• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Season Ending Sauce...

Here's the final sauce that I've made this year.  This will be a mix of dryed and frozen peppers. 
Why use dryed ? This is the only sauce that I will do that, mainly because of the Chipotle Peppers. You just can't duplicate the days of the cold smoking process at home without the right equipment. The canned version in the Adobe has it's place in the kitchen but imparts a different flavor then I'm looking for.

Here's the dryed peppers...Chipotles, Cherry smoked Jamaican Habs, Long Brown Habs, Chilaucle Rojo  and Ancho Pods.

Fresh ingredients: Onions, Black Garlic, Blueberries, Cranberries, Tamarind, Coconut Palm Sugar, Aged Pepper Infused Vinegar, Salt , Spices , and frozen Chocolate Habs.

Final mix down before bottling.  The sauce was run through the blender in batches then through a fine screen food mill.
Those who deseed peppers or have worked somewhere in a kitchen know how important it is to wear latex/nitrile gloves. Whether you store them in a kitchen drawer or on the grow room shelf, to make the gloves an easy fit just sprinkle alittle corn starch on the hands.
"one size fits all".............just ask John Holmes..........oops !............he dead......... :banghead: ............. :lol:

Bottled up in 10 and 12 oz bottles and flasks. The combo of the dryed peppers, fresh ingredients and the aged pepper vinegar make this a tasty sauce.

next yr I'm picking up a 50 qt stock pot with a spicket on the bottom.
No more ladeling ...

I posted this early and left a few things out..........lol............typical

Two pots were used, one for the dryed pods which were covered with water that was brought to a boil. When cooled down  any stems were removed and the pods were deseeded with the back of a knife. The re-hydrated peppers were added  to the fresh mix with vinegar. After the sauce was food milled it was returned back to the large stock pot and a bottle of Black Strap Rum was added. Brough back to a boil and ph checked for a final time.
The sauce is thick pouring like a steak sauce.........but that's usually fine, cause it last longer.

Jamison said:
The color is amazing! Looks silky smooth Greg! I betcha that tastes really, really good!

Thanks its a good solid Chipotle for steaks or chops.

Ocho Cinco said:
Whatcha gonna do with all that? It looks delicious. Do you have any for sale?

I don't sell and ship, most of what I make travels locally. However, I did send some out as gifts  to a few folks here. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Great looking prunes! Oh I mean sauce, love the dark, rich color and I am sure the smokey undertones come through perfectly. 

Nice one Chris ! 
Funny you should say that...this one doesn't have any prunes, dates or raisens......I have used those in the past. Oddly enough, adding prunes to a beef or other meat stew adds a special note to the sauce. Thay break down nicely and bring out great flavor especially when paired up with Brandy or Bourbon................wait I think I hear my stomack girlgling.................... :pray: ..................... :lol: .............just kidding

scratchzilla said:
So dark..That list of ingredients sounds amazing. 

Thanks, the color comes mostly from the peppers/ sugar/ tamarind

hoibot said:
wow... that looks insanely delicious. excellent work!

thanks........it goes to show folks you can use dryed goods in a sauce

Roguejim said:
Wow!  If you're selling any, let me/us know. 

Thanks for the response, I may send a few out after the holidays.

Portuge said:
Christmas presents for certain somebodies... Nice batch of sauce Greg...

Certain somebodies is right...thanks

stc3248 said:
Nothing ever half way...you my friend are the master of all things pepper. Looks like smooth shiny chocolate pudding!!!

Good point...............dang chocolate pudding is one of my favorites. 

Blackthorn is serious winner, Greg! It's got depth, is not too hot, contrasted with Red Fury which is more trad (and excellent) but B-Thorn is signature. I went with raisins and porcini powder, but just love what you did with this and yes, thick; as it should be. I had some on an omelet with lots of Canadian bacon last night. And rocks a pastrami sandwich!! I think anchos, dried jals, reconstituted, deseeded, and dang, black garlic . . . just can't miss with frozen or fresh after that!

Back