• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sawyer's 2013 Glog - Last Harvest/First Sauce

I haven't done a grow log before, but thought I'd give it a try this year. I'm growing mostly super hots, so I feel like I'm already behind schedule. Anyone know where January went? No pictures yet, I'll add some later when things (hopefully) start popping.

My setup is a basic home-made 2-tier 1" PVC plant stand. Each tier can accommodate 4 standard 1020 nursery flats and has three 2-bulb T-12 4' 40W fluorescent shop lights suspended above. The bulbs are a mix of Daylight, Wide Spectrum, and Power Twist. (I can't give you a K rating on these off the top of my head.) I use heater mats to try to keep the flats in the comfort zone for germination. They are wired to a dimmer switch so I can adjust the current. Even with the dimmer switch, in the past I've had trouble keeping uniform temperature, so this year I've put a layer of aluminum foil on top of the mats to spread out the heat and a layer of kraft paper on top of that. The flats go directly on the kraft paper. If anyone has any tips or tricks for controlling the temperature of heater mats (without purchasing an expensive thermostat), I'd love to hear about it.

I use standard 1020 nursery trays with 1206 (72-cell) inserts. I filled the inserts to planting depth with Sushine Mix #1 and planted anywhere from 2 (new) to 4 (old) seeds per cell. I then topped off the trays with some peat-based germination mix. I intended to use Fafard 3b germination mix, but didn't want to open a new bag for only four flats. I had a small bag of Miracle Grow and one of Ferry Morse left over from days past so I used one of those, I forget which.

The germination stand is in a back room in the warmest part of the house. As plants geminate and become established they'll be moved, either in whole flats, or potted out separately, to a 3-tier, 5 flat/tier stand in front of a bright picture window on the south side of the house. No lights on that yet and may not need them since the window gets direct sun for several hours per day. I'll be starting a lot of other seeds besides hot peppers, so I can't just leave them on the heater mats 'til plant out.

I started four flats today, one whole flat of self-propagated, pure-strain red Bhut Jolokia and up to 12 cells each of the following (note - I prefer the term 7 Pot to 7pod, but am keeping the 7pod nomenclature here out of deference to the vendor):

(First parenthesis is # of plants from first planting on 2/11, second is # plants/# soaked on 3/4)

Red Bhut Jolokia (my own isolated) (75)
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (PL) (0)
Brown Bhut Jolokia (PL) (1)
White Bhut Jolokia (PL) (8), (15/20)
Yellow Fatalii (RFC) (11), (6/10)
Giant White Habanero (RFC) (7)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend (PL) (10), (28/35)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend (RFC) (14)
T. Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend Yellow (PL) (6), (19/25)
T. 7pod Congo SR Gigantic (PL) (9), (2/7)
T. 7pod Large Red (PL) (4)
T. 7pod Large Yellow (PL) (1)
T. 7pod Brain Strain (PL) (10), (2/9)
T. 7pod Brain Strain Yellow (PL) (4), (11/12)
T. 7pod Brown (PL) (17)
T. 7pod Burgundy (PL) (8)
T. Douglah (PL) (5), (4/20)
T. Scorpion Butch T. (PL) (7)
T. Scorpion Yellow (PL) (18)
T. Scorpion Original Strain (PL) (1)
T. Seasoning (PL) (4)

New strains/sources started on 3/4:
Red Bhut Jolokia (PL) (45/50)
Scotch Bonnet Brown (PL) (22/34)
'12 7 Pot Yellow (RFC) (0/11)
'12 Bhut Jolokia Chocolate (PL) (0/14)
Datil (PL) (7/22)
Bhut Jolokia Orange (PL) (15/20)
T. Scorpion CARDI (PL) (7/20)
Tobago Treasure (PL) (8/20)

Started on 3/6:
Red Bhut Jolokia (own isolated) (>50)
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion (CPI) (13)
NuMex Pinata (CPI) (40)
White Bullet Hab (PL) (13)

Unrecorded plant date:
Orange Hab (PL) (2)
TS Cardi (PL) (7)
Dorset Naga (PL) (5)

Started on 3/25:
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (PL) - 8/?
Long Choco Habanero (AjiJoe) - 17/42
Pimenta da Neyde (PL) - 14/30
Giant Mexican Rocoto (PL) - 0/40
CAP 1144 (PL) - 0/21
(old) Yellow Habanero (Trade Winds) - 0/24
(old) Jamaican Red Mushroom (RFC) - 0/18
Trinidad Congo Red (PL) - 10/12
Datil (PL) - 9/22 (4 hh)
7 Pot Primo (PL) - 5/18
Early Jalapeno (PL) - 19/36
Cracked Jalapeno (PL) - 33/36
Large Hot Cherry (PL) - 33/36
Surprise Hot Mix (AjiJoe) - 97/144

Edit 4/3: add sources PL=pepperlover, RFC=Refining Fire Chiles, CPI=Chile Pepper Institute
Edit 4/3: (in blue)
Edit 4/29: Edit title (again)

Don't worry buddy the 90's are closer then you think!

