• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Scary Jalapenos

The corking on Jalapenos can usually be an indication of heat, like dimples and spikes with other varieties. When we were small we were taught to find the Jalapenos with "scaring" because they were likely to be hot. Although Ive had some smooth shiny ones that were scorchers and some with minimal corking that were tame.
Yeah Ive had some Jalapenos that were damn hot and would make your ears ring, Ive noticed that the heat seems to be a very irritable burn and stingy. Never under estimate Jalapenos because you can get some that will really leave you a hurting unit.

Ive been getting this "blister packs" from these ladies at the farmers market which is a sandwich bag ziploc that has jalapenos, red and green, and little yellow/orange hots that wreck you pretty good. So I pretty much stay away from the jalapenos at Walmart since not only do they lack in heat, but also in flavor.

My early jalapenos are as hot as bell peppers. I'm dissapointed. I guess I should water them less often and see if that heats them up a bit.

Everything I grew this year was hotter than normal, even my Mariachis had decent heat when ripe. Biker Billy Jalapenos have the most consistent heat of any variety I've grown.

This is my first good year growing the japs so is that what you guys do is wait for them to cork heavy like the pic? I had some of that going on but mayby didn't let them go long enough. I did get alot of red ones and I just love the red color of the powder I get.

I'm not that convinced that corking is related to heat, I've seen "fooled you" jalapenos with a lot of corking, and I've had smooth pods from a few varieties that were on the extreme side for a jalapeno? A good traditional Mexican jalapeno will have corking though, so its always a good indication that you probably have something good (flavor and heat) if you have a lot of corking. Did I just contradict myself?

Corking is not an indicator of heat it just means the pod grew faster than skin could keep up. Think of it like human stretch marks. :)

So very true. My jalapenos this summer were a brilliant red and corked like crazy, but had no heat at all. It was a huge disappointment, because I thought the corking meant it would be hot.

I had the same thing happen to me this year! I'm new to the pepper thing, but I'm to the point where I can eat decent sized chunks of a scorp or bhut with little problem. I've had a few jalapenos this year that have knocked me on my butt! I think it's just a different kind of heat - it gets me worse. As other people have said it's a more up front in your face stab your tongue with a hot poker kind of burn instead of a back of your tongue long lasting one. I was thinking I was just a wuss too.

My Jalapenos gave folks instant hiccups so you know they were HOT! I hope I get to pick the hundred or so that are on the plants if Sandy doesn't destroy everything. I smoked 4 trays the other day for powders.

anyone try rome jalapenos before? From what i read about them they are one of the hottest strain of jalapeno so i purchased some seeds and will give them a try next season

Back