• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sawyer's 2013 Glog - Last Harvest/First Sauce

I haven't done a grow log before, but thought I'd give it a try this year. I'm growing mostly super hots, so I feel like I'm already behind schedule. Anyone know where January went? No pictures yet, I'll add some later when things (hopefully) start popping.

My setup is a basic home-made 2-tier 1" PVC plant stand. Each tier can accommodate 4 standard 1020 nursery flats and has three 2-bulb T-12 4' 40W fluorescent shop lights suspended above. The bulbs are a mix of Daylight, Wide Spectrum, and Power Twist. (I can't give you a K rating on these off the top of my head.) I use heater mats to try to keep the flats in the comfort zone for germination. They are wired to a dimmer switch so I can adjust the current. Even with the dimmer switch, in the past I've had trouble keeping uniform temperature, so this year I've put a layer of aluminum foil on top of the mats to spread out the heat and a layer of kraft paper on top of that. The flats go directly on the kraft paper. If anyone has any tips or tricks for controlling the temperature of heater mats (without purchasing an expensive thermostat), I'd love to hear about it.

I use standard 1020 nursery trays with 1206 (72-cell) inserts. I filled the inserts to planting depth with Sushine Mix #1 and planted anywhere from 2 (new) to 4 (old) seeds per cell. I then topped off the trays with some peat-based germination mix. I intended to use Fafard 3b germination mix, but didn't want to open a new bag for only four flats. I had a small bag of Miracle Grow and one of Ferry Morse left over from days past so I used one of those, I forget which.

The germination stand is in a back room in the warmest part of the house. As plants geminate and become established they'll be moved, either in whole flats, or potted out separately, to a 3-tier, 5 flat/tier stand in front of a bright picture window on the south side of the house. No lights on that yet and may not need them since the window gets direct sun for several hours per day. I'll be starting a lot of other seeds besides hot peppers, so I can't just leave them on the heater mats 'til plant out.

I started four flats today, one whole flat of self-propagated, pure-strain red Bhut Jolokia and up to 12 cells each of the following (note - I prefer the term 7 Pot to 7pod, but am keeping the 7pod nomenclature here out of deference to the vendor):

(First parenthesis is # of plants from first planting on 2/11, second is # plants/# soaked on 3/4)

Red Bhut Jolokia (my own isolated) (75)
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (PL) (0)
Brown Bhut Jolokia (PL) (1)
White Bhut Jolokia (PL) (8), (15/20)
Yellow Fatalii (RFC) (11), (6/10)
Giant White Habanero (RFC) (7)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend (PL) (10), (28/35)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend (RFC) (14)
T. Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend Yellow (PL) (6), (19/25)
T. 7pod Congo SR Gigantic (PL) (9), (2/7)
T. 7pod Large Red (PL) (4)
T. 7pod Large Yellow (PL) (1)
T. 7pod Brain Strain (PL) (10), (2/9)
T. 7pod Brain Strain Yellow (PL) (4), (11/12)
T. 7pod Brown (PL) (17)
T. 7pod Burgundy (PL) (8)
T. Douglah (PL) (5), (4/20)
T. Scorpion Butch T. (PL) (7)
T. Scorpion Yellow (PL) (18)
T. Scorpion Original Strain (PL) (1)
T. Seasoning (PL) (4)

New strains/sources started on 3/4:
Red Bhut Jolokia (PL) (45/50)
Scotch Bonnet Brown (PL) (22/34)
'12 7 Pot Yellow (RFC) (0/11)
'12 Bhut Jolokia Chocolate (PL) (0/14)
Datil (PL) (7/22)
Bhut Jolokia Orange (PL) (15/20)
T. Scorpion CARDI (PL) (7/20)
Tobago Treasure (PL) (8/20)

Started on 3/6:
Red Bhut Jolokia (own isolated) (>50)
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion (CPI) (13)
NuMex Pinata (CPI) (40)
White Bullet Hab (PL) (13)

Unrecorded plant date:
Orange Hab (PL) (2)
TS Cardi (PL) (7)
Dorset Naga (PL) (5)

