• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Scored a $50 grow tent ...need advise....

Well I scored a $50 grow tent. It's the hydrohut 3x3 which is 40"x40"x78" inches ... Its a used grow tent and its i exellent condition I couldn't let this deal go. Unfortunenatly the grow tent did not come with the pole set. That's why it was so cheap. I emailed hydrohut and a pole replacement is $100 plus S&H .... It's expensive... What do you guys think ? Should I invest $100 or should I build my own using PVC? Their pole sets are made of steel and have a weight limit of 120lbs .... Can I get away with PVC to hang T5's ?
Thank you ..

I'm thinking maybe 1" or 1 1/4 " PVC ?
I calculated the price for the build with PVC ...it's around $35
I'm just concerned if later I decide to add a filter and additional parts to my grow tent.. Which weight issues will be a concern..

wacha gonna need a filter for? :whistle:

Good question I just assumed that in the future when I decide to grow peppers hydroponically a filter, exhaust, blower, maybe a HPS fixture etc may be needed.... So more wieght will be added to the PVC frame ...
Maybe not....I'm a newbie ... Trial and error will lead me to success ...

You might be better off using 2x2 lumber and screwing it together. Predrill pilot holes for your screws or you will split the lumber. Lightweight but rigid. I build light stands for my chick brooder coop out of 2x2's and have no problem hanging lights, feeders etc, etc. For a 3x3 frame you should be good to go if you use a 2x2 to frame every 18 inches. The upside is 2x2s and screws are cheap.

You might be better off using 2x2 lumber and screwing it together. Predrill pilot holes for your screws or you will split the lumber. Lightweight but rigid. I build light stands for my chick brooder coop out of 2x2's and have no problem hanging lights, feeders etc, etc. For a 3x3 frame you should be good to go if you use a 2x2 to frame every 18 inches. The upside is 2x2s and screws are cheap.

That's a good Idea... WOOD :)
I'm gonna work on some math and figure out the cost for wood and Shedule 80 PVC... thanks .!!!
I just tought that $100 for a replacement pole set-up is darn expensive ...
I got more time than money.... so building something is not a problem to me ..

you could get a whole new tent for a little more than the cost of the replacement poles.. build the frame, and I'd say wood would probably be better overall, probably just because I haven't worked with pvc much so I don't know how well it holds and reacts to different environments ect..

Conduit... would be the best...

I agree. A 1/2" X 10' conduit is $1.60....
Pretty strong...the only thing that kept me from building the frame with conduit is that I cannot find 3 way elbow joints.
Today I bought 1" PVC and 3 way elbows and some T joints for a total of $39
A bit pricey for PVC. I haven't built the frame yet just incase I find some 3 way joints for conduit. I'm planning on building it next weekend .

Another option is to use 1/2 or 3/4 ridged conduit.

I cannot find 3 way elbow joints for conduit. any Ideas ?

I would use conduit also. very sturdy. Not sure about the 3 way elbows. maybe reg pvc elbows and epoxy them. Also wood dowels might be the way to go. Let us know what you decided to go with and post some pics. Good luck with it...

I would use conduit also. very sturdy. Not sure about the 3 way elbows. maybe reg pvc elbows and epoxy them. Also wood dowels might be the way to go. Let us know what you decided to go with and post some pics. Good luck with it...

Yeah I'll post some pics of the build... I'm planning on building it this weekend coming up. I think I'm sticking with conduit..

Heres the pics of the grow tent frame. I decided to build it using 3/4 conduit. I got lucky and scored some 3 way elbow fittings from my local swap-meet. I got to admit that it was pure luck that I found such hard to find fittings. Each elbow fitting cost me $6 :surprised: . Grand total for conduit and fittings was about $65..... The good part about this build is that I can use the fittings in the near future if i ever decide to increase the size of the tent. All parts of the frame can be removed quick and easy. The frame is so strong and sturdy that a set of military pull-ups was not a problem. I actually did try it and I weigh (180lbs). I'm really happy with my first ever grow tent.

Local Swap-Meet
http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/50765/2023409-T400300.jpg

Finished Cutting all poles. I bought Six 3/4" 10 ft conduit.
http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/50765/2023410-T400300.jpg

Finished Frame
http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/50765/2023411-T400300.1.jpg

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/50765/2023412-T400300.1.jpg

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/50765/2023414-T400300.jpg

Oh btw. That 2ft T5 fixture is temporary. I ordered a 2ft 8 tube HO T5 from local hydroponic store. I'm getting it this tuesday :halo:

Heres the pics of the grow tent frame. I decided to build it using 3/4 conduit. I got lucky and scored some 3 way elbow fittings from my local swap-meet. I got to admit that it was pure luck that I found such hard to find fittings. Each elbow fitting cost me $6 :surprised: . Grand total for conduit and fittings was about $65..... The good part about this build is that I can use the fittings in the near future if i ever decide to increase the size of the tent. All parts of the frame can be removed quick and easy. The frame is so strong and sturdy that a set of military pull-ups was not a problem. I actually did try it and I weigh (180lbs). I'm really happy with my first ever grow tent.

Local Swap-Meet
2023409-T400300.jpg

Finished Cutting all poles. I bought Six 3/4" 10 ft conduit.
2023410-T400300.jpg

Finished Frame
2023411-T400300.1.jpg

2023412-T400300.1.jpg

2023414-T400300.jpg

Oh btw. That 2ft T5 fixture is temporary. I ordered a 2ft 8 tube HO T5 from local hydroponic store. I'm getting it this tuesday :halo:

I just noticed that I screwed up with the reply option and picture links.

Back