labels Sam & Oliver's Molten Gold BBQ sauce - new label critique

Bavarian Gold prototype 5-5.PNG

Here's some quick breakdown on how this label is similar but differs from the previous 2 product labels I have:

All labels will be on white rounded corner rectangles with glossy overlaminate and waterproof.

The label will be 3.25" tall by 9" wide.  Bavarian Gold will be printed with a 2rd color plate, unlike Cinder and Stoke, which used a single color and black.  This raises the cost of the label production slightly, since a 3rd plate must be created before the run is made.

The bottle chosen is a stout bottle that's 7" tall just like the 5oz Woozy bottle, but fatter, with a short neck by comparison.  I chose this, rather than the standard decanter style because it was unique, and on the shelf, the products are the same height, which helps in storage and creating a standardized height and look to the products if they are displayed in proximity, or on my booth display.

Bavarian Gold will feature the same heat index, at the same height and location as Cinder and Stoke, because it contains a re-formulated Cinder as an actual ingredient. (vinegar type was changed from distilled to match the recipe's predominant Cinder Vinegar base).

The challenge for this label is the inclusion of a 4th panel due to the width of the label.  Because the 5oz woozy labels are 5.5", this leaves an additional 3.5".  The 'front' was widened to 4" to not create such a large white 'frame' when viewed on a shelf from the front.  This leads to significantly more black on the front panel, which was adjusted to keep the same 'stripe logo' design for a consistent brand.

This product includes Coconut oil and Tamari sauce, which contains soybeans.  Both have to (by law) be printed below the ingredients list, which chews up an entire 2 line feeds of real estate.  The ingredient list, while relatively basic, have lots of sub-components, which prevented me from using the same Nutrition Panel as previous labels.

Left panel = Romance Panel
Center Panel = Brand/Logo/Graphics
Right Panel = Nutrition Panel/Ingredients/Allergens
Back Panel = Recipe

Things I'm still on the fence about:
Recipe suggesting pairing product with an alcoholic beverage (IPA) - this could potentially be on a shelf at a public grocery store.
Trying to find out if it's legal to declare the allergens as "Contains Coconut and Soybeans" rather than simply "Nuts, Soy"

/falls off soapbox

Thoughts?

Edit: stout bottle picture
5ef32c31c19372d4735d5a77f81bdbdd.jpg

That's exactly why I said red. Red is identifiable as a hot pepper, 1. It pops, 2.

You'd know it had a kick immediately.

You can't worry about your color scheme when it comes to that. And I've seen it done. I've even seen a BBQ sauce where on the spicy bottle they take the same cartoon pig from the non-spicy but he has a red pepper in his mouth.

each color in the label requires a separate plate for the press

in this label there are 3 plates:
yellow
gold
black

adding another color means another plate $100 each plate plus resetup fee again

it also means more cost per label.

i can look into it. cinder and stoke had 2 plates. gold had 3

It takes money to make money.

Your label is the face of your company when you're not there.

$100 is nothing compared to making a good or bad impression on people.

And with labels you pay the set-up charge one time and make 1000s of labels. So you're talking about fractions of a cent. :doh:

You can't be serious here...

I'd have to taste it to see if it warranted the chili pepper. I mean yes it is a good idea but also lots of BBQ sauce have cayenne for a little lip tingle and they don't mention anything. This has habs though. So I'm thinking it's got a little kick even though you call it mild?

there are 2 colors of gold on the label.  the bbq grill is dark gold and black.  put a couple light gold chiles on the grill.

"Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce

Deep in the heart of South Carolina, between Columbia and Charleston, where German immigrants settled in the 18th century, there is a pocket of barbecue connoisseurs who prefer pork with yellow mustard sauce. These South Carolinians can thank their German heritage for that: Pairing pork and mustard is an age-old Bavarian tradition that has stood the test of time."

Just saw this in a CG recipe.... I get it now. :lol:

wrench

thrown

into

works
lol

kidding

LOVE the new name. :) Goes with your theme and not everyone would get that Bavaria reference, obviously. 

The Hot Pepper said:
"Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce

Deep in the heart of South Carolina, between Columbia and Charleston, where German immigrants settled in the 18th century, there is a pocket of barbecue connoisseurs who prefer pork with yellow mustard sauce. These South Carolinians can thank their German heritage for that: Pairing pork and mustard is an age-old Bavarian tradition that has stood the test of time."

Just saw this in a CG recipe.... I get it now. :lol:

wrench

thrown

into

works
lol

kidding

LOVE the new name. :) Goes with your theme and not everyone would get that Bavaria reference, obviously. 

I dunno man - it's so clear now. I think he should change it back to Bavarian Gold. 
:rofl: 

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:

I dunno man - it's so clear now. I think he should change it back to Bavarian Gold. 
LDHS!!!!  Don't even say things like that!!!!!!

Back