• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Saving Tomato Seeds

Tried it with Tiny Tim last year. The seeds sprouted after about 24 hours in the jar... I'm guessing I kept them to warm, maybe it would have worked if I hadn't kept the jar in the kitchen?

In a past thread, Sorellina says not to use water

Sorellina said:
Ciao Potawie-

Yes, I ferment my seeds. The fermentation method is said to "cook" off any viruses that may be harbouring in the seed coat, as well as getting rid of the gel around the seeds, of course. The process, when done correctly, produces heat under anaerobic conditions. A fungal mat forms over the seeds and juice from the tomato (add no water or your seeds may germinate) after 3-5 days. The smelly mess is stirred, the fungal mat (along with a few seeds sticking to the underside) is poured off. Water is added and poured off carefully until clear and no gel residue remains. Clean seeds are poured onto a paper plate (to wick moisture), labelled, and stored in a cool dark place until dry. I keep my seeds in paper coin envelopes in a Lee Valley binder. I can find them easily in a bookshelf and the seeds are dry and out of the light. When stored like this, tomato seeds can remain viable for 15 years or more. A word about bugs: for those of you who may be squeamish to crawly fruit fly larvae (like me), by all means, keep your container of tomato seeds and juice COVERED to prevent the inevitable bug nightmare from invading and seriously grossing you out.

Novacastrian said:
Just googled Tomato seeds and found this vid, never seen it done like this before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Yncr8rTfc#

Any of you guys use this method?
Ok, first of all I have to comment on his epic beard:

His beard is EPIC!

Ok, now that I have that out of the way...yes, I've done that many a times over the years. Except when I did it, after squirting the seeds out of the tomatoes, I seperated the juice, and then drank it. So tasty and full of life! Then I mold the seeds. Want not waste not.

Iggy,

I have a grinder that I use to get the juice from the tomatoes. It runs the peels and seed out another exit. It's hard to imagine how many seeds I have in my compost pile!

Mike

Composting correctly kills all seeds.

But I get volunteers from seeds from toms that fall on the ground. Though this year, the winter wheat and tilling everything just before planting = no volunteers this year.

Mike

imaguitargod said:
PAH! Tell that to the Lemon trees, pumpkins, tomatoes, and zuccs that all sprung out of my compost heap.

Listen up Lemon tree and friends: Your master didn't compost you correctly!

;)

Ciao Nova-

I haven't been here as often as I am in the winter..how'd your seeds turn out? They should be a buffy colour with a slight fuzz. If you over-ferment, usually they will germinate ok, it's just an aesthetic thing. If you wind up with dark seeds and you still have enough tomatoes, try to ferment again and see if you can't get them lighter. Fermenting is trial and error to get the knack of it. My least favourite part is the fruit fly nonsense. I always say I'm going to put a cover on them and then get busy or distracted and end up with creepy worms anyway.

Back