• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Scorpion vs. Naga

Basically, I have two questions regarding these two monsters.

1. Which one is hotter?
2. Which one has a better flavor?

The reason I ask #2 is because I've heard people say that they were disappointed with the taste of the Scorpion. Can anybody elaborate on this?

1. Until both will be properly tested, you won't get the real answer.
2. Exactly like you said, some were disappointed of the Scorpion flavor, so I guess the Naga is tastier. :|

Personally, I think that the Scorpion pepper is hotter than the Naga Morich.

I tried them both last year and I could somewhat eat the Naga even though it is extremely hot itself. But the Scorpion left me gasping for air after a bite off of it's tail end. It really impressed me that a pepper could be that hot.

I can't say very much about the taste of either one, though. The Naga did seem to have a somewhat smokey/fruity flavor to it for the few seconds before the burn hit me. I can't remember anything at all about the flavor of the Scorpion.

my 2 cents

Alan

Howdy Diabolus,

I'm with Alan, found the heat to be hotter and more up front with the Trinidad Scorpion, but the Naga Morich definately has a better flavour. I loved the flavour of the Naga, but was disappointed with the Scorpion. Everyone is different, so you just might have to try them for yourself.

Happy Chilli Growing,
Micca

I'm growing both of them this year. Maybe later this year I'll do a test on both of them and post. I've got the itch for an endorphin rush anyways.:hell::lol:.......you'll just have to wait a while for the results. No where near ready yet on the peppers coming in.

Diabolus said:
Basically, I have two questions regarding these two monsters.

1. Which one is hotter?
2. Which one has a better flavor?

The reason I ask #2 is because I've heard people say that they were disappointed with the taste of the Scorpion. Can anybody elaborate on this?

From my tastings Im of the opinion that the Naga has way more flavour, yes its true... You do get to taste a wonderful delicate apricot type flavour from the Nagas.

The Trinidad Scorpions left a very sharp, taste reminding me of the 7Pot I ate a few weeks back from bents plants.

To go by taste to determine which is the hotter, is beyond my capabilities & your going to get various pods being hotter than others. As we all know both are as hot as hell & hang on to you for a long time, if one thing the scorpion hits you earlier than the Naga, I find the Naga a building burn that just hangs heavy & long.

I was not disappointed in the Scorpion at all, in fact it surprised me & I cant wait to try some more. Ill be growing both these types again without any hesitation.:hell:

billyboy said:
From my tastings Im of the opinion that the Naga has way more flavour, yes its true... You do get to taste a wonderful delicate apricot type flavour from the Nagas.

The Trinidad Scorpions left a very sharp, taste reminding me of the 7Pot I ate a few weeks back from bents plants.

To go by taste to determine which is the hotter, is beyond my capabilities & your going to get various pods being hotter than others. As we all know both are as hot as hell & hang on to you for a long time, if one thing the scorpion hits you earlier than the Naga, I find the Naga a building burn that just hangs heavy & long.

I was not disappointed in the Scorpion at all, in fact it surprised me & I cant wait to try some more. Ill be growing both these types again without any hesitation.:hell:

Now that you say this. All peppers are good in there own way, and to say there is a bad pepper is blasphemy!:lol:

The front end and back end heat can be deceptive too.

A jalapeno is hotter on the front end than a habanero.

People's perception might be off if the scorpion is hotter off the bat, and then the heat of either one goes off the map on the back end. A comparison might be hard for even someone with an iron tongue.

They are both ridiculously hot! I know there is flavor somewhere, but I was gasping for air and doubled over in pain trying to find it. :)

Chris

I like really hot in most peppers, but I think it's nice to know how the flavor of just the pepper is as well. That way later when your cooking or making a sauce you know what to mix with it.;)

I should have elaborated a bit more on the Trinidad Scorpion. I found the flavour a bit dissapointing compared to the Naga, but was way impressed with the up front heat and lastability of the burn of the TS. It just kept coming on. There is never a bad Pepper:lol: just favourites.

Micca302 said:
I should have elaborated a bit more on the Trinidad Scorpion. I found the flavour a bit dissapointing compared to the Naga, but was way impressed with the up front heat and lastability of the burn of the TS. It just kept coming on. There is never a bad Pepper:lol: just favourites.

I must say I actually agree with you on that one!:lol:

Some very interesting replies here. I'm also hoping that the HippySeed guy will test the Scorpion. I enjoy his YouTube videos. They give you a good indication of what you're in for. I know somebody who is going to Trinidad and they're gonna try to bring me back some Scorpions. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I've found the same as the rest of you i.e. Naga better tasting but I also think that the Naga is hotter overall. The Scorpion has a lot more placenta tissue and that would make it seem hotter. Sometimes the worse tasting peppers, and hot sauces for that matter, seem hotter even though they aren't.

billyboy said:

I was hoping that the 7 Pot would have more flavor than the Scorpion? I'm gonna try growing Scorpion again next growing season with newly sourced seeds to see if the taste changes.

Back