labels Sam & Oliver Sparks, Flare & Burst (dry spice labels)

So here's a preliminary concept of 3 dry spices, I thought to take a slight risk with the colors to keep the dry spice lines separate from the wet sauce lines (as will be the two BBQ sauce lines):

Sparks is an adobo seasoning is a dry spice blend of salt, onion, garlic, cumin, chipotle and other delicious things.  It smells divine and can be used on anything from vegetables, potatoes and steak to pizza, fries, sandwiches and more.

Flare is a mango-chipotle dry spice that has a great nose and adds some mellow sweetness to things like mashed potatoes, roasted butternut squash and even right on pork chops, etc.  Definite sweetness with a warm chipotle end note.

Burst heavily focuses on cracked 'gourmet grind' black pepper as it's primary nose and body.  I didn't go with butcher grind because it was too coarse.  Red pepper, Cayenne and other spices round this out, very close to concept of a steak or chicken grilling seasoning blend but with NO salt.  I know people argue whether to put salt on before or after grilling a steak, and I decided to err on the side of a) healthy and b) you can always add salt later which is c) another future line coming (smoked sea salt).  Salt can always be added later but not easily removed.

Here's the concept work (note, most fields are simply borrowed from the Cinder / Stoke line, but the label is not the same size as a woozy, this is 3x6" instead of 3.25 x 5.5".  Because of this, the center panel needed to be 1/2" wider so it didn't appear "boxed" by a white bar on each side when viewed.

Also to note: these are printed in 2 color in an effort to reduce cost of reproduction.  A 3rd color could be added but will require an extra plate and higher per-label costs.

Sparks1.png

Flare1.png

Burst1.png

Example1.png

Thoughts?  Too wacky with the colors?  To hard to read the colors?

Sam & Oliver said:
I'm going to end up calling this:

The Hot Pepper Forum's
Everyday Spice Mixture

(graphic)

5oz
Harrrrrrrrrrrrr!

What is your gut telling you today? I am behind you no matter what it's called. I really like the way the sauces turned out, I have no doubt you'll do the same with the spices.

Plot twist: Even though I'm only making 50 bottles at a time, I have to buy 1000 labels at a time.  I may have to find an alternative to the label production, and maybe print them myself.

I'll update soon.

Edit: clarified production type

Take your time and make sure the labels are right.  1000 might last you a few years, but you want them to look good and professional.  I don't remember what you're paying for roll stock, I think I'm at about $150 for the first 1000 with some set up charges, etc, and about $50 for every 1000 after that.  Last order I placed for 3 different labels (total of 6000) came to .084 cents per label. 

PS- really hoping you don't use "adobo" in the name.........

Using a 3x6" white gloss with overlaminate, rounded corner, #4 wind on roll:

$50 per plate (color)
$98 for 1000 (9.8 cents each)
$182 for 2000 (9.1 cents each)

So each variant will cost me $198 for 1000 plus shipping

This line is on hold temporarily as I try to figure this out logistically.  It's a nice "want to have" set of 3 spices, but I'm not entirely sure if I need to have it yet.  I have a BBQ sauce that people have been bugging me to make which will cost more, but that $600 (for labels) and production cost could go towards making the BBQ first.

The downside to making so many over your requirement is, what happens if you want to change it? 

I've modified almost every one of my labels from batch to batch. This batch I'm re-making purple and taking "extra" off (it's not an "extra mild", it's a "mild") - fortunately I only had 50 or so labels left from my last run. I hate burning 50 labels, but that's only ~$5

1000 labels extra is a lot of waste if you find a mistake. And you might find something that isn't a mistake that you just need to change anyway.

Food for thought

Back