• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seedling help! Bright green mold?

Alright guys, this was my first time trying to sprout in coco, and it is not going too well for me. I must have over watered because my germ rate was HORRIBLE!

The ones that sprouted were goin great, nice and green, but now the coco is growing a lot of bright green mold on the surface,a nd the leaves are starting to get a bit on the yellow side. I really dont want my nagas and 7pots to die!

So the cures I would think would be: more airflow, was it cornmeal??, and/or that hydrogenperoxide in water?

Ill search on the formulations becuase I know its on here, I just want to make sure that is what I want to be doing and not something else.

Look foreward to hearing back!

yea, that sounds like a good idea to me. Do you think I should keep up growing in the coco, or go back to dirt?

I am staring at a box of cornmeal..it does not have salt in it, but in the contents it has: "Degerminated yellow corn meal, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid, one of the b vitamines" Doesn't say anything about selfraising,and there is no salt.

I have more coco here, but as far as soil goes, I only have some miracle grow or some "organic soil". I should be good with using the cornmeal right?
Would it help is I posted a picture? I cant find my phone adapter, so itd cost to email it to myself, but I will if it would help see what I mean.

too much water...

just water them way less...

coco coir keeps moisture in very well when indoors !

and the easiest thing to do is over water peppers when you first start...

i only use coco ( premium ) and i love it !... i wont use anything else..

I'm still waiting on some sprouts to happen in coir myself. Actually I just checked and I have one Aji Lemon sprout just poking through :). I don't have any mold growing on the sprouting pots, but have noticed a little bit of dampening off on the larger pots. You can transplant them or you can give them a shot of garlic water to kill the fungus.

Garlic water:

1 clove of garlic crushed (or run through a press) should be steeped in 1 cup water for a 24 hour period. Strain the garlic and put the water into a spray bottle. Give the soil a spray every so often to kill the fungus and let your pots dry up some.

Given that coir lacks nutrients you're plants could probably use a shot of epsom salts to get them back to a deep green color. Basic mixture is about 1 TBSP dissolved into 1 gallon of water. Lightly spray your plants ether in the morning or night.

By the way, how big are your plants?

I forgot to mention I've given them superthrive on ocassion, as weak as I could make it. I used a soldering iron to make air holes in the cover, but it would still collect moisture (there's yer problem!).

They're on a reptile heat pad to keep the temp up durring germination. 2 cfl's above. Also, I bottom water, and not even very often, I can squeeze the soil and there is no drip. The cells were sitting in the bed uneven for a long time, i got annoyed with the difference in water some would be getting so i chopped it up to make it sit flat.

Don't be alarmed by the white stuff, it's cornmeal. Didn't touch the front cells with seedlings yet.

P1010402.jpg

P1010403.jpg

P1010401.jpg

Perhaps some hydrogen peroxide in the water would help?

I think the mix is like 1 tsp per gallon...I could be wrong.

I cornmealed them, and I'll transplant tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well. I'll try the epsomsalt spray, it's worked for me in the past.

Stick with coco?

forgot to ask

If I spray with a peroxide mixture, should I shield the plants or spray on them as well?

I wouldn't bother spraying them with peroxide. I would get them out of there and into fresh soil/coir. That's far to wet for chili plants. The soil (or in this case coir) should be damp not wet.

My growing experience is limited to take this for what it's worth, but I tend to remove the seedling completely from the growing medium and put it in a pot with the desired growing medium. Basically I fill a small pot with soil/coir, poke a pencil down into the center, gently separate the seedling from the coir usually by splitting the medium in two. DO NOT pull the seedling out by grabbing it and ripping it straight up. Once out drop it into the pencil hole. This is easiest when the plants are small like you have because they don't have many roots other than the tap root. Once the seedling is in the hole, gently push the soil/coir around the seedling and give it a LITTLE drink of water. They don't need much when they are this small.

Whether you choose to continue with coir or switch to a quality potting soil is up to you. I don't have enough experience with coir to say either way. I am experimenting with it as we speak, but the results won't be ready for a few months.

Here's a pic of my Aji Lemon that I was able to get germinate in plain coir. Notice that it's dark because it's damp, but it's not wet. I keep it on a germination mat with a plastic lid over top of it as well as a few other seeds I'm trying to germinate.

When I water these, I usually just give it a few sprays with a fine mist from a spray bottle. Once it gets a little bigger I'll start giving it some water from a spoon. Again you want just enough to keep the coir moist. Wet is the enemy.

AjiLemoninCoir.jpg

They're drowning!

You're going to have all kinds of trouble getting the plants out of the coir. Is there anyway possible to drain/dry them out?

You think it'll be tough to get them out of coir? They shouldn't have much of a root system at this age other than the tap root. Although I've never removed a seedling from coir (I tend to use peat pellets) so I don't have any experience. I'm planning on leaving the current seedlings in the small germination pots I started them in until they need to be potted up. Then it's more coir.

soaking wet dude...

leave the dome off for a day and get a fan blowing some light air on that to dry it out a little quicker...

stick with coir...you may end up loving it like i did...

What's the point of using coir if it's that much trouble. Sorry if it's a silly question, but I never used it and not sure of the advantages of using coir if any.

From all the reading I've been doing about coir vs. peat, there doesn't really seem to be any real advantage of one over the other. I am trying it anyways and don't think it's more difficult than soil, it's just different.

Hotpeppa, what are the coir specific nutes you are using? I've seen Monkey Juice here in town, but I haven't picked anything up yet. I was thinking of trying a coir mixture containing perlite, vermiculite, bone and blood meal as well as some dolopril as a way of making up for the lack of nutes in the coir. Have you tried anything like that?

Blister said:
From all the reading I've been doing about coir vs. peat, there doesn't really seem to be any real advantage of one over the other. I am trying it anyways and don't think it's more difficult than soil, it's just different.

Hotpeppa, what are the coir specific nutes you are using? I've seen Monkey Juice here in town, but I haven't picked anything up yet. I was thinking of trying a coir mixture containing perlite, vermiculite, bone and blood meal as well as some dolopril as a way of making up for the lack of nutes in the coir. Have you tried anything like that?

no i havent but i think thats a great idea, and for my next season i will also be attempting some kind of mix in the coir for lack of any with the nutes...

as far as the nutes i use go, i cant remember what i have but i could let you know when i get home..

;)

Like I mentioned before, I have seen Monkey Juice for sale here in town and thought about trying it. The manufacturer claims that it's specifically designed for coir, but not knowing anything about coir at the time, I didn't pick any up.

I am also experimenting with soaking the coir in VitaMax water to help enrich the coir with vitamins before I plant in it.

Do you fertilize with every watering or do you do it on a standard schedule (like every two weeks)?

Back