cutlery SciurusDoomus's Guide to Sharp-as-hell knives

SciurusDoomus's Guide to Sharp Knives

I haven't seen a post like this on THP and I think everyone should know how to keep their knives sharp without ruining the knife or themselves financially.This is a long post, you've been warned.

Why you need to throw away your wedge grinder:

When most people think about sharpening knives in the kitchen, they think of those wedge grinders. You know, those things you grip in one hand and pull your knife though? All those “Miracle Diamond Super Edge” pieces of crap you see on T.V. for seven easy payments of $10.99 work on the same principle: They're two offset pieces of ceramic that basically strip off a huge amount of metal on the knife in an attempt to create a new edge. There are two problems with this sort of sharpener:

1. They create a new edge where one usually isn't needed: This means that you're not sharpening the edge that exists, but creating a new one every time. It also means you're limited to the edge angle that's determined by the sharpener. This is fine if you're sharpening your lawnmower blade, but it offers no freedom to the user about how their knife works

2. They remove an enormous amount of metal, reducing the lifespan of your knife. In addition to this, they also tend to “scallop” the edge, removing metal unevenly which will give you ragged, ugly cuts and a knife that doesn't feel smooth when cutting

Why you need to buy stones:

Sharpening stones, whet stones, water stones, or just stones are integral to keeping your knives sharp. Stones allow you freedom of the angle at which you grind the edge, they allow you to grind off minute amounts of metal at a time (lengthening the knife's life), and they almost always get a more precise edge that cuts better than other “quick” grind methods.

What sorts of stones do you need?

Stones can be broken into two main catagories: natural and synthetic. Natural stones mostly come from Arkansas and Japan, places that have rock layers that consist of very small particles bound loosely together. When steel is rubbed over these stones, the particles are pulled away from the rest of the stone as they grind against the steel. This sharpens the steel as well as exposes new, sharp particles on the surface of the stone. Natural stones tend to be more expensive as they are becoming more and more rare, but some people prefer them for their beauty and because they can go up to very very high grits. Synthetic stones are basically ceramic particles bound together with an adhesive. They operate on the same principle as natural stones but they are cheaper and have very consistent grit sizes, meaning you will get a very consistent grind on your knife.

Many people own several stones, but I get away with two: A coarse stone for reshaping lost edges and a fine stone for finishing/polishing/honing/stropping the knife. My coarse stone is a 240/320 grit and the fine stone is a 1000/6000 grit. Using just these stones, you can get almost any knife razor sharp with practice.

Grit:

Grit simply refers to the size of the particles of the stone. A high number means a smaller particle and a finer grind on the knife. Typically grits <500 are used for regrinding a lost edge and take off a lot of metal. ~1000 grit stones are used for fine tuning and shaping of the edge and finally 4000+ stones are typically used for polishing and only remove a small amount of metal at a time.

Edge Angle:

Edge angle is simply the angle between the two edges of a knife. Most knives vary between 15 and 35 degrees. Obviously, a very small angle results in a thin edge that is prone to bending, but when sharp and honed, can cut very finely. Razors are typically in the range of 15 to 20 degrees. On the other end, survival knives are typically ground at 30 to 35 degrees. This fat edge is stronger and allows the knife to be batonned through logs without bending or dulling too quickly. The middle ground (20 to 25 degrees) is where most every day carry (EDC) knives, pocket knives, and kitchen knives settle. Note that edge angle refers not to the angle between the two sides of an edge, but to the angle between one edge and the middle of the spine of a knife. If you were to create a 20 degree edge, you would hold the knife 20 degrees up from the stone, not 10.

How to Grind:

There are several different methods to grind an edge. They apply to creating a new edge as well as refining one that already exists. Before using any method, it's always good to lubricate the stone in either oil or water. This is done by first soaking the stone for a long time in the lubricant and then applying it with a finger every now and again during sharpening. Stones are porous and will soak up a lot of lubricant by themselves. This will reduce the amount you need to apply by hand during sharpening later.

Note that for most synthetic stones it doesn't matter whether you use oil or water but you should never use one and then the other on the same stone. I use water since it's cheaper and because oil is messy and there's no tangible benefit. Also, make sure that you put a rag or paper towel underneath the stone to prevent from moving around during sharpening. The point of lubricant is to suspend the dulled stone particulate and metal filings in the lubricant. This is called "cutting swarf," "slurry," "paste," or "mud." When grinding, this swarf/slurry/paste/mud will help sharpen, polish, and lubricate the blade as it moves across the stone. Some people prefer to clean slurry away but most people keep it on the stone until they're done sharpening.

Lie the flat of the blade on the stone and slowly tilt it upwards until you feel it stop. This is call “finding the edge” and once you get a feel for your knives, you'll be able to find it quickly. Practice a few times before flipping the knife around and finding the edge on the other side. It is critical that you maintain the same angle with your hand as you sharpen or you risk wasting time and metal. When you sharpen, you'll be pushing the knife so that it's sharpening edge first. Imagine that you're trying to shave off the top layer of the stone. (When you hone, you'll go the other way, as if you're trying to put that layer of stone back with a trowel.)

