• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Seeds direct from Lima, Peru!!!

Hi All,

anyone got sprouts from these Peruvian seeds???

Here`s my first one. I sowed the Red Rocoto about 12 days ago and the first one was up today. No soaking, just straight into the seed starting mix.

I did not sow the rest of the seeds until 4 days ago, so no news on those yet.

Nigel said:
Hi All,

anyone got sprouts from these Peruvian seeds???

Here`s my first one. I sowed the Red Rocoto about 12 days ago and the first one was up today. No soaking, just straight into the seed starting mix.

I did not sow the rest of the seeds until 4 days ago, so no news on those yet.

Hey Nigel, I actually germinated 4/5 Amarillo, 6/6 Limo and 4/6 Rocoto. With overnight soaking, then Coco-Potting Soil-Perlite

2 pics in the end of my last post are these: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/43897-teurfs-glog-2013/

Thanks for the info on the add
TEURF

I purchased seeds from this seller back in October (only the first 15 types, Aji Mochero was not included at that time).

I sowed 3 of each seed directly into peat pellets (no soaking) on Feb 3rd, here is a list of what has germinated so far:
Aji+Germination.jpg

(there was an error in my excel sheet, I have corrected and updated the list)

More of the Peru seeds have germinated. They`ve been down about 12 days so far, except the Rocotos, which have been down 3 1/2 weeks. To be fair, they have not been on a heat mat, but left out in the sun for 5-6 hours each day with a cover on. 

Aji rocoto (4/5)
Aji amarillo (4/4)
Aji pacay (3/4)
Aji dulce (3/4)
Aji verde (3/4)
Aji limo 3/4)
Aji mochero 4/4)
Aji paprika 2/4)
Aji pipi do mono (2/4)
Aji cacho de cabra (2/4)

Well my seeds just showed up, Now to decide what to germinate. I would start them all , but I have about 300 pepper plants started already. If you had to pick one or two from this bunch of seeds what would you guys pick?

someguy said:
Well my seeds just showed up, Now to decide what to germinate. I would start them all , but I have about 300 pepper plants started already. If you had to pick one or two from this bunch of seeds what would you guys pick?
It depends what you like. Aji Limo and Aji mochero are more or less the same C.chinense, just different colours (Limo-red, Mochero-yellow). Pipi do mono is the only C.frutescens. Aji dulce should be a sweet and low heat C.chinense. Aji amarillo and Aji pacay should be very similar, with pacay having larger pods. Aji charapita are an excellent tasting, small fruited C.chinense. Aji verde, paprika and cache de cabra should all be C.annuums. The most interesting, to me, are the Aji arnaucho and cerezo (both 1 & 2). Finally, the Aji Rocoto are obviously C.pubescens. I`m expecting these to be ridiculously good, but I love pubescens varieties and am growing a lot of different ones this year.

Grow what you like to eat. 

Hey Nigel , I was wondering if anyone, has seen or grown a very mild Rocoto ? I have grown several varieties in the past and all were quite hot, but none were as mild as a Aji dulce or even a mild Jalapeno. I wonder if the species even has one?

wildseed57 said:
Hey Nigel , I was wondering if anyone, has seen or grown a very mild Rocoto ? I have grown several varieties in the past and all were quite hot, but none were as mild as a Aji dulce or even a mild Jalapeno. I wonder if the species even has one?
I do not know of one, George. Then again, I`ve not eaten that many varieties. I have 18 varieties germinated this year, so maybe I can answer you next Christmas, because that`s how long it will take to get ripe pods    :rofl:

Reactions: SL3
18 varieties of Pubes! Good gosh Nigel you've gone Pube crazy... Lol I grew two pubescens last year and only got like four pods to grow on both plants... Best of luck on your Pubes...

I had stopped growing them for awhile, do their growing requirements and low production it takes at least two to three years for top production and I just don't have the room to over winter them.
This those I was given a Rocoto cross that was crossed with another rocoto, so I desided to grow them I had 6 seeds and got 5 very robust plants that are really liking the cooler conditions on my table by the south window they all popped up with in a week which was surprising they should make for some strong plants and lots of pods after the summer heat.
I seen photos a few years bac of a rocoto that was very vine like and the branches would grow along the ground unless staked, I think a variety like that would make a good canidate for a hanging basket culture. If I remember right the pods were very apple shaped and about the size of a small plum. I'll have to keep my eyes open to see if I can find the person that grows or grew it.
As for a sweet rocoto I think the genetic make up, issolation and perhaps its wld counter parts extinction my have closed to door to finding a sweet rocoto.

Nigel said:
I do not know of one, George. Then again, I`ve not eaten that many varieties. I have 18 varieties germinated this year, so maybe I can answer you next Christmas, because that`s how long it will take to get ripe pods    :rofl:
Sounds like a good challenge Nigel. A Rocoto showdown!

Back