• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Scotch Bonnet

Lately one of my locals has had some lovely bonnets in so i decided i would buy one. I picked the best looking one so that i can take the seeds and hopefully have a healthy plant or two.

What do you think of my pick?

100_1802.jpg

Its quite large but i think it has a near perfect shape too :dance:

Lately one of my locals has had some lovely bonnets in so i decided i would buy one. I picked the best looking one so that i can take the seeds and hopefully have a healthy plant or two.

What do you think of my pick?

100_1802.jpg

Its quite large but i think it has a near perfect shape too :dance:

I'd like to throw my 2 pence in.... Beautiful pod, nice choice!

i looks more like a WEST INDIAN RED the size and shape sort of dictates that

how ever im not saying its not a Bonnet

nice pepper just the same thanks your friend Joe

i looks more like a WEST INDIAN RED the size and shape sort of dictates that

how ever im not saying its not a Bonnet

nice pepper just the same thanks your friend Joe

Possibly yes, but what i find on google seems to indicate that the "west indian red" is a Jamaican pepper. The peppers available over here are African. For some reason i used to think they where of Kenyan origin, i think i might have been told this once by a market seller. I now however think otherwise, i recently did some research and come to the conclusion that they come from Uganda.

Mainly because i found a website that delt with wholesale traders, and lot of the scotch bonnets either came from the carribean or africa... Jamaica & Uganda being common sources. I also found this intersting article.

http://www.foodnet.cgiar.org/market/Uganda/reports/Pepper.PDF

It was from 2001 so quite old but none the less relivant.

My own pepper in this photo is 2inch in both length & hight at its longest points.

Possibly yes, but what i find on google seems to indicate that the "west indian red" is a Jamaican pepper. The peppers available over here are African. For some reason i used to think they where of Kenyan origin, i think i might have been told this once by a market seller. I now however think otherwise, i recently did some research and come to the conclusion that they come from Uganda.

Mainly because i found a website that delt with wholesale traders, and lot of the scotch bonnets either came from the carribean or africa... Jamaica & Uganda being common sources. I also found this intersting article.

http://www.foodnet.cgiar.org/market/Uganda/reports/Pepper.PDF

It was from 2001 so quite old but none the less relivant.

My own pepper in this photo is 2inch in both length & hight at its longest points.
oh OK
its actually more similar to Senegal red Habanero

thanks your friend Joe

oh OK
its actually more similar to Senegal red Habanero

thanks your friend Joe

They come in all kinds of shapes and sizes and of different stages of ripeness. The smallest in the box yesterday was wallnut sized. :)

THe falvour is deffo a scotch bonnet... and also a very strong flavour, unlike my home growns :(

I bought some seeds that was labeled as Yellow Scotch Bonnet. But upon further research it turns out that what I have is an annum variety and not a true scotch bonnet. It is known as Jamaican Yellow Mushroom.
What a bummer..

Mark T

Back