's a preliminary concept of 3 dry spices, I thought to take a slight risk with the colors to keep the dry spice lines separate from the wet sauce lines (as will be the two BBQ sauce lines):

Sparks is an adobo seasoning is a dry spice blend of salt, onion, garlic, cumin, chipotle and other delicious things.  It smells divine and can be used on anything from vegetables, potatoes and steak to pizza, fries, sandwiches and more.

Flare is a mango-chipotle dry spice that has a great nose and adds some mellow sweetness to things like mashed potatoes, roasted butternut squash and even right on pork chops, etc.  Definite sweetness with a warm chipotle end note.

Burst heavily focuses on cracked 'gourmet grind' black pepper as it's primary nose and body.  I didn't go with butcher grind because it was too coarse.  Red pepper, Cayenne and other spices round this out, very close to concept of a steak or chicken grilling seasoning blend but with NO salt.  I know people argue whether to put salt on before or after grilling a steak, and I decided to err on the side of a) healthy and b) you can always add salt later which is c) another future line coming (smoked sea salt).  Salt can always be added later but not easily removed.

Here's the concept work (note, most fields are simply borrowed from the Cinder / Stoke line, but the label is not the same size as a woozy, this is 3x6" instead of 3.25 x 5.5".  Because of this, the center panel needed to be 1/2" wider so it didn't appear "boxed" by a white bar on each side when viewed.

Also to note: these are printed in 2 color in an effort to reduce cost of reproduction.  A 3rd color could be added but will require an extra plate and higher per-label costs.

Sparks1.png

Flare1.png

Burst1.png

Example1.png

Thoughts?  Too wacky with the colors?  To hard to read the colors?

Sam & Oliver said:
k2-_1c0b04a5-0b22-40f4-854f-98448f92462d.v1.jpg

OK now I'm starting to see what you mean here.  Sparks is where Perfect Pinch is, so "Sparks (and subsequently Flare and Burst) should be the Line name.

Not sure why I didn't see that.  It's the cat's fault.
I believe you catch my drift now. :)

And you can also ignore me if you want lol.

The Hot Pepper said:
It's getting a little too kitschy for me.

I think you are at the point where SL said in the other thread, you are going to have to stop trying to follow your theme with every product or it becomes cheesy and looks like you are reaching. Just call it what it is. Chipotle BBQ Rub. Habanero Dust. Etc.

Or pick ONE thematic name that fits your brand for all your dry spices. Like Volcanic Peppers has Volcano Dust. That is their entire line, with the type of dust it is under it.

I don't like this. I can't even explain what it looks like. Like some tubes of different gems for 13 year old girls to stick onto their clothing. I am not being harsh. This is what I see.
This.

This is exactly my impression.

It looks like a glitter product that a teenager would use. Perfectly summed up my initial reaction.

No offense of course - just knee-jerk. They don't convey spicy or food to me & as THP suggests they're a little too cutesy and look forced, like you're forcing your theme.

Pick one name and call your line of spices that. You can use color and logo change to convey heat levels and call them "mild x", "medium x" or "hot x"

My $.02

Well, as probably not your target audience, I actually quite like the logos and general aesthetic. That might be a bit of a backhanded compliment if you're aiming for an edgy market since I'm not edgy at all. But I do buy spice rubs and sauces. If the wording were tweaked (as covered already) and I saw it on the shelf I'd probably buy it. 

Burst
Pepper Explosion

Sam & Oliver said:
Pepper explosion has multiple peppers in it, among them are black, red pepper and cayenne. 

Explosion does not mean multiple anything. I had no idea of this by reading it actually. It just seems like another attempt to tie in the fire theme. And you already had that in the line above it. Burst. Which is reallllly reaching, because burst does not conjur fire imagery to me, there is "burst into flames" but man that is reaching, I had to actually try to think of how it was tied in to get that. So you have two lines here trying hard to let people know you have a fire theme. And neither tell me what it is.

That's my main point.

ima agree with THP on this one. Sparks/Flare/Explosion don't really cover what it's supposed to be for... and kinda reminds me of pop rocks packaging lol.

perfect pinch, grill mates, bbq rub, all kinda describe the product. but your label doesn't really tell me what it is for at a glance. Which maybe is a strategy to not pigeon hole your product, but making it too generic seems like it just won't appeal to anyone.

juanitos said:
ima agree with THP on this one. Sparks/Flare/Explosion don't really cover what it's supposed to be for... and kinda reminds me of pop rocks packaging lol.

OMG I almost said Pop Rocks, and LD I almost said glitter too. I was thinking more bedazzled product lol. We're on the same page though. Hopefully it helps.

Sam & Oliver said:
So what about this then:

Tinder Box
Chipotle-Adobo Seasoning

Tinder Box
Mango-Chipotle Seasoning

Tinder Box
Salt Free Pepper Blend
Better, but sounds like you're selling matches.
;)
Why not just call them "Sam & Oliver's spice rubs" or "Sam & Oliver's Pepper Blends"

Too much branding, naming, logo'ing confuses the shit out of me, and I'm not the sort who confuses easily.

Most consumers are less marketing savvy. Usually best to aim to the lowest denominator.

My marketing instructor used to say "the second you have to explain what your product is, you've lost the sale".

Are Sam & Oliver brothers and is that explained on your romance panel? Even if it isn't... okay just a brainstorm...

Sam & Oliver
Spice Brothers
Chipotle-Adobo Seasoning

Sam & Oliver
Spice Brothers

Mango-Chipotle Seasoning

Sam & Oliver
Spice Brothers

Salt Free Pepper Blend

or

Sam & Oliver
Spice Dawg
Chipotle-Adobo Seasoning

Sam & Oliver
Spice Dawg
Mango-Chipotle Seasoning

Sam & Oliver
Spice Dawg
Salt Free Pepper Blend

Just brainstorming!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried that with Sidekicks but that's registered to Knorr
I don't even know if they use a product with it, but it's registered :p

Quick question:

Salt-Free Pepper Blend

or:

Three Pepper Blend

with a "Salt free!" badge somewhere else.

I keep reading your signature line as if it were part of your reply.  This like like the 100th time I have pondered why you are mentioning deep frying, lol.

I'm out of here for the day.  Need some liquid refreshment to clear my head.

Here's your problem. I like them ...

It's a problem because I'm not representative of the meat and potatoes of your customers in all likelihood.

It's not lost on me that you are doing the black & white + color thing - someone else I know does that ... and I buy the shit out of it.

Here come's the part where I offend some folks ... well, nevermind, allow me to spare myself and say instead ...

You don't package churned butter in art deco packaging ...

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I do not make rubs but mostly I keep my names as what they are and only a few have made up names. 

I don't know why ... you could be selling me shit where 85% of the weight in granules come from Costco ...

That's how you scale-out your space, bro =)

grantmichaels said:
Here's your problem. I like them ...

It's a problem because I'm not representative of the meat and potatoes of your customers in all likelihood.

It's not lost on me that you are doing the black & white + color thing - someone else I know does that ... and I buy the shit out of it.

Here come's the part where I offend some folks ... well, nevermind, allow me to spare myself and say instead ...

You don't package churned butter in art deco packaging ...

I don't know why ... you could be selling me shit where 85% of the weight in granules come from Costco ...

That's how you scale-out your space, bro =)
Don't you worry, recipe book is almost there ;)

Back