• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Scotch Bonnets

Hi Chewi! Those are 18-inch tapered pots, which, I believe, makes them about 15 gallons in volume.

I've since moved away from tapered pots, because when the plants get large the wind tends to easily blow them over. The "straight-sided" black nursery pots have a much wider base, making them way more stable. They also have much better drain holes. Ugly, though...My wife does not like them....

If someone would make some nice, stable concrete planters with good drain holes, that would be great...Maybe a business opportunity there...

More scotch bonnets pics please!!!!!
www.research.vt.edu/resmag/2010summer/peppers.html
pepperdisplay.jpg

Hi Chewi! Those are 18-inch tapered pots, which, I believe, makes them about 15 gallons in volume.

I've since moved away from tapered pots, because when the plants get large the wind tends to easily blow them over. The "straight-sided" black nursery pots have a much wider base, making them way more stable. They also have much better drain holes. Ugly, though...My wife does not like them....

If someone would make some nice, stable concrete planters with good drain holes, that would be great...Maybe a business opportunity there...

Oh man, I don't know...HAHA 15 gallons? Wife would totally kill me. But you know what? She probably couldn't lug all of them of out of the way if I potted them while she was at the store or something! Thanks for the heads up!

... I've since moved away from tapered pots, because when the plants get large the wind tends to easily blow them over. The "straight-sided" black nursery pots have a much wider base, making them way more stable. They also have much better drain holes. Ugly, though...My wife does not like them....
Solid point and I agree, even though I still have large tapered terracotta pots on some, I much prefer the wider base & drainage of my nursery pots, only wish they'd last much longer ....

P. Dreadie, i've grown some of your bonnets last year. The seeds were given to me by Greg (PIC1).
Like he said, the pods were a little elongated without a specific bonnet shape (i was hoping for some spicked bonnets like on some of your pics ^^), the taste and heat were good, and it was a fairly good producer.

scotchbonnetyellow01r.jpg

These MoA's look very cool, i'd love to try them, maybe next year...

FayahBen those look more like a Harold's St Bart or another type of pepper.

Bartsb2010.jpg

Even the Bonnets that didn't have a great Tam shape didn't look like your picture . And they'd be mixed on the same plant. How many plants did you grow ? This is more what my plants look like.

Perfumeb2010-1.jpg

CCNSB8-25-10.jpg

Thanks for your post ... will help me figure things out better , with pictures is really helpful . I'm not saying you didn't plant what you thought you had. I guess I'm hoping the seeds got mislabled or something .... cause I so wasn't aiming for Scotch Bonnets that look like those. But I'm you liked the flavor no matter what's up ...

Thanks for your feed back & Peace,
P.Dreadie

So there's no "Confucius" here......I thought I'd post a few shots from last years grow for those who may have missed it. Erin (P.Dreadie) also saw these in a response to a PM.

IMG_4091-1.jpg

These are the pods I grew last year, early ones such as these were somewhat small but later in the season they were about 1.5" and longer.
These were from a seed stock from Chris (cmpman 1974)

IMG_4526.jpg

More "Dreadies" ...seed stock from Cappy (PRF).....I also have the Bahamian Goat seeds from Cappy, they are "Marvelous"
These look similar to the photo from Fayben........alot of variation on the plants...

IMG_4323-1.jpg

Ok.......The Red Bonnet seeds were courtesy of Ronnie (Alabama Jack)..the others were from Beth (PEP)
These were grown from my seed stock which gets replenished each season.,

IMG_4215-1.jpg

These are from my original seed stock from Beth a few years back.....the pods are pretty similar throughout the plants......hotter later in the season...The petioles were also thicker with the originals

IMG_4218-1.jpg

Finally some TFM's also from Beth. These pods get larger towards the end of the year ...so does the plant 4ft tall which is uncommon, at least up here..

Greg

FayahBen those look more like a Harold's St Bart or another type of pepper.

Even the Bonnets that didn't have a great Tam shape didn't look like your picture . And they'd be mixed on the same plant. How many plants did you grow ? This is more what my plants look like.

Thanks for your post ... will help me figure things out better , with pictures is really helpful . I'm not saying you didn't plant what you thought you had. I guess I'm hoping the seeds got mislabled or something .... cause I so wasn't aiming for Scotch Bonnets that look like those. But I'm you liked the flavor no matter what's up ...

Thanks for your feed back & Peace,
P.Dreadie

I've grown only one plant of it last year (well, it's same with most of the strains i grow). I'm growing another one (from the same seed stock, not harvested seeds) this year, maybe two, it could help to see if the seeds are true or have been hybridized. As you said it could be a mislabelling issue too.

Does the spiked bonnets you got are just a few on a plant, or most look like this ? (i've had some pods looking totally different sometimes in the end of the season with the jamaican scotch bonnet from Beth, by example)

FayahBen ,

They are two different strains . The spiky type are called "Select". Most the pods look much the same. But some are expectational looking. Lots of spikes with a long tail. Those are the ones I keep seeds from. I also just keep the earliest , best looking pods for seeds . By that time I can usually see which plants have the best growth rate and have the most pods starting to grow. That holds true for any plant I keep seeds from.

I hope you do grow a few more of those plants if you have time and room. I too would like to see if something got crossed. That's how me learn ... by getting more plants in the ground. Again thanks for your feedback .

Peace,
P.Dreadie

I hope you do grow a few more of those plants if you have time and room. I too would like to see if something got crossed. That's how me learn ... by getting more plants in the ground. Again thanks for your feedback .

I only have 2 seedlings on the go, i usually keep one, i'll keep both. We'll see how they will be. Note that the seeds have been in several hands before mine, and if there has been some cross it may have been with someone else.

Anyway i would be happy to try your 'select' ones if you have any seeds to share at the end of the season.

Update to P. Dreadie.

My P. Dreadie Scotch Bonnet Yellow is still going strong. Can´t wait to the pods to ripen and to taste...  :P

JJ

130523.jpg

Back