• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds from unripe pods

Pam said:
I suffer from neither the affliction of a penis...

Some of us don't think of this as an affliction, but rather a gift. But then they say Beauty is in the eye of the holder.

Happy 2008,

Mike

thepodpiper said:
Pam, I kinda like the way you put that because it seems that some think that it is the macho thing to do eating the seeds and all. There is a time and a place for seeds, and it is not all the time. jmo.

Yeah, I tease because the macho component of pepper eating is just so giggle-some.

wordwiz said:
Some of us don't think of this as an affliction, but rather a gift.

There are times *I* think of it as a gift, only not when some of you Y chromosome types go after the biggest, newest, loudest, shiniest plunder as penis extenders.

I havent been able to find a taker on my 7 pod penis extender yet :sigh:

but that said after I put it on I dont feel so good anyways

Pam said:
Once the unripe pod is picked, it tries to ripen. If the time between when it is picked, and the time it the seeds are removed is long enough, you'll probably get a few viable seeds.

As the pod ripens, so do the seeds. The riper the pod, the more viable and healthy the seeds. If you have no other way to get seeds, by all means try a few from an unripe pod, but don't depend on it.

agreed - when I've picked ripening habanero pods from the plant to allow them to ripen in the kitchen they still reach their mature colour but the placenta often still looks 'green'. published literature recommends the best germination rates from pods left to reach maturity on the plant which allows the seeds to mature also. I'm sure you can still get immature seeds to germinate (as evidenced by thepodