• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sawyer '14 - Seed Offer

A new season begins.  It's a work in progress, but here's my 2014 grow list as it now stands.  It will certainly have some additions as I'm still expecting some more acquisitions.  I hope it will have some deletions, too, because it's just too ridiculously long as it is now.  My hope is/was to grow at least 10 of each variety I grew and saved seeds from in 2013, in order to characterize the extent of cross pollination.  I may have to cut that back to 5 each, at least for some varieties.  Without further ado, here are the contenders:

2014:
7 Pots:

(3)Barrackpore
Brain Strain Yellow
Brain Strain Red
Brown (3 types)
Burgundy
Caramel
(3)Chocolate Barrackpore (2 types)
Congo SR Gigantic
(1,12)Douglah
Jonah
Large Red
Large Yellow
"not Red" (a serrano-/Inca Red Drop-shaped "not")
(5)Original Red
Peach
(5)Primo
(12)Red
(1,12)Yellow
(3,8,11)White

Trinidad Scorpions:
(5)Brown Moruga
(3,9)BubbleGum (2 types)
Butch T
CARDI
(6)Chocolate
(1,12)Red
Red Moruga/Moruga Blend
(3)Sweet
(5,12)Yellow Moruga/Moruga Blend
Yellow Original

Jolokias:
(12)Assam
(8)Black Naga
(3)BOC
Brown Bhut
(8) Giant Bhut
Naga King
(1,12)Naga Morich
"not white" Yellow Bhut
Orange Bhut
(8)Purple Bhut
Red Bhut
White Bhut
(1,12)Yellow Bhut

Crosses:
(8)D'Bhut (7P Douglah x BJ)
(4)Elysium Oxide Bonnet
(3,8)Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
(3)Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion
(1,6)FG Jigsaw
(1,7)Funky Reaper
(3)Madballz
(1,6,7)Reaper
(8)Sepia Serpent
Long Smooth Red
Spicy Bell

Manzano/Rocoto/Locoto:
(8)Manzano Amarillo
(2)Orange Manzano (2 types)
(2)Orange Locoto
Red Manzano
Yellow Manzano
(11)Giant Mexican Rocoto

Bonnets/Habaneros:
(2,3)Bahamian Goat
(2,3)Bonda Ma Jacques
Brown SB
Brown Congo
(9)Freeport Orange SB (Bahamian Goat?)
Giant White Hab
(12)JA Hot Choc Hab
Large Yellow-orange Hab (not GWH)

MoA SB
Orange Hab
(8)Snow White
Yellow Hab
White Bullet Hab

Other:
Datil
Yellow Fatalii
(8)White Fatalii
(3,8)White Devil's Tongue

Jalapeños:
(9)Ciclón
(9)Colima
Early
Pinata
(9)Tajin

Hatch-style:
(10)Heritage Big Jim
(10)Heritage 6-4

Miscellaneous:
Alma Paprika
Amarillo Chiltepin

(3)Blonde
(3)Brown Egg
(9)Chimayo
(9)Devil Serrano
(9)Fish
(3)GA Black
(3)Hungarian Hot Cherry
Large Red Hot Cherry
Pimenta de Neyde
(1,3)Tobago Treasure
(3)Trinidad Cherry
Trinidad Seasoning
(4)Tepin
(11)Orchid/Bishop's Crown
(4,11)Goat's Weed
(11)Brazilian Starfish
(11)Mako Akokasrade
(11)Bull's Heart

Ornamentals:
(10)NuMex Twilight
Chilly Chilli (F2)

Seeds from:
(1) - My own 2013 Grow (as are all otherwise unmarked entries)
(2) - PaulG
(3) - GA. Growhead
(4) - capsidadburn
(5) - PepperLover
(6) - Baker Creek
(7) - Devv
(8) - gnslngr
(9) - meatfreak
(10) - CPI
(11) - PL
(12) - MGOLD86

By my count, that's around 75 82 varieties, not counting the TBDs and expected new acquisitions. :shocked:  I have more space available for in-grounds in the garden now, and also plan to expand the potted plant grow area.  I plan to add some enhancements this year, in terms of custom lighting for stage 2 growth (3.5" square pots), isolation techniques, cap-based repellents, and more.  Stay tuned to see what actually happens. :rolleyes:

Edited list 1/5/14.
Edited list 1/19/14
Edited list 3/2/14, additions=blue, deletions=strike-through

HillBilly Jeff said:
Thats all you need to bring home a mess of gills....mighty fine eating with some spiced up tartar sauce!!!
I hope to do more fishing this year than the last few.  I didn't even wet a line last year.

stc3248 said:
Haha...unfortunately due to our legal system, I would not recommend anything that is designed to cause pain. Kind of like the difference between carrying a baseball bat or a collapsible batan or nightstick. The nightsticks are designed as a weapon so a lawyer could peg you with intent or pre-meditation. The noise grenades are classified as a toy and are thrown at each other by 12 yo kids and you could argue that they are there as an animal deterrent.  

