• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sawyer '14 - Seed Offer

A new season begins.  It's a work in progress, but here's my 2014 grow list as it now stands.  It will certainly have some additions as I'm still expecting some more acquisitions.  I hope it will have some deletions, too, because it's just too ridiculously long as it is now.  My hope is/was to grow at least 10 of each variety I grew and saved seeds from in 2013, in order to characterize the extent of cross pollination.  I may have to cut that back to 5 each, at least for some varieties.  Without further ado, here are the contenders:

2014:
7 Pots:

(3)Barrackpore
Brain Strain Yellow
Brain Strain Red
Brown (3 types)
Burgundy
Caramel
(3)Chocolate Barrackpore (2 types)
Congo SR Gigantic
(1,12)Douglah
Jonah
Large Red
Large Yellow
"not Red" (a serrano-/Inca Red Drop-shaped "not")
(5)Original Red
Peach
(5)Primo
(12)Red
(1,12)Yellow
(3,8,11)White

Trinidad Scorpions:
(5)Brown Moruga
(3,9)BubbleGum (2 types)
Butch T
CARDI
(6)Chocolate
(1,12)Red
Red Moruga/Moruga Blend
(3)Sweet
(5,12)Yellow Moruga/Moruga Blend
Yellow Original

Jolokias:
(12)Assam
(8)Black Naga
(3)BOC
Brown Bhut
(8) Giant Bhut
Naga King
(1,12)Naga Morich
"not white" Yellow Bhut
Orange Bhut
(8)Purple Bhut
Red Bhut
White Bhut
(1,12)Yellow Bhut

Crosses:
(8)D'Bhut (7P Douglah x BJ)
(4)Elysium Oxide Bonnet
(3,8)Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
(3)Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion
(1,6)FG Jigsaw
(1,7)Funky Reaper
(3)Madballz
(1,6,7)Reaper
(8)Sepia Serpent
Long Smooth Red
Spicy Bell

Manzano/Rocoto/Locoto:
(8)Manzano Amarillo
(2)Orange Manzano (2 types)
(2)Orange Locoto
Red Manzano
Yellow Manzano
(11)Giant Mexican Rocoto

Bonnets/Habaneros:
(2,3)Bahamian Goat
(2,3)Bonda Ma Jacques
Brown SB
Brown Congo
(9)Freeport Orange SB (Bahamian Goat?)
Giant White Hab
(12)JA Hot Choc Hab
Large Yellow-orange Hab (not GWH)

MoA SB
Orange Hab
(8)Snow White
Yellow Hab
White Bullet Hab

Other:
Datil
Yellow Fatalii
(8)White Fatalii
(3,8)White Devil's Tongue

Jalapeños:
(9)Ciclón
(9)Colima
Early
Pinata
(9)Tajin

Hatch-style:
(10)Heritage Big Jim
(10)Heritage 6-4

Miscellaneous:
Alma Paprika
Amarillo Chiltepin

(3)Blonde
(3)Brown Egg
(9)Chimayo
(9)Devil Serrano
(9)Fish
(3)GA Black
(3)Hungarian Hot Cherry
Large Red Hot Cherry
Pimenta de Neyde
(1,3)Tobago Treasure
(3)Trinidad Cherry
Trinidad Seasoning
(4)Tepin
(11)Orchid/Bishop's Crown
(4,11)Goat's Weed
(11)Brazilian Starfish
(11)Mako Akokasrade
(11)Bull's Heart

Ornamentals:
(10)NuMex Twilight
Chilly Chilli (F2)

Seeds from:
(1) - My own 2013 Grow (as are all otherwise unmarked entries)
(2) - PaulG
(3) - GA. Growhead
(4) - capsidadburn
(5) - PepperLover
(6) - Baker Creek
(7) - Devv
(8) - gnslngr
(9) - meatfreak
(10) - CPI
(11) - PL
(12) - MGOLD86

By my count, that's around 75 82 varieties, not counting the TBDs and expected new acquisitions. :shocked:  I have more space available for in-grounds in the garden now, and also plan to expand the potted plant grow area.  I plan to add some enhancements this year, in terms of custom lighting for stage 2 growth (3.5" square pots), isolation techniques, cap-based repellents, and more.  Stay tuned to see what actually happens. :rolleyes:

Edited list 1/5/14.
Edited list 1/19/14
Edited list 3/2/14, additions=blue, deletions=strike-through

That is interesting. I don't think I have noticed that phenomenon before, but I must admit, I ditch the humidity dome absolutely as soon as possible. If the plants are in individual pots, I pull them as soon as I see cots break the surface. damping off scares me, so I get them out as soon as I can. YMMV

As soon as they stand up I move them out of the dome and under the T8. I have not noticed a single problem. The room I use as 12x12' and is a bit humid and warmer from all the plants and lights.

I then give them almost daily sips, just tiny sips of water. And they do ave a fan on them.

Hey John, Can't wait to see a big ol' grow going on there!
I hope there's no more issues with the dome.  I have not
seen that effect, either, but I try to transplant as soon as I see
cotys, too, so maybe it doesn't have a chance to develop?  
I'm the last person you should listen too   :rofl: I imagine.

The BJ Yellow, Reaper, Funky Reaper, and 7 Pot Burgundy are
all doing great, and seem to be surviving the transition to life in
the greenhouse   :cool:   pic here of the BJ Yellow, and the rest of
the group are in there somewhere, too!  Your seeds made nice,
strong plants!

That has totally happened to me John. I am no dome ATM and happy about that. My current set up allows that.
I don't remember losing any when that happened, but freaked me out for sure to see them leaned over and frail. I always just returned the dome and they stood back up with maybe a cotyledon or two lost.

