• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Saving pepper seeds

I have watched some videos on saving seeds to reuse next year. I could not find a thread here in my search on that topic. Any help?

sister verona said:
I have watched some videos on saving seeds to reuse next year. I could not find a thread here in my search on that topic. Any help?

Sure!

The THP search function troublesome to use especially if you want to use two or more words. I posted some helpful hints.>Simple Search Helpful Hints.

So if you go to Growing Hot Peppers and/or Hot Pepper Talk and plug "saving seeds" (Note the QUOTES? You learned that in above, right?) in the search box @ the top right of the page.

Let us know how you make  out!

Cut out the seeds.  Place on non-wax paper plates.  Air dry for 2 weeks.  Sort, place in coin envelopes or ziplocks and label.  Store in basement cabinet and/or basement refrigerator.  

I cut the ripe peppers in half or quarters lengthwise and let them dry at least partially or even totally and then with gloves I brush the seeds from the fruit or pluck them out and then allow the seeds to dry further before storing and sowing them. 

That works for the thin peppers... I don't dry thick walled specimens out before I remove the seeds but I do cut them open and leave them sitting for a few days before I remove the seeds. 

I generally try to make it so that the seeds just fall easily out of the peppers and little or no force is needed to remove them. If the seeds are fairly strongly connected to the placental tissue I try to give them more time. 

Is that a standard temp they are supposed to be stored at? Anything that causes harm? I'm guessing light and hot Temps are bad? What about moisture? Do you store them the same way as when you buy seeds?

TwoFours said:
Is that a standard temp they are supposed to be stored at? Anything that causes harm? I'm guessing light and hot Temps are bad? What about moisture? Do you store them the same way as when you buy seeds?

Proper storage is essential to maintaining viability of the seed. The most critical step is keeping the seed at a constant temperature and humidity. The ideal storage condition is a temperature below 50 degrees Fahrenheit and less than 50 percent humidity.

I use ageless oxygen absorber packets with stored seeds to increase their shelf life in sealed containers.
If I could I would store them in argon gas.

Back