You're right on point with your analysis of chem-ferts IMHO. I have said the same thing on other threads where folks claim using a water-soluble plant food destroys the soil food web like you're pouring uranium into the dirt. Whatever...I use a combination of organic, water soluble and time release and can go out and grab 100 earthworms in 15 minutes.
Yeah, I wouldn't really set up a system with trip wires.  I think my best option is to get off my butt, finish the perimeter fence and get a dog.

Devv said:
Guess I have to import worms, none here :tear:
Do your local bait stores have worms?  Just buy some there and dump them in your compost piles.  Not sure how well they'll handle the sand, though.

Scott...+1 to John's recommendation on the worms. I was going to suggest it when I read it the first time, but didn't wanna hyjack John's thread. I do the same thing. I used leftover fishing trip night-crawlers in the beds and leftover "red jumpers" in the worm farm. The reds won't leave the compost rich worm farm and the night crawlers will roam free. Just keep adding organic material and the worms will stick around and populate your gardens. I haven't added worms in two years and I find 3 or 4 per shovel full now. Added benefit is I no longer have to buy worms to go fishing!!! 

Devv said:
It's worth a try for sure. I guess I need to move some of the compost to the part of the garden where the dirt's heavier
Just be sure to keep it moist (but not wet).  Boards on the surface help with that.  Or cardboard, plus worms love to eat corrugated cardboard.  Actually, I think they eat the glue, but whatever, corrugated cardboard is great for worm beds.  I think generally in a healthy soil, worms will find something to eat, but it turns out there really is such a thing as Purina Worm Chow.

stc3248 said:
Scott...+1 to John's recommendation on the worms. I was going to suggest it when I read it the first time, but didn't wanna hyjack John's thread. I do the same thing. I used leftover fishing trip night-crawlers in the beds and leftover "red jumpers" in the worm farm. The reds won't leave the compost rich worm farm and the night crawlers will roam free. Just keep adding organic material and the worms will stick around and populate your gardens. I haven't added worms in two years and I find 3 or 4 per shovel full now. Added benefit is I no longer have to buy worms to go fishing!!! 
I mostly see just one kind of worm around here.  I think they're called red wigglers here; might be the same as your red jumpers.  There are many different species, though, so it's probably worth doing some research to know which varieties do best in different environments.

Once again I'm falling behind on glogs, updating my own and keeping up with others.  There are just not enough hours in a day.  Or days in a week.  Or something.  I'm way overdue on potting up the Round 1 seedlings.  We've had a few warm days here, but I've been otherwise occupied then and most of the time, it's been too cool to take the plants outside.  I don't have an indoor space adequate for potting up hundreds of plants to 3.5" square pots.  (Need to order some more potting mix soon, too.)  Today we are in the middle of a thunder ice storm.  As much as I'm ready for warmer weather, I have to admit, I enjoy the novelty of lightning and thunder combined with frozen precipitation.

I've had a few more Round 1 (PF1-PF4) seeds germinate, but haven't updated that count lately.  Mainly, though, Round 2 (PF5-PF8) and Round 3 (PF9) have been where the action's taking place.  Here are the numbers for those as of yesterday:
29c53tg.png

2aenrya.png

From all three rounds, that adds up to roughly 1130 plants.  No way do I have room inside for all of those in 3.5" square pots.  (1130plants/18 pts per flat= more 60 11"x22" nursery flats)  Ouch!  I think it's time to get serious about an (even temporary) outside greenhouse.  I think a lean-to structure against the front picture window will work.

I have three varieties from the second and third round plantings that haven't shown any life yet, Purple BJ, Tepin, and Bishop's Hat.  All of those are disappointing, but especially so for the Bishop's Hat.  I had hoped to market some of those to the local grocer.  Are there any special requirements for germinating baccatums, or do I likely have a bad batch of seed?  I've had good luck with the pubescens this year and I thought they were the tough ones (wild species excepted). 

I've got one more pepper flat to plant, the jalapenos and ornamentals.  Will likely replant the Bishop's Crown, too.  And fill out the flat with tomatoes or other veggie or grain.

Never had trouble germing Baccatums...so may be a bad batch of seeds. Looks as though you're getting good numbers on almost everything else, so I would blame the seeds for sure.The lean to style greenhouses work well...I have made a few, they can be a bit high maintenance though. 

I may have some Bishop's Crown seeds, but if so they're a few years old. So, you may be better off ordering some of them from Judy. I hear you on the not enough time comment, I always get way too ambitious when all the new Glogs start popping up, then never have time to visit them all. 

Sorry to hear about the Tepins John.  I only got one of those to germinate from that particular group of seeds I sent you.  I did not do to well on the saving end of those.  I will make sure to get you better stock later this season for next year.  I hope that some of my overwinters volunteer soon.  Should know in the next few weeks.

I think Scott and I are banking on this week being the last cold spell to avoid.  Hopefully!

Have a great week!

