• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Seeds direct from Lima, Peru!!!

wildseed57 said:
The Swedes, are big on rocotos as they have a climate that the Rocoto's seem to like, I wonder if any of our Swedish and Norwegian friends have grown any, it will be interesting to find out.
I shall ask the people I know in Europe and get back to you. It`s an interesting idea.

All the Peruvian seeds became these seedlings. I`m still waiting (probably in vain) for Charapita and Arnaucho 2.

wildseed57 said:
The Swedes, are big on rocotos as they have a climate that the Rocoto's seem to like, I wonder if any of our Swedish and Norwegian friends have grown any, it will be interesting to find out.
George, I`ve asked and it seems to be a tricky question  to answer. There MAY be one strain from Bolivia that has much lower heat, but people are growing it this year to find out if the low heat aspect is reproducible. It will be Fall until that one is answered, but i`ll let you know then. I`ve also been told that pods grown in cool greenhouses in winter have a lot less heat - grown at 60-65°F. 

Hi Nigel and thanks,  I will try to remember about this come fall time. It would be great if there was a mild variety of the Rocoto, I wonder if there is a wild cousin that didn't have any heat that it could be crossed with to make a mild Rocoto hybrid.
It is interesting that climate would make a big difference in the amount of heat that they would have if grown in a cool greenhouse, being that they are normally grown in cooler areas as they shut down in temperatures hotter than 80F.  Where I'm at I would need to have a greenhouse heated to 60 to 65F. in the winter to get any results.

Just received my seeds from Peru, 21 days after ordering. Looks like the wait is all due to the postal services in Peru and the USA. They arrived just under the wire to try one or two varieties this year here in Zone 6A.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the packing. The seller put very thin bubble wrap around the seed package, then sent the whole thing in a regular envelope. It was much thinner than the typical envelope for an American SASBE, yet it came through the mail with no damage. I wonder if that's worth trying here.

Taking Someguy's question (reply #51 in this topic) one step farther, and starting one month later (April 2), what would be the best varieties of the sixteen types to try here in Zone 6A? Six to eight weeks germination and indoor starting leaves a 120 to 140 day growing season in the garden before first frost. In their native habitat, some of these ajies seem to take their time making mature pods.

I wonder if a good strategy might be to select from varieties found in the seacoast region or in the mountains, on the theory these habitats might be closer to Michigan's temperate climate than the Amazonian region of the country. Cobbling together information from several sources, mainly Peruvian, it looks like the varieties are usually found as follows:

All regions: Amarillo

Amazon: Cerezo, Charapita, Dulce, Pipi de Mono, Verde

Andes: Rocoto, Limo

Coast: Arnaucho, Mochero, Panca, Limo, Pacae (Pacay)

Could not find information: Cacho de Cabra, Paprika

Or am I just overthinking the question?

You will struggle with anything that is C.chinense, so that takes care of Limo, Mochero, Panca, Charapita, Dulce and Arnaucho. 

From what i`ve seen with these seeds, most of the others could be Ok. However, for me, the fastest growing ones are Amarillo, Pancay, Cacho de Cabra and Paprika. Germination times were around 8-12 days.

Thanks for this tip, I have ordered too, got the seeds, soaked on April 09, potted on April 10, yesterday got 2 Limo popping!

SL3 said:
IMG_3537_zps3836bebf.jpg
i was just gonna say some of those look familiar LOL

wes480 said:
Just received my seeds from Peru, 21 days after ordering. Looks like the wait is all due to the postal services in Peru and the USA. They arrived just under the wire to try one or two varieties this year here in Zone 6A.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the packing. The seller put very thin bubble wrap around the seed package, then sent the whole thing in a regular envelope. It was much thinner than the typical envelope for an American SASBE, yet it came through the mail with no damage. I wonder if that's worth trying here.

My question/point of discussion is not about the packaging,etc., per above. Having experienced the fact that the US Customs people will not allow seeds into the USA, I've had commercially packged seeds from several Euro countries taken & destroyed at re-entry to USA. FWIW, I have seen the very same brands of seeds for sale here in USA garden centers! Ebay seems to be a window of oppourtunity to get foreign seeds-at least for now? On othe garden boards many have had "sporadic luck" sending/getting seeds from abroad.

BigMike said:

My question/point of discussion is not about the packaging,etc., per above. Having experienced the fact that the US Customs people will not allow seeds into the USA, I've had commercially packged seeds from several Euro countries taken & destroyed at re-entry to USA. FWIW, I have seen the very same brands of seeds for sale here in USA garden centers! Ebay seems to be a window of oppourtunity to get foreign seeds-at least for now? On othe garden boards many have had "sporadic luck" sending/getting seeds from abroad
For what it`s worth, I`ve had seeds sent to me from all over the world this year, including South America, Asia, Europe, Australia and I have yet to have an issue with Customs in the USA. All were labelled "Pepper Seeds" as well. I`m not sure what your local Customs issue is, but it is not the norm in my experience.

If you have seen these same seeds at local garden centers, you have extraordinary garden centers and are extremely lucky. One thing I will say about these particular seeds is that they produce remarkably strong, robust plants that grow faster than anything else I have grown. They are also true Landraces from plants grown in their home country, which is a big plus for me.

Any update on these? Do they appear to be growing true? I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but plan to order them for next season if they turn out.

Here's a few of mine.

14452973677_2a491b9dfe_o_d.jpg

Top row Arnaucho 2, Cerezo 1, Cerezo 2
Middle row Pipi de Mono, Paprika and Rocoto
Bottom row Verde, Panca and Cacho de Cabra

I've already picked a few ripe Pipi de Monos and there are a few more ready for harvesting, plus one Paprika. I tried an unripe Verde already, these are quite tasty - I'm surprised that more people aren't growing them.

I've also got pods just forming on the Limos. I had one pod on an Amarillo but it snapped off when I repotted it and it hasn't put out any more pods yet. No sign of pods on the Pacay at all, not sure if there's enough time left here to get any ripe ones this year.

ChiliNoob said:
Here's a few of mine.
14452973677_2a491b9dfe_o_d.jpg

Top row Arnaucho 2, Cerezo 1, Cerezo 2
Middle row Pipi de Mono, Paprika and Rocoto
Bottom row Verde, Panca and Cacho de Cabra
I've already picked a few ripe Pipi de Monos and there are a few more ready for harvesting, plus one Paprika. I tried an unripe Verde already, these are quite tasty - I'm surprised that more people aren't growing them.
I've also got pods just forming on the Limos. I had one pod on an Amarillo but it snapped off when I repotted it and it hasn't put out any more pods yet. No sign of pods on the Pacay at all, not sure if there's enough time left here to get any ripe ones this year.
Looking good. Now I can't wait to grow these next season!

Most of the plants seems to be growing true (still waiting on a few of them to give me ripe pods), but the Aji Cerezo 1 is not right.

I have two of these growing, and they are both off. Now it is possible I mislabelled either one or both of them (I wonder if one is a Charapita, but I thought I didn't get any of these to germinate, and it's red not yellow..)

The yellow podded one is growing about the size I expected, but it's obviously the wrong color, while the other one is the right color, but is obviously the wrong size... I posted a comparison pic with an average sized Fatalii for size reference.

15062735386_e0d1664946_o_d.jpg

What are your opinions on these?

Think they are fantastic! 2 for the price of one and both different!

I`ll post photos of mine when I have a few minutes.

Back