Scott

I'm looking forward to the 90s. It's the triple digits that bug me, and the peppers.

At least the precipitation is no longer frozen. I'd rather have the ground dry out a little so I can till, but we do need the rain here. Beaver Lake (the main local reservoir) is still 6 feet below normal.

Just finished reading your glog from start to finish. Found myself looking forward to the next page to see how the critter saga ended, but it looks like it's one of those "To Be Coninued" episodes!

I grew up in Memphis, canoed the Spring River, camped and hiked in the Ozarks a few times, and my husband and I even went to Bull Shoals for our honeymoon, so I have spent quite a bit of time all over the state of Arkansaw.

Sounds like we had similar weather today. Rain mixed with snow here all morning, but things started clearing up by the afternoon. Up valley where my husband was working they had a good 3" of slush on the road.

Your grow is looking great! I'm growing the Pinata Jalapeno this year too, plus Zapotec, Jaloro, and Biker Billy. Can't wait to do a taste comparison on all of them!

Best wishes on your grow this season!!!

Wow, thanks for taking the time to read all this, Bonnie. There is another installment to the critter tale, but I haven't had time to write it up yet. It's still free range, though.

It's been too long since I've taken advantage of the natural state offerings around here. Sometimes we take for granted the things that make our environment special.

It's still raining here, off and on, but no icy build up. As I said before, I wish my garden would dry out, but I'll take the rain. I get my water from a well, not the reservoir, but I'm happy to start the dry season with a high water table.

I'm not even in the same ballpark as some of the other growers here, as far as producing thick, lush plants indoors, but I can (usually) keep 'em alive 'til plant out time. I still have seeds to sow, Early and Cracked Jalapeno from pepperlover.com and some others I think I mentioned not too far above. It's getting pretty late for sowing chinense, but maybe we'll have a mild summer here (as if) and/or a late frost (quite possible). Plus I hope to have more room for overwinters next time around.

Thanks again for visiting!

Sup sawyer? I had my honeymoon in the ozarks. Was first of june, hotter that hot. Went jumped in some lake trying to cool down and it was like bath water. The water got cool about eight down. Was over a hundred every day. Didn't make for the best camping as planned. At one spot i just dripped with sweat doing nothing. Then would go jump in the little creek, that you could walk up to where the water bubbled up from an underground spring, and could only stay in there for a second, was freezing. Get out and be dripping in sweat by the time i was back at the camp site, less than a 100 yards away. Had a blast, just was damn HOT!
Looking good. Expecting some killer plants and a captured elfin at some point on here!

I'm looking forward to the 90s. It's the triple digits that bug me, and the peppers.

At least the precipitation is no longer frozen. I'd rather have the ground dry out a little so I can till, but we do need the rain here. Beaver Lake (the main local reservoir) is still 6 feet below normal.

Precipitation? Send some my way! Medina Lake is 78' low and at 7%.

I hate triple digits, so when's your plant time?

Scott

Sup sawyer? I had my honeymoon in the ozarks. Was first of june, hotter that hot. Went jumped in some lake trying to cool down and it was like bath water. The water got cool about eight down. Was over a hundred every day. Didn't make for the best camping as planned. At one spot i just dripped with sweat doing nothing. Then would go jump in the little creek, that you could walk up to where the water bubbled up from an underground spring, and could only stay in there for a second, was freezing. Get out and be dripping in sweat by the time i was back at the camp site, less than a 100 yards away. Had a blast, just was damn HOT!
Looking good. Expecting some killer plants and a captured elfin at some point on here!

It does get hot here in the summers. The Ozark springs, creeks, and rivers are always good for a cool down, though, as is the outflow from the numerous dams, assuming one makes the effort to go visit them. The only thing that has changed lately is the summertime dripping sweat from just sitting around. It's been so dry the sweat evaporates before it can drip, which at least helps it seem a little cooler.

Precipitation? Send some my way! Medina Lake is 78' low and at 7%.