Mike

It's worse than that, Mike.  Apparently I passed along the rest of the seeds I got from you last year, and the Amarillo Chiltepin I was trying to OW died along with all the others when the root cellar froze.  It had a lot of ripe pods on it, but I haven't looked to see if they are salvageable after the flood and freeze.  I have so many other plants, at this point, the wilds are going to have wait until next year.  I'll try some more of the Tepin in this next/last flat I'm planting, but that will be it for this year.

stc3248 said:
Never had trouble germing Baccatums...so may be a bad batch of seeds. Looks as though you're getting good numbers on almost everything else, so I would blame the seeds for sure.The lean to style greenhouses work well...I have made a few, they can be a bit high maintenance though. 

I may have some Bishop's Crown seeds, but if so they're a few years old. So, you may be better off ordering some of them from Judy. I hear you on the not enough time comment, I always get way too ambitious when all the new Glogs start popping up, then never have time to visit them all. 
Yeah, I kind of think it's just bad seed.  Hate to say it, but these came from Judy.  I'm not giving up yet, though.  This flat was mostly annuums and may not have been kept as warm as I usually keep the chinense flats.

HabaneroHead said:
More than 1000 plants, OMG! That is a real pepper paradise! :-) Best of luck with them! Can't wait to see some fresh pics!
More like pepper hell, I think.  Stayed tuned to see.

I figured you would be winding down the germinating.  Your quantity is up there, but also it just becomes exhausting at a certain point, that I am all to happy to move on and leave em for next year.  My numbers are around 300 ,but the cull hand is heavy at this point and I'll be happy topping out at 240 - 260.

I have given a coworker and new member here one of your MOA s.b. and a Funky Reaper.  He's built a raised bed and has all the indications of being addicted with his excitment.

His user name is Livefortheheat.   Hopefully he will start a glog with pics soon.

Good thing is...if you got zeros from them Judy will replace them, and will be thankful for the info about poor germ rates. They've only been in a couple weeks, but another week and I would be giving her a call.

capsidadburn said:
I figured you would be winding down the germinating.  Your quantity is up there, but also it just becomes exhausting at a certain point, that I am all to happy to move on and leave em for next year.  My numbers are around 300 ,but the cull hand is heavy at this point and I'll be happy topping out at 240 - 260.

I have given a coworker and new member here one of your MOA s.b. and a Funky Reaper.  He's built a raised bed and has all the indications of being addicted with his excitment.

His user name is Livefortheheat.   Hopefully he will start a glog with pics soon.
Glad to hear you're spreading the chile gospel, Mike.  I'll be watching for Livefortheheat.

stc3248 said:
Good thing is...if you got zeros from them Judy will replace them, and will be thankful for the info about poor germ rates. They've only been in a couple weeks, but another week and I would be giving her a call.
Good to know, Shane.  I hate to complain, given all the pepper love PepperLover spreads around, but you're right, I should let her know.  I'll give them another week or two first, though.

Devv said:
I'm somwehere between 150-175 plants, and can't imagine having anymore. 1,000+ is like a full time job. A greenhouse would be nice, hauling them in and out sure gets old!
I'm definitely going over the top this year.  It remains to be seen how many of these make it to harvest.  I've been toying with the idea of a few different greenhouse designs and locations.  I think this lean-to thing at the front window is the place to start.  Assuming it warms up/drys out enough to do something before the point is moot for the year.

In case anyone came here looking for an updated grow list, I just edited the one in the first post at the start of this log.

I'm leaning with you on the attached greenhouse. Once, I thought about putting a greenhouse for aquaponics at my garden space at work, but I don't go there on the weekends.
But for baby plants, the closer to your daily routine the better I'm seeing. I've got a large south facing window I may attach outside of  this fall if I have any steam left.

One of the recalcitrant Tepins has started hooking.  There will probably be more.

GA Growhead said:
I have some of my Bishop's crown I can send if needed! Let me know.
Cool, thanks!

JJJessee said:
 I'm leaning with you on the attached greenhouse. Once, I thought about putting a greenhouse for aquaponics at my garden space at work, but I don't go there on the weekends.
But for baby plants, the closer to your daily routine the better I'm seeing. I've got a large south facing window I may attach outside of  this fall if I have any steam left.
Done the way I'm thinking, the entrance to this one will be two steps from my front door.  Walk to the end of the stoop and step down into the greenhouse.  I'd like to dabble around with aquaponics, too, but it's not near the top of the list at the moment.

I definitely want to build a pit greenhouse, but that's a bigger project for a later time.  I've got the exact spot picked out for it.

Egads, 1130 plants is insane!  I can't wait to see pics of all of them!

Thought you'd like to see some pics of the plants that came from the seeds you sent this past winter!

Two 7 Pot Burgundies and the Funky Reaper:
sawyer_DSC1395a_zps1b458df7.jpg

The Reaper, and the Not White Yellow Bhut:
sawyer_DSC1396a_zps84564c5d.jpg

The Giant White Hab;
sawyer_DSC1402a_zpsac468f0e.jpg

Your seeds produced some great plants, bud!  can't wait to see how
they all turn out.  Thanks, brother!

Back