• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seed Germination Issues

I'm not really sure what's causing my seeds not to germinate. I use a ratio of 3:1 Coco dust and perlite. I don't have a PH tester/meter but I never had this problem before. I moist the medium and keep it in a very shaded area. My other trial is I kept them inside as I thought the cooler temp here in Manila is causing the problem. But both trials failed so I'm out of ideas. Both seed packs used to germinate with faily high rates but now, none of them do.

The seeds I am using are from Home Depot and Pepper Lover and was purchased June 2013. Is the age of the seeds the issue here?

PT: The temperature outside is around 32C during the day and around 24C at night. They are stored in the same zip baggies they came in and were stored in a drawer.

OKG: Our house isn't insulated (just concrete and tiles) so the temps would be the same indoors as what we have outdoors. I've successfully germinated seeds before but it's unusual for the rest of them not to germ at all. Soaked seeds 30+ for 20 hours, sowed in a tray and kept moist. The top dries out in 2-3 days where I spray just enough water to moist the top. I remember doing that routine over 5 times just to realize it's already over 2 weeks and none at all.

I'm not familiar with the seed starting medium. I use the standard peat pellets and covered plastic tray. It sounds like you don't cover. Your temperature is fine. I'm not keen on the spray and let dry regime you're using though. I think it's much more effective to have conditions where temperature and humidity are relatively constant. That's why I like the cover...

Agree with the warm and cover. I don't use seed starting medium, but germinate on a damp coffee filter placed in a sealable plastic tub - or even a ziploc bag. I move them to starter mix as soon as the root peeks out of the seed casing.

If you have used that soil starting medium before successfully, then the only thing that stands out to me as a potential issue is that the surface of your medium is drying out a little before you spray. During germination it only takes one time of the soil drying out to kill the seed.

Gently dig up a seed or two and try to see what's going on. I have observed that some of my seeds stalled and would not germinate in 90 degrees farenheit. As soon as I adjusted the temps down to the low 80's they started coming up. I planted scotch bonnet seeds on Feb 4th in 90 degree temps, some of them are just sprouting this week nearly 35 days later.

EDIT: I just reread your post and I guess another issue could be that your seeds are from last year. I am not familiar with your climate but if your house is not temp controlled and temps were ever freezing indoors, or simply too humid, maybe it's possible that effected the seeds.

willard3 said:
Did you wash your hands and clean your tools before you started?

orangehero said:

What can cause all of your seeds to not germinate?

I never really wash my hands when handling coco and perlite but just to answer the question, I do rinse my hands when handling the seeds and I make sure not to touch them with bare hands. One reason is I picked my nose one time and was snorting milk a few minutes later. Another reason is I feel the moisture in my hand can affect the seeds themselves. I don't really have any tools for the garden except for the rake and shovel that never left the garden the same day I purchased them.

Bob_B said:
I'm not familiar with the seed starting medium. I use the standard peat pellets and covered plastic tray. It sounds like you don't cover. Your temperature is fine. I'm not keen on the spray and let dry regime you're using though. I think it's much more effective to have conditions where temperature and humidity are relatively constant. That's why I like the cover...

geeme said:
Agree with the warm and cover. I don't use seed starting medium, but germinate on a damp coffee filter placed in a sealable plastic tub - or even a ziploc bag. I move them to starter mix as soon as the root peeks out of the seed casing.

It would seem like that's what happening. I remember it was the monsoon season in July when I came back from the US. It's pretty dry a couple of months ago so I guess that somewhat affected the seeds. I'm going to sow the last few batches and see whether covering the moist mediums with cling wrap or simply a lid 1/8 open will do the trick.

I'm also leaning towards the age of the seeds but we'll find out for sure in a couple of weeks,

Back