• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seed Tray Too Humid?

I would be totally lost without my thermometer. I got this one for $15 at Kohl's and it has become my best friend. I am operating without a thermostat and had to put cardboard between my mat and the seed tray because my tray got too hot. Also, there are different climate zones within my tray. The center can reach 90 deg. while the edges are in the high 70s. I would not have known that if not for the thermometer. Sticking it in your soil near your seed will tell you the exact temp your seed is at.

On a different note, I couldn't tell from your grow log if you soaked your seeds before planting. Soaking has shaved as much a 3 weeks off my germination time.

What should the humidity of the seed tray be? I'm doing hot pepper seeds for the first time and have my weather station humidistat and temp gauge inside the germination box ^_^ now I barely need to check them. I'm hoping for some fast sprouting time; I gave them all a light peroxide wash and soaked them until they sank. Also using some black garden dirt my dad and I have been working for 20+ years; I got a late start last year and planted my garden in June and by August the pepper plants were all breaking from their own weight. Big Jim bushes were 4.5-5 feet tall, fully loaded. I put a small terrarium mat under where the super hots are and I'm reading 83 degrees in the dome right above the mat with humidity in the mid 80%'s

When I germinated my store bought Jalapenos, Hungarian Hot Wax and Hot Mix, I had a little thermometer / humidistat in the dome (the mini kind of therm / humidistat that you would put in a humidor for cigars). Mine always reads 99% humidity and plenty of water droplets form on the dome, but my seed starting mix (Jiffy organic) is never as wet as yours looks.. I know they work because once the dome is removed, humidity drops to 25% - 75% (depending where I put the humidistat.. right on the soil mix is higher, 3ft away on my desk its 25%).

I could grab a handful of the starting mix and squeeze it and no water will come out, but it will stick together till you poke it, then it will fall apart. Kinda my litmus test for "is it too moist?"

I didn't use a heat mat, just two shelves for sprouting my seeds.. But the bulbs that light the bottom tier give bottom heat to the top tier to keep it a nice 80-85. So far, I've had awesome germ rates, but then again, they aren't superhots, The lights are 36" VHO, so they make more heat than NO or HO flourescents, and arent nearly as hot as MH. So far it works for me...

Back