• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seedling containers

To all of you that start from seed, what do you grow your seedlings in until you can plant them outside? I've seen a lot starting in plastic cups which is a great idea, but won't they outgrow them if you leave them in there for more than a month after germinating? I'm starting to work on grow tech and seed starting options for next year to scale up from only starting a few plants so I was thinking about this and am looking for a very affordable option for containers to start several dozen seedlings that will grow between 6-12" or so before I harden off.

Might start taking a few large drink cups from a local fast food chain I have good connections with. I'm just worried that this will force my roots to grow down rather than out which I don't want since my soil here is very dense and wet with clay.

I have my Ghost peppers in a 6 inch planter pot that self drains .
You can get them for next to nothing at walmart.I plan on seperating them and tranplanting each one into a seperate 6 inch planter once they have 6-8 true leaves on them.

I usually germinate mine in either seed trays or other alternatives, such as an egg tray.

pubescensmix.jpg

From there I transplant the seedlings into plastic cups with drain holes.

cup1i.jpg

As you can see, I cut several holes in one cup to ensure good drainage.

cup2m.jpg

I then place the cup into another without holes.

cup3sy.jpg

This supplies space to hold the water instead of having it spilled all around. it also helps preventing bounds as the roots tend to grow out of the holes.

cup4d.jpg

From there I plant the fast growers or important plants into 25L pots. the rest I put in 5L pots, while some will be potted later on into the 25L ones or even bigger pots, some will remain there.

I only spray them when in the tray, from the germination phase and to the first set of leaves. the tiny bits that do get wet, dry real fast.

I only spray them when in the tray, from the germination phase and to the first set of leaves. the tiny bits that do get wet, dry real fast.

that makes sense
smart Omri :lol:

a while ago i wanted to germinate the cuties in such trays as well but was afraid of making the bottom dump and mouldy

i shall use the sprayer then

Thanx :beer:

Might start taking a few large drink cups from a local fast food chain I have good connections with.
They are not paper cups are they? I learned the hard way that they can very easily go moldy and rot.... ;)

I was thinking the same would be with the egg cartons too, Omri, but sounds like it can work with some careful handling!

Back