I hate triple digits, so when's your plant time?

Scott

Yeah, we're low, but we're not in a crisis like some folks. Seventy-eight feet down is pretty extreme, though. I think that's worse than the Palisades Reservoir when I saw it several years ago.

Edit - I'm not real sure when plant out will be. Could have done it by now this time last year, but we've got freezing temperatures coming up next week and I don't have the garden ready anyway. If it keeps raining, it may be quite awhile before I can put anything in the garden. (Knew I should have tilled those few warm, dry days we had a few weeks ago.) I expect after this next cold spell passes, I'll be able to start potting up some of those that will stay in pots. I can always cover them if frost threatens.

When I moved to Colorado, it took me a while to adjust to the fact that you could actually camp in the middle of the summer here. As a matter of fact, that's about the only time you won't freeze your butt off at night! In the south, you camped in the spring and fall, but never in the summer!

I feel ya Arksaw . . . I tilled in, after taking a LOT of soil samples, two different pH tests, about 15lbs. dolomite lime into mine yesterday: 75' x 100.' Barefoot: it's been so cold this March I'm almost beginning not to feel the brrrrrr. Almost. Which counts with horseshoes and grenades. They calling for a few slow flurries here late tonight. :rolleyes: But the worst has been the COLD. Really? <25F below normal? Really? This happened in 2011. Really cold in March. Then, in April, 80's, 90's, no rain, and sudden summer: like die-hard crappie fisherpeople (ahmm) were getting up at 4am to beat heat, as it didn't cool down from 110 until 3am once we got to June. OTH, the cold has kilt lots of bugs. OTOHand, I might have to replant onions. They might be cool season but not 20's at night for a week. Looked okay yesterday but I dunno :rofl:

Ya plants looking good! :party: Lord, could we have some :hell: ?

And sweating!
Don't forget skeeters!!!
And the alligator snappers!

Yep, and yep, and there aren't enough alligator snappers around anymore to worry about. They make a really good soup.

I feel ya Arksaw . . . I tilled in, after taking a LOT of soil samples, two different pH tests, about 15lbs. dolomite lime into mine yesterday: 75' x 100.' Barefoot: it's been so cold this March I'm almost beginning not to feel the brrrrrr. Almost. Which counts with horseshoes and grenades. They calling for a few slow flurries here late tonight. :rolleyes: But the worst has been the COLD. Really? <25F below normal? Really? This happened in 2011. Really cold in March. Then, in April, 80's, 90's, no rain, and sudden summer: like die-hard crappie fisherpeople (ahmm) were getting up at 4am to beat heat, as it didn't cool down from 110 until 3am once we got to June. OTH, the cold has kilt lots of bugs. OTOHand, I might have to replant onions. They might be cool season but not 20's at night for a week. Looked okay yesterday but I dunno :rofl:

Ya plants looking good! :party: Lord, could we have some :hell: ?

You've been busy, Annie. That's a pretty good-sized garden spot; how much will be devoted to peppers? It never got above freezing here today, with scattered flurries for a lot of the day, and a wind chill down in the teens. We don't often get winds like this when it's cold... must have come from out west. It's mid-20s now, so I'm feeling less guilty about the boxes of sprouting shallots, garlic, and potato onions on the table in the other room.

I sowed a couple more flats today (I really need to figure out how to resize images):
16atbvk.png

px1xe.png

Parentheses in the first image indicate the number of seeds in the cell. I'm running two different experiments here. First, I'm trying four different germination techniques for Giant Mexican Rocoto (#3 in the first image). Direct sowing to mix (3[sup]1[/sup]) is my preferred method, but I've read these rocotos can be tricky. Greg (PIC1) suggested the warm water soak (3[sup]3[/sup]), though I don't have any KNO[sub]3[/sub]. The cold tea (regular drinking tea) soak (3[sup]2[/sup]) and surface sow (3[sup]4[/sup]) methods I found on another site that might cross the line on posting rules. While the flats have humidity domes on them, the surface sown seeds have additional little squares of plastic wrap covering each individual cell. The clock is ticking on all four methods... soaking times count.

The second experiment is a test of JJJ's hypothesis that group sowing can enhance germination. In the cells marked with an asterisk above, the seeds were grouped together in a single hole in the middle of the cell. For the others, the seeds were spaced more or less evenly in the cell.

BTW, the Long Chocolate Habanero and Surprise Hot Mix seeds were gifted to me last year by someone here on THP. I looked back through my PMs to try to figure out who, without success. I'd like to give credit where due, so if the person responsible reads this, please let me know so I can give proper thanks.