Started on 3/25:
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (PL) - 8/?
Long Choco Habanero (AjiJoe) - 17/42
Pimenta da Neyde (PL) - 14/30
Giant Mexican Rocoto (PL) - 0/40
CAP 1144 (PL) - 0/21
(old) Yellow Habanero (Trade Winds) - 0/24
(old) Jamaican Red Mushroom (RFC) - 0/18
Trinidad Congo Red (PL) - 10/12
Datil (PL) - 9/22 (4 hh)
7 Pot Primo (PL) - 5/18
Early Jalapeno (PL) - 19/36
Cracked Jalapeno (PL) - 33/36
Large Hot Cherry (PL) - 33/36
Surprise Hot Mix (AjiJoe) - 97/144

Edit 4/3: add sources PL=pepperlover, RFC=Refining Fire Chiles, CPI=Chile Pepper Institute
Edit 4/3: (in blue)
Edit 4/29: Edit title (again)

Hi, Annie. I just started the rocoto germination test yesterday, so it's too early to see any results. The cold tea soak will get planted today and the warm water soak, tomorrow. I learned something today; I was unaware of the sense of "couple" to mean "a few" (I looked it up). I was confused why, if you planted a couple of seeds and two germinated, why 100% germination wasn't good enough for you. Tough crowd. :P

I can't bring myself to pay the inflated price/pound for KNO[sub]3[/sub] sold as stump remover. I can get a 50# bag from my supplier for about $66 and from the local farmer's co-op for about $80 (I think). It's a very useful material for a lot of different projects, plus I've thought of making it available in smaller quantities for a reasonable price to folks on THP and other seed starters.

I've got lots of 1-gal and 2-gal trade containers, and am about to order 63 3-gal and 47 5-gal containers, plus 25 of the 5-gal grow bags like DocNRock uses. I want to keep a lot of these peppers under the shade of my silver maples, so containers will be the way to go for that. Still got to figure out how much mix to order to fill them (one of today's tasks). I'm going to use Sunshine #1 mixed roughly 2:1 with coarse pine bark mulch to improve drainage. It's less expensive than buying pre-mixed pine bark-based mix. I'm hoping my cement mixer will work to mix the stuff so I don't have to do it all by hand.

It's not snowing here anymore, but the temperature is 27ºF near mid-day here. Brrrr.

Thanks, JJJ (first J is silent). I have a couple different numbers in clusters, 3 and 5, and I used the same number of separated seeds in the non-clustered cells so the total germination numbers will be directly comparable (and to increase my chances of getting at least one plant per cell). I can think of two ways to identify the compound (well, three if you count reviewing the literature for what is probably already known). If it's a gas that's released, a small "sniffer" nozzle would be inserted into the cluster zone with the other end connected to the input of a gas chromatograph (or other appropriate spectrograph). If the chemical is a liquid or solid, the seeds would need to be removed from the germinating medium at just the right time and rinsed with a solvent (probably ethanol) and the solution run through an HPLC (same thing used to measure capsaicin content). You're right, it would be a great project for a grad student. (Unless it's already been done.)

If I get statistically significant results, I have some ag professor friends to contact to see what's already known about this. On the other hand, if the results aren't significant, there is a plausible explanation. Even with the usual tight level of control we try to use for the germinating environment, there is still variation in temperature and moisture content across a flat. If a particular cell reaches the optimum combination of temperature and moisture, then it is reasonable that most of the (viable) seeds there will germinate. We shall soon see.

BTW, I replaced the first chart above with a color-coded version for ease of interpretation.

Sawyer love dem different experiments you are doing, great stuff that we are all trying different things and sharing the information. My money’s on Borg sowing, "resistance is futile" ;) I’ll be interested in reading how your preferred and Greg’s methods work out in comparison to Carl’s technique. This is great stuff! Keep up the great work mon!

I sowed a couple more flats today (I really need to figure out how to resize images):

Easiest way to resize (if using XP, or Winders 7 & up) select the pics and right click, choose send to, then mail recipient. It will then open a box that allows you choose the pic size. Email them to yourself and then post.

