• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Scotch Bonnets

I did very little last year in my garden. A few tomatoes , some greens , and a couple of peppers.

This year I plan to do much more again. SB peppers are my favorites. I sort of specialize on them.

I had given SB seeds to some folks here. Several strains. I didn't even look in on the forum last summer to their results. If I gave you seeds would you be so kind as to tell
your thoughts. Good or Bad ... taste/aroma .... did they grow well ... etc

Thanks & Peace,
P. Dreadie

I recently received some Yellow Scotch Bonnet seeds labeled "P. Dreadie". NorTexChiliJs did a SASBE for different Bonnets here on THP. So, thanks for your good work making this strain available.

Tom

gona have to try some bonnets next year they seem like a cool pepper im perty full this year, i noticed they all dont look like a bonnet from what i have seen from a few vendors pictures,

Hi P. Dreadie.

Last winter I recieved seeds labelled P. Dreadie Scotch Bonnet from another Danish guy. They didn`t sprout...
However, I tried again this season (same batch of seeds) and now I have two small yet very nice looking plants.

https://picasaweb.google.com/103200663558013132715/12Feb2013

The only thing I know is that they are supposed to be yellow. Looking forward to what they will turn out to be.

JJ

I'm trying SBs for the first time this year. Tips? Do they need special treatment compared to habaneros? My habs were the heartiest plants I had last year. Still have them, as a matter of fact. They survived the winter outside (Louisiana winter) and are full grown and ready to start budding again! Bumper Crop!

My SB are not doing quite as well as my ultras, but I think they'll do much better once I get them out in sunlight (won't be long, plum blossoms are coming out now, which means warmer, longer days.)

JJ ... tried your link . Didn't work for me. Amazing my humble seeds got to your part of the world. Glad you got a few to sprout this year. I hope they do well for you. You can add photos here if you use something like Photo Bucket. I'll add a few here myself. I would love to hear your results .

georgej ... Hope your SB plants do well for you. I love these peppers , but then I do a lot of Jamaican style cooking ...

Phil Bonnets are just peppers. Treat them the same and you should do well.

Pepperhog there is a lot of differences in SB strains we find here. The looks very greatly !! One thing I'm working on for mine. The main thing is the fruity aroma / taste.

Bon1.jpg

CCNSB8-25-10.jpg

This I call Select ... just looks cooler

SSelect8-25-10.jpg

Sbottom.jpg

Scotch bonnets were the first peppers that made me freak the hell out all those years ago.
My tolerance has improved, but damn they're tasty!

Hi P. Dreadie.

I wouldn´t call your seeds humble by the look of your peppers... They look very, very nice. I just want to eat them.... Mmmmm.

Here´s one more attempt of posting a picture of one of two plants originating from you.

And I´ll keep your posted during the season.

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m576/JJ2720/PDreadieSB.jpg

JJ

JJ ... Looking good ! Are you growing hydro ?

One thing I would suggest is to trim the leaves that are laying on top of the soil. I grow in soil and have found leaves touching the soil causes problems. Fungus and such. But you know you're medium
better than me.

Thanks

You can post your pictures from Photo Bucket direct to this group . When you have the window open to post ... you'll see 2 lines . The 1st has a light switch and other things. The 2nd line has B I , etc. As you grow to the right from the B .... the 11th item down "shows a tree" inside a frame. When you hit that it drops a window and you can copy the direct link from P.B. into that , hit ok , and your photo should post.

Peace

Tanks.

No hydro. Home-blended soil, topped with vermiculite.

And yes, they are too close to the ground. I'm keeping them under a lot of supervision :-) So far no problems.

I start my plants in my cellar under LED lights and fairly cold temperatures (57-64 F) which gives me slowgrowing and compact plants. In the beginning of April most og them moves to the green houses where the growth explodes.

Thanks for the hints concerning photo upload. I'll study it carefully.

JJ

I'm trying SBs for the first time this year. Tips? Do they need special treatment compared to habaneros? My habs were the heartiest plants I had last year. Still have them, as a matter of fact. They survived the winter outside (Louisiana winter) and are full grown and ready to start budding again! Bumper Crop!

Hi Louisiana chilehead! Good luck with your grow this year. Bonnets do very well in the Louisiana summer, by the way, producing through the very worst heat, like your Orange Habs probably did...

Hi Louisiana chilehead! Good luck with your grow this year. Bonnets do very well in the Louisiana summer, by the way, producing through the very worst heat, like your Orange Habs probably did...
Yep, they sure did... and they're still producing at this very moment.... full of buds and small pods. But the cooler weather did make them freak out a bit. They're growing small pods and getting ripe very fast, turning orange while they're still pea-sized.... I ate one yesterday, and the flavor/heat is no different than the summer pods. :P

Good to know I can expect good things from the bonnets!

And also good to see another Weezy-anian here!

Yep, they sure did... and they're still producing at this very moment.... full of buds and small pods. But the cooler weather did make them freak out a bit. They're growing small pods and getting ripe very fast, turning orange while they're still pea-sized.... I ate one yesterday, and the flavor/heat is no different than the summer pods. :PGood to know I can expect good things from the bonnets!And also good to see another Weezy-anian here!

Keep those babies going! A couple of my long-term overwinters are Red Habs I bought as bedding plants at the hardware store in 2009...They're in my garage right now, but I set them out in the driveway every time there's above-30s nights in the forecast...Most of the leaves are gone, but they are loaded with winter-sized (as you said) orange and red pods. Like little spicy Christmas trees....

I believe I'll run down and snap a pik in a minit....

Okay I'm back. This photo is 5 minits ago...As you said, they are still hella spicy and flavorful...(It's nice and warm today, so one more cup a Joe, and I'm schlepping all of 'em out into the sun.) So, yeah, Habs will not let you down!

redhabs.jpg

Nice! Mine aren't quite that plentiful, but I did harvest about 100 pods from two plants a couple of weeks ago. Here's where it stands right now... just took these.

8483022688_0d2c4a20b6_b.jpg

8483026064_935d3ac3cb_b.jpg

Back