Once you've found the edge, you have a few options. Some people prefer moving the knife in a figure eight over the length of the stone or in small circles. I prefer long lateral strokes across the stone since it wears the stone evenly and reduces the need to grind the stone flat later. You can use one hand or two to push the knife; I generally use two, holding the knife in my dominant hand to maintain the angle and pushing only with my non-dominant hand. However, as long as you can keep your angle, it doesn't matter at all how you hold it.

Pressure is also very important. The amount of pressure with which you start grinding typically depends on how much metal to intend to take off the knife by the end. Generally, I apply pressure slowly until I feel the knife dragging slightly against the stone as I draw it. You'll quickly get a feel for the ratio of pressure to metal removal. As you grind, slowly lighten the pressure until your last few strokes are with just the weight of the knife (or even less if you can do that and maintain the angle.) This lightening of pressure will run the dulled particles over the edge and slightly buff and hone the edge, reducing the time you spend stropping or honing later.

If you're making lateral strokes back and forth across the stone, your grinding time can be shortened by stroking 5 times on one side and then 5 on the other. Do this a few times and then reduce the stroke number to 4, 3, etc. When you get to the point where you are doing one stroke per side, make sure you're putting very little pressure on the blade and keeping your angle religiously. When you're finished, you can “strop” the blade by drawing it backwards (i.e. the spine toward you) along the stone. This will hone/straighten the edge. This is like what a chef or barber does to his knife. A chef will use a long metal hone and a barber typically uses a leather strop. The point of stropping is to line up an edge that is already sharp. This will give you a cleaner cut.

Stone Care:

After every use, stones must be scrubbed gently under running water to remove all slurry and metal particulate from their surfaces. Remember that higher grit stones tend to be softer (and more expensive!) and you should therefore be more delicate with them.

Eventually, your stones will become uneven on one side or develop a scooped out “belly” in the middle where most grinding takes place. To correct this, there are many plate grinders or special stones known as “Nagura” stones which are ground over the top to flatten your stones. Yes, this takes away precious material, but a stone that isn't flat won't sharpen reliably. Most people who use synthetic stones use a diamond sharpener to flatten their stones as coarse diamond sharpeners take less time to remove stone material and will never lose their own flatness like another stone might. The only drawback to diamond sharpeners is that they tend to be expensive. However, they will take a lot of abuse before they lose efficacy.

This was a brief look into knife care. There are other techniques such as stropping with a piece of leather and stropping compound, honing with a steel chef's hone, and tarnish protection, but they take up too much room for this post. I hope you enjoyed this and for Pete's sake throw out your damn wedge grinder!

May your knives never dull,

S

P.S. Here are the stones I use:

240/320 Grit stone:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y3BM84/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1000/6000 Grit stone:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037MCLLO/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks! A very informative article for someone who doesn't know how to sharpen a knife too well.

I bought what I call a butcher's steel at a flea market and get halfway decent results. The steel portion is about 15 inches long and has a circular cross section. Can't remember the brand name, but I'm told it's a good one. How do you rate this type?

I used to use a stone and put oil on it. After some time it got gummed up with the oil and doesn't work. Any way to cure that?

A butcher's steel is the long rod I mentioned in the paragraph before "Stone Care." The knife is dragged spine-first across the steel at your edge angle to basically straighten an already sharp edge. While cutting, you can bend and edge slightly so that it's still very sharp but doesn't make a straight line down from the spine. This will result in ragged or in the case of a "rolled edge" very wobbly and dangerous-to-make cuts as the knife might slide around unpredictably. A hone is really important, but it's not a sharpening tool, just a tool to keep a sharp edge working for longer.

As for your stone, I would probably try and soak it in soapy water. Most of the time, it's a lost cause and you're going to have to use oil on that stone forever. If that doesn't work, use a Brillo pad to remove as much slurry from the pores as you can and then use a Nagura stone or another stone treatment option to wear down the gummed up areas.

Best of luck!

Sm1nts2escape said:
I like my diamond coated rod. Haven't used a stone in years. Stones get the best blade though.
Diamond coated rods are great because they basically never wear down. Different strokes for different folks (literally).

The only problem I have with diamond rod sharpeners is that they're typically used with systems like the Spyderco Sharpmaker or some other system that holds the angle for you. I've never used any of these sharpening systems, but I don't want my hand to be held though the sharpening process. Sure, it takes way more skill and practice to get a decent edge when freehanding on a stone, but you learn something every time you take your stones out. The same can't be said for a Sharpmaker/Lansky Sharpening System.

Great informative post. This is the same way we sharpen our knives at work.
One way to clean dirty stones that I learned back home was to soak the stones in methylated spirits (not sure what that's called in the US), then wash with soapy water. 