I'm not sure if this works without Microsoft Office, as mine opens Outlook. But the three Winders versions have Outlook Express. And of course the email software has to be configured to send and receive. The wife showed me this trick and you can resize several pics at once. Now if you have a Mac, not sure but I bet there's a similar way.

Take care,

Scott

Edit: added more stuff

Thanks, Scott. I do use a Mac, but I thought I had found a way. I open the image in Preview and there is a tool, "Adjust Size". I adjusted the size from 8.5" x 11" for the color-coded chart to 6" x 7.77" (or something like that). Uploaded to tinypic, copied image code to THP and it takes up exactly as much space as it did as the original 8.5" x 11". For the moment, I'm stumped.

Well, I thought (again) I had it figured it out. In the edit window here on THP, I can grab one of the corner control nodes of an image and scale it down to whatever size I want. But when I click on "Preview Post", it automatically resizes to maximum width. Oh, well.

Thanks, Scott. I do use a Mac, but I thought I had found a way. I open the image in Preview and there is a tool, "Adjust Size". I adjusted the size from 8.5" x 11" for the color-coded chart to 6" x 7.77" (or something like that). Uploaded to tinypic, copied image code to THP and it takes up exactly as much space as it did as the original 8.5" x 11". For the moment, I'm stumped.

Well, I thought (again) I had it figured it out. In the edit window here on THP, I can grab one of the corner control nodes of an image and scale it down to whatever size I want. But when I click on "Preview Post", it automatically resizes to maximum width. Oh, well.

I'm off a day or two, AC guys a coming (and a takin' my money!), but I work with a super Mac user, taught Journalism for years. I'll see what she says.

Scott

edit: typo me?

Mac trick. Open in preview. Adjust window to smaller size on your screen making the image smaller with it. Command shift 4 gives you the screen caputure crop tool. Click and drag from top on one side to the bottom of other side. File is saved to desktop of what area you dragged. Open up back in preview and save as jpg. Default screen capture format is png, you can change to jpg in setting somewhere to keep from resaving evertime. I have the adobe suite, but still do screen captures as its quick.

Mac trick. Open in preview. Adjust window to smaller size on your screen making the image smaller with it. Command shift 4 gives you the screen caputure crop tool. Click and drag from top on one side to the bottom of other side. File is saved to desktop of what area you dragged. Open up back in preview and save as jpg. Default screen capture format is png, you can change to jpg in setting somewhere to keep from resaving evertime. I have the adobe suite, but still do screen captures as its quick.

Thanks, GA. I figured it out. The method I described above works, I just wasn't resizing small enough. Next time I post an image or chart, I'll try to dial in just what size looks best. Also, tinypic.com seems to work as well with .png as .jpg, though a .png doesn't really save a lot of space vs. a compressed .jpg.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

Nice grow list- all that heat!

I hope you catch your midnight nibbler. I think his days are numbered.

Michelle

MN has gotten pretty wise about traps. Actually, I don't think it has been back in the house since the last raid. I may have plugged its access point, or it may have had enough of hot peppers. It does, I think, still wander around under the house. There is an enclosed space between my bedroom and the bathroom that is inaccessible from the interior of the house, but is, apparently, accessible from underneath. (Not the wall cavity, an actual little 3'x3'x3' volume, an elfin hideaway if you will... it's an old, and odd, house.) For some time now, I've been hearing an occasional skitter and mild ruckus from that general direction and suspected the cause might be one and the same as MN. This first crossed my mind after the first pepper raid, when actual pieces of pepper disappeared, and the next day the rumpus was a little more pronounced and for the first time I heard vocalizations. I don't know how else to describe it except as a most mournful and pitiable squeak. I thought in passing, "Hmmm, it must be eating the pepper," but wasn't really serious about it. Time passed with no more squeaking, pained or otherwise, until the next (and last) pepper raid. The next day, a pattern was detected, with more scrabbling and woebegone chirping. I've heard very little since -- but enough to know it wasn't rodent suicide.