Edit: Replaced first image with one resized (test) and color-coded for ease of viewing.

I would bet the surprise hot mix is from AjiJoe.
He sent me some labeled exactly that!

I have done the group seed sowing a bunch this year, and have a few cups chock full of seedlings from it.
I think there is something to it.
I call it Carpetbombing, but The Borg Collective sowing sounds good too...lol

In that case, thank you, Joe.

I've done some inconsistent group seeding and there does seem to be something to it, but I wanted a more rigorous test comparing different varieties and known (and recorded) numbers of seeds. I guess one could also call it rattlesnake denning. I like "cluster sowing" because when it doesn't work, you can call it a cluster..... :censored: :oops:

In that case, thank you, Joe.

I've done some inconsistent group seeding and there does seem to be something to it, but I wanted a more rigorous test comparing different varieties and known (and recorded) numbers of seeds. I guess one could also call it rattlesnake denning. I like "cluster sowing" because when it doesn't work, you can call it a cluster..... :censored: :oops:

Well, when it does work you can call it that too!! LOL
I have to figure out what to do with some of them....Mostly I wanted to Fuse some of them for Bonzai, but some were from store bought packaged dried pods that I wasn't sure would germinate.....well....they did...a lot!!

They separate fairly easily, once the stems get a little strength. Worst case, swishing the roots in water will generally get them to let go of each other. Of course, unless the germination is sufficiently enhanced, it might not be worth the effort. I see it as a way to dramatically increase the seedling output from a limited space germination station... if it works.

Arksaw;-) Carl's (JJJ) right! My mass-germ was result of my fear that none would germ (because even after reading every glog on here, I doubted myself) so I planted a blue gazillion to cell per 6 pack cell. They pull apart great if dry as bone. And the seeds signaling one another makes total sense. Okra/beans/corn do it inground. One minute there, the next, all hooked and up.

Doing the same with maters and holding them back until next week for pot up. Not for germ but volume as plan to sell/give away some mater plants. Only 3 to 4 per cell but it's working.

Have any of the unsoaked manzanos germed? I just soaked everything (except one flat yellow manzanos) in H202 and Potassium Nitrate mix in de-clorinated, warm water, in mouthwash cups, kept warm on heat mat over night. 1. to kill any surface crud with the H202 that would cause damp-off or other disease and 2. both to see what sank, what floated after salt petre softening seed coat. The floaters are my slowest growers, even thought they did germ. I did several 6 packs "labeled floaters mixed" with the names of each in each cell. On the maters, I picked out the floaters for that reason.

I like your experiment! I slapped a couple yellow manzano seeds in just moist soil and only two germed. NOT ENOUGH :mope: Hope you have better luck! The rest were soaked.

And you can get PotNit at Lowe's or HD as Spectracide Stump Remover, for future reference if you want to try it.

Given the weather we're having, glad held the tomatoes back. The minute they go in bigger pots, gonna take off. One thing I've discovered is that small, healthy toms grow better inground than the large transplants. Same deal with cukes. One set true leaves, cukes thrive. 2 at most. But let the dang things get large, they don't produce long. Toms just produce less. My experience in this soil: amended clay.

How much going to peppers? :shocked: More than "should." I'd never have thought would have wanted larger field, but I do. I'd love to garden in field zones. One field for the superhots, one for hots like jals, datil, ajis, one for mild peppers, one for sweet. Another for hybrid toms, another for heirloom. And another for cucurbits. And another for corn/beans and another just for taters. Farther away from other fields. One good infestation of potato bugs will cure ya ;). So thinking about doing some peppers in pots, 7 gal. Don't want to as I about have to invest in Dynagrow products, forget organic, separate irrigation (takes emiters rather than just drip or tape), and 5-1-1-1 mixes for container-anything, dialing in ferts, and ya just don't get the yield as well as inground. But since I don't wannat go container, thinking "sq. inch gardening." :rofl: Almost hoping the snow got my kale and beets, as I could use one raised bed for cukes with trellises :dance:. Are you growing any peps in containers as we watch the unseasonable snow fly? :rolleyes:

Thanks for putting some real work on the Borging, Sawyer.
A variety of ways to test, but it requires some space. For example, use a tough germinating variety sow 50 singles and then a few clusters each of 5, 10, and 15 with the seed almost touching. Great project for a college Ag student. With and electron microscope or what ever, they could ID the clustering chemical compound.

Back