MeatHead1313 said:
Great informative post. This is the same way we sharpen our knives at work.
One way to clean dirty stones that I learned back home was to soak the stones in methylated spirits (not sure what that's called in the US), then wash with soapy water. 
"Methylated Spirits" is ethanol (drinking alchohol) with methyl alcohol or methanol (poison) added so that it's not for drinking. Isopropyl alcohol or acetone will work just the same I suspect as they're all small-molecule organic solvents.

The alcohol will likely just dislodge any metal or swarf while the soapy water will remove the oil. I'm not too sure about what chemicals are okay to use on stones since the adhesives holding the particles together are likely proprietary chemicals whose formulas we can't get a hold of.

SciurusDoomus said:
"Methylated Spirits" is ethanol (drinking alchohol) with methyl alcohol or methanol (poison) added so that it's not for drinking. Isopropyl alcohol or acetone will work just the same I suspect as they're all small-molecule organic solvents.

The alcohol will likely just dislodge any metal or swarf while the soapy water will remove the oil. I'm not too sure about what chemicals are okay to use on stones since the adhesives holding the particles together are likely proprietary chemicals whose formulas we can't get a hold of.
Ahhh. Awesome info. Thanks! I'm sure different stone manufacturers probably have slightly different chemicals they use as adhesives. I know the metho had no problem with the one's we used back home. Haven't tried it over here though. The stone we use at work we just use soapy water and it holds up well with that. 
I would like to add (no offense meant at all), Lansky kits and similar sharpening kits are great for people who have never sharpened a knife before. If nothing else it definitely helps to get an eye for what angles to use when they graduate to using a regular stone. Though personally even though I still own a Lansky kit (don't have a stone at home yet so use it for the house knives), stones do bring a more even edge to your knives.
Also, when using a steel to straighten the edge, it helps immensely if you try to keep the same angle that you used to sharpen the blade, and try to keep it even through the whole stroke. 

SciurusDoomus said:
The only problem I have with diamond rod sharpeners is that they're typically used with systems like the Spyderco Sharpmaker or some other system that holds the angle for you

I use the Kershaw diamond rod for my knives. It's a small rod for freehand sharpening. I need to get a longer sharpening rod. But I'd really like to have the Edge Pro Sharpening kit..

MeatHead1313 said:
Ahhh. Awesome info. Thanks! I'm sure different stone manufacturers probably have slightly different chemicals they use as adhesives. I know the metho had no problem with the one's we used back home. Haven't tried it over here though. The stone we use at work we just use soapy water and it holds up well with that. 
I would like to add (no offense meant at all), Lansky kits and similar sharpening kits are great for people who have never sharpened a knife before. If nothing else it definitely helps to get an eye for what angles to use when they graduate to using a regular stone. Though personally even though I still own a Lansky kit (don't have a stone at home yet so use it for the house knives), stones do bring a more even edge to your knives.
Also, when using a steel to straighten the edge, it helps immensely if you try to keep the same angle that you used to sharpen the blade, and try to keep it even through the whole stroke. 
Absolutely, the Lansky kit and others are great for beginners and you can get a damn good edge with minimal toil. That said, anything you learn on a kit is something you'll have to re-learn in the context of stone sharpening should you decide to make the jump. This might just be for me, but stone sharpening is a really touchy-feely kind of thing. I don't really look at the knife or the stone too much when I sharpen since the way the blade feels in my hand is the most reliable way to get the edge. You might get that sort of feel on a Spyderco Sharpmaker since those are semi-freehand (the rods are held vertically at the correct angles and the knife is pushed vertically down and across them.), but the stone is a completely different set of skills that need honing. (No pun intended. ;))

I got to, "Why you need to throw away your wedge grinder:", stopped reading and LIKED your post.

Says it all right there.

I have been sharpening steel my whole life, from kitchen and pocket knives, to wood carving knives, to chainsaws, to drill-bits, even tweezers, lol etc. etc. etc.

The principal remains the same. Good onya for posting a well versed, comprehensive post on this subject!

Ah hell... A couple more LIKES won't hurt...

SciurusDoomus said:
Absolutely, the Lansky kit and others are great for beginners and you can get a damn good edge with minimal toil. That said, anything you learn on a kit is something you'll have to re-learn in the context of stone sharpening should you decide to make the jump. This might just be for me, but stone sharpening is a really touchy-feely kind of thing. I don't really look at the knife or the stone too much when I sharpen since the way the blade feels in my hand is the most reliable way to get the edge. You might get that sort of feel on a Spyderco Sharpmaker since those are semi-freehand (the rods are held vertically at the correct angles and the knife is pushed vertically down and across them.), but the stone is a completely different set of skills that need honing. (No pun intended. ;))
I agree. Though I got lucky when it came to learning to sharpen knives. Working for the largest beef processing plant in the Southern hemisphere had it's perks lol. 

Back