• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Saturday is National Gumbo Day

let's make some gumbo and post here...  Phil? Joyner?  Scovie?  I know you guys are in.

Phil said:
I dunno, Meat. I kinda dig the gumbo you made. The seafood/chicken combo is an oddity that you just don't see. Gumbo usually has a clear identity. Although I didn't see a roux in your pictures.... I'm keeping score! lol.

And where in the world is JayT's entry???????

Phil,
You're right, the chicken /seafood isn't the norm, however I did have a dish with Chicken, Sausage and Chicken last week in NOLA. The only thing I didn't care for is the File' powder. Can't stand the taste....I through the only bottle out I had yrs back....... :D
You probably know that even though there's not usually chicken pared up with Oysters or Craw Fish the usual stock is Chicken.
Heck, I'm having company over tomorow for Zuppa de Pesce . I ended up hitting the fish mkt today for the Shell and Octopussy....and decided to step this up a notch........like I'm doing with my Rum...no coke....
where was I....where am I.....ha

The Roux is complete after 1.5 hrs...alot of whisking. If I had a second whisk in the other hand I could have pretended it was a snare drum....All I need would be some of that Quartet New Orleans slow Jazz music playing.............Upright Bass...anyone........heh

The Trinity of 2c Onion, 1.5c Green Bell, and 1 c Celery are added along with Salt, Worcestershire, Paprika and Cayenne powders. The mix will get sweated for 20 minutes....cover on.

The Fish Stock is also complete after 6 hrs. I ladeled about 2 gal in with the Roux mix. Bring to a boil and reduce to a low simmer for 1 hr.

Okra is added along with the Chicken Thighs that were shreded. Continue to simmer uncovered for 1 hr.............alot of drinking happening !

Mean while, I shucked the Oysters, chopped up the Prawns (4), Lobster Tails (2) and 1 lb of medium Shrimp.........The Rice is in a separate pot and the bread is warming in the oven.........and my wifes sleeping.....time for another drink !

The Seafood has been added along with cracked Pepper and Salt to taste. The pot is covered and the heat is turned down to low for 10 minutes....just waiting for the Rice.
Plating shot....soon

Looking good! I don't care for filet, either. Nor okra, for that matter.... they tend to turn gumbo into snot, if not prepared correctly. I only put okra in my seafood gumbo, and I have to stew it down with tomatoes and onions to get the slime out before I add it to the gumbo.

And yeah, a lot of people use a chicken base for all gumbo, but the right way to do it is for a seafood gumbo, boil shrimp heads to make a shrimp stock. No chicken allowed.

TB is right though..... "gumbo" is an African word for okra. But we re-purposed the word gumbo to mean "yeah, throw that in there".... lol

Looks good PIC1! Another one here that doesn't care for file either. Don't like okra either, but that's jjust a personal preference. Don't care for the taste of it. My wife likes it but doesn't put it in her gumbo either. That pic of the oysters has me wanting to do up some oysters kilpatrick now!

Hey Moe ! Hey Larry !........"Nyahh-ahhh-ahhh".....It didi it again !

Sorry this isn't the plating, but I couldn't resist..............and there's no Clams or Saltines in the Gumbo...

Here's the plating....bowling...........strike!
My version of the  Chicken , Seafood Gumbo with Andouille Sausage, with some French Bread on the side...the typical Tabasco sauce and a local New Orleans Brew..."ABITA"

Thanks for checking this out...

MeatHead1313 said:
PIC 1 officially smoked me. That looks amazing. Abita's a good drop too. Got a 6 pack of the pecan harvest ale last week. Loved it.
Not true...our dishes went different directions, both would have tasted fine if judged.
Drank alot of Abita last week.......although the $10 buckets of regular domestics during the football games along with 25 cent Oysters were a great deal.

agreed..... BOTH of you guys did great! That's the beautiful thing about gumbo.... there's no one way to make it right! Ask 20 coon asses how to make gumbo, and you'll get 20 different recipes. And they'll all be good!

MeatHead1313 said:
PIC 1 officially smoked me. That looks amazing. Abita's a good drop too. Got a 6 pack of the pecan harvest ale last week. Loved it.

I have the Pecan too. Good ain't it? Looked back a page. Your gumbo is goodo!

texas blues said:
All that sheeit is super wombat badassnessessexs.

But.

Nary a drop of Crystal for realz?

Aha....no Crystal....but if it's not on the shelf behind me....it's on the table of most of the Gumbo shops

Crystal????????? You don't need that mess when you cook it right!!! It's a stereotype that we put crystal or tabasco on everything.

Crystal? COME ON NOW! THIS IS THE HOT PEPPER SO MANY GOOD CHOICES AND YOU'RE STUCK IN PIGGLY WIGGLY 1983? I DON'T KNOW YOU!

Phil said:
Crystal????????? You don't need that mess when you cook it right!!! It's a stereotype that we put crystal or tabasco on everything.
 I hear ya,
I could have kicked that dish in the arse......just alittle cayenne though. I'd rather taste the layers of flav........no need to mask the depth.
The Hot Pepper said:
Crystal? COME ON NOW! THIS IS THE HOT PEPPER SO MANY GOOD CHOICES AND YOU'RE STUCK IN PIGGLY WIGGLY 1983? I DON'T KNOW YOU!

:rofl:

Gotta start with a bloody mary to do it proper

101_0151.JPG

Steamed up some shrimp (for a snack, not the gumbo)

101_0150.JPG

Got my mice in place, the Trinity plus some fatalii and bhut

101_0149.JPG

Brown some andouille sausage and remove, add vegetable oil and flour, equal parts to pot and slowly stir the roux until chocolatey/

102_0153.JPG

Combine the roux and the trinity, add cayenne, garlic, bay leaves, sea salt, black pepper, thyme, and creole seasoning.  Stir in two bottles of beer and cook for about a half hour.  Then add clam juice and seafood stock.  I add the andouille back into the pot, and I break tradition here and add the rice directly to the pot, bring to a boil and then simmer until the rice is done.

102_0156.JPG

More to come.

JayT said:
Got my mice in place, the Trinity plus some fatalii and bhut

:eek: Mice? Guess that's what you type when you can't decide between dice and mince. :lol:

Back