Hey, y'all, thanks for the input.  I'm sure I've not lost many plants due to the dome-removal-dehydration effect alone.  Maybe a few that were already struggling.  Otherwise, they perk back up in a day or so, maybe with some residual shriveling around the leaf edges.  I noticed today most of the cotys have recovered, even if without their former glory.  (GA Blacks, I'm looking at you.)

As far as potting up as soon as they sprout, that just seems like too much trouble to me.  Once the majority of varieties in a particular flat are showing life, and pushing the dome, I'll move them to another shelf to flesh out their growth, then on to potting up, a flat at the time.  Then again, I admit to being somewhat lazy laissez-faire about all this.  Not perfect, but works for me.

Devv said:
I then give them almost daily sips, just tiny sips of water. And they do ave a fan on them.
I keep a gallon jug on top of the framework, with a plastic tube for siphoning water (+mild nutrients).  I top water whatever looks slightly dry every time I check the plants.  I'm checking more often now that things are happening.  At this point, I don't use a fan.  That just seems to exacerbate my drying issues.  Once they get potted up to 3.5" square pots is when I hit them with some air circulation.

PaulG said:
Hey John, Can't wait to see a big ol' grow going on there!

The BJ Yellow, Reaper, Funky Reaper, and 7 Pot Burgundy are
all doing great, and seem to be surviving the transition to life in
the greenhouse   :cool:   pic here of the BJ Yellow, and the rest of
the group are in there somewhere, too!  Your seeds made nice,
strong plants!

Thanks, Paul.  This year will be my biggest pepper grow yet.  I have high hopes.  And thanks for reminding me about the BJ Yellow.  I really do want to start a community glog on that one.  Maybe tomorrow.  Also, I'm pleased to learn my seed harvesting efforts seem to have produced healthy stock.

GA Growhead said:
If your talking about your not white bhut,the gnarly yellow phenos, I'm 4 for 4! Count me in!

That I am.  Awesome germination!  I haven't started any of my own yet (soon), but I'll definitely make a point of starting a separate thread for them soon.
GA Growhead said:
That has totally happened to me John. I am no dome ATM and happy about that. My current set up allows that.
I don't remember losing any when that happened, but freaked me out for sure to see them leaned over and frail. I always just returned the dome and they stood back up with maybe a cotyledon or two lost.

And somehow I missed commenting on this post.  Glad to hear (or no, maybe not) someone has experienced what I'm talking about.  And yeah, putting the dome back on fixes things, but only in the short term.  Eventually it has to come off.  Right now I'm experimenting with propping up one end of the dome an increasing amount over two or three days.  I think that may eliminate the problem.

Hey John,

Inregards to post #140 I haven't seen any difference when removing the humidity domes. My previous grows encountered high humidity issues throughout the house during the winter...I actually had to use 2 "dehumidifiers" during the peak winter grow. With all the weekly gallons of water being used (and somewhat of an airtight house) the water would condensate on the windows......strange for the winter here. No place for the evaporated water to travel.
Exhaust fans did help and I was able to drain the dehumidifier water and reuse....Ha, nobody had dry skin in the house.

The leaves on your plants may have dryed up because of direct heat from the lamps...How dry is the medium in the trays ? I'll adjust the water needed by the weight of the trays, since the top can always appear dry (I bottom water). If the trays are on the dry side you may have to add additional water so the seedlings can hydrate.

Hey Greg,  I guess that's the difference between a tightly constructed modern house and a 100+ y.o. farm house.  My air gets incredibly dry in the winter.  Usually I'll keep a pot of water on the stove on very low to humidify things, but my well water etched a hole through the stainless steel pot I was using. (highly mineralized water and cheap, improperly passivated SS)  Now that I'm removing domes, more water will be evaporating into the air, so that will help a little bit.

The wilting is definitely due to shock from the sudden humidity change.  I had the same thing happen last year; it's only taken two flats for me to remember what's going on this time around.  The lights are standard 40W T12s and, if anything, are not close enough to the plants.  And after a couple of missteps in stabilizing the heater mat temperatures, I've been keeping the medium adequately hydrated.  I do the same as you with respect to gauging the moisture in a tray.  Lifting up one end judging the weight is quite reliable.  I do top water, though, so if I weren't hefting the trays I'd run the risk of underwatering.

Sorry to hear about the challenges Sawyer, but it seems like they are working themselves out. I stole Scott's technique; been taking them out of the dome as soon as they stand up. But I am using the pellets not flats, and I am growing a much smaller number of plants. Plus I like to have a small gardening task to do everyday. Clears the head.

The slow lifting of the lids worked for me. Always way dry in my house in the winter. I think it's sudden humidity and temp change that does it.
Sounds like it's under control now.
Looking forward to the not white bhuts! Great germ rates with everything I planted so far from you! Get yours started!

Very interesting conversation, I ran outa likes here :mope:

When I pulled off all the paneling and sheetrocked the house, along with caulking the base boards it made for a well sealed house. I don't have the humidity problems Greg mentioned, but the room I have the plants in certainly is humid. I keep the door closed when it's cold out to keep the heat in. But when it's warm it's open to help things dry out.

I agree with you Stefan, theres all kinds of challanges..........all the way to finally planting the the last plant outdoors.....after that I usually pop open a beer.. sit on a lawn chair...and think, .....I'm done let mothernature take over the maintainance...........the truth

PIC 1 said:
I agree with you Stefan, theres all kinds of challanges..........all the way to finally planting the the last plant outdoors.....after that I usually pop open a beer.. sit on a lawn chair...and think, .....I'm done let mothernature take over the maintainance...........the truth
To true - getting out to let nature work its magic is a large part of the challenge!

Looking good Sawyer!  You've had some real cold weather in Arkansas this winter haven't you?  I've got a buddy from seminary down in Arkansas somewhere.  He's mentioned ice a few times...

Back