Since the last raid involved the pilfering of two small but whole peppers, it seems obvious MN is a chilehead. I have no more hot peppers to test this theory, but I'll look for something appropriately spicy next time I'm in town and use it for bait in the live trap. The dog food I used previously apparently didn't pass muster. (I've quit setting the kill trap as I now want to see this thing alive.)

... Since the last raid involved the pilfering of two small but whole peppers, it seems obvious MN is a chilehead. I have no more hot peppers to test this theory, but I'll look for something appropriately spicy next time I'm in town and use it for bait in the live trap. The dog food I used previously apparently didn't pass muster. (I've quit setting the kill trap as I now want to see this thing alive.)
Explore the cooking with fire forum, find a great recipe and cook up dat chilihead a nice meal. Sit around with your camera in a wait and see mode, don’t forget he/she will probably enjoy a cold beer with that meal :D

I've had no luck with my mexican rocotos - and I don't have any salt petre, so I'm really curious about your other methods. I have a few seeds left, not sure if it's too late to try again, but I'm tempted...

No news yet on the most recent plantings and experiments and I'll update the final numbers on the 3/4 and 3/6 plantings soon. I potted up another 3 flats (54 plants) yesterday for a total of 108 in 3.5" square pots (all superhots, so far). Here are some pics of the grow stand, which is slowly starting to populate. I hope some weight will help flatten out the sun-curled plywood. It's been quite cool since the last update, so there hasn't been a whole lot of growth. Everyone seems happy, nonetheless. It's supposed to be up in the mid- to upper-60s for the next few days, :woohoo: so I expect them to start kicking up their heels.
j0ib5t.jpg

A close up of the bottom shelf. These are the ones potted up yesterday.
20p5x1.jpg

A close up of the top shelf. These were potted up a couple of weeks or so ago.
2wfq16w.jpg

And a close up of the OWs.
23wky02.jpg

I'll post some portraits of individual plants soon.

Well I made it through all 8 pages to find the critter has like Elvis left the building. Lets hope he has moved on to his outdoor home. You have given me several things to try next year from the foam board insulation to raising the seed starter trays off of my heat mats. Lots of great information here but it is all trial and error and what works best in your own situation. After reading several glogs tonight I'm just happy to have 165 plants that have survived and will hopefully produce a few peppers in the coming months. I'm going to try the Walmart bags as well as a test. Hope our weather warms next week so we can both get the tillers going.

Well, the rain didn't hold off. Woke up this morning to a thunderstorm, power outage, and steady (intermittently heavy) rain. Will need a few dry days, preferably warm, sunny, and windy, before I'll be able to get into the garden effectively.

Due to the power outage, rain, and it being a holiday (perfect excuse to sleep in), my phone being on the charger in the other room, the fact no one ever confirmed my order before this morning (after numerous unanswered emails and phone calls on my part -- dude was down with the flu), and my assumption that no response meant no deliveries on Good Friday, I missed the BWI delivery driver this morning. Apparently he is still in the area and they are going to try to send him back by here. I've ordered 63 #3 blow-mold containers, 47 #5 blow-mold containers (with handles!), 25 lbs of 20-20-20 Peters water soluble fertilizer, (4) 3.8 cf bales of Sunshine #1 mix (to go with 5 or more I already have), (10) 3 cf bags of pine bark mulch (to mix with the Sunshine for improved drainage), and (1) 2.8 cf bag of Fafard Mix #52 (a pine bark based mix for comparison).

...hang on, someone's at the door...

Ok, delivery received. All's well that ends well.

I've added four 23 Watt, 1500 lumen, 6500K CFLs to the grow stand. These are primarily for supplemental lighting during cloudy stretches.
5mcs5k.jpg

I talked to the guy at the hardware store where I got the CFLs and have reached a tentative agreement in principle to market some of my excess pepper plants through there. (Did this last year with some daffodils.) Also talked to a friend of mine who owns one of the local burrito chains about putting some pepper plants in front of one his stores. He has a 6' x 24' space where he wants to put a salsa garden, so it won't be 100% peppers. This will be a raised bed on concrete. Any comments on how deep the soil should be to give this idea a chance of success? He'll probably use railroad ties for the sides.

Back