• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

sauerkraut liquid as starter

I've seen mention of using the liquid from sauerkraut as a fermentation starter. My question is does this method influence the flavor of the finished hot sauce? I DO love sauerkraut but don't want my batch of sauce tasting like it.

I use kimchi brine when making fermented sauces. It does give a bit of flavor, but you don't need to add much to jump start your mash... about a quarter cup or so should do it.

I use it a LOT, but like was stated above... it's just a "starter" so you only need a small amount and I have never known it to influence the flavor of my sauces.

Unless someones looking to make a "kraut sauce" I wouldn't use too much in a starter. Small amounts will actvate the ferment but not impair any sourness in the final product.

I have a few dough cultures always sitting in the fridge. One is a S.F sour dough. When I wash and re-activate it I'll feed it twice daily for 2 weeks, dividing off what I need. Prior to using it I'll slow down the feeding process which stretches out the flavor. The starter becomes very sour but still (hyper)active.....its a fine line but if you do it often you'll know the dips and peaks in bread making.

It's possible to obtain off flavors with a vege starter in the long run, over 90 days. That's one reason I stay away from them. My ferments run a bit longer and get mellow as they sit......salt is the sheet when it comes to pepper mash...

Greg

Oh man I didnt even consider it might be pasteurized. Ill have to check when I get back home..

Edit: Looking at this jar of kraut, it doesn't say pasteurized anywhere on it. In the ingredients it doesn't list active cultures like on yogurt. I checked the company's website (Gedney) and it doesn't say anywhere on there either. Maybe I should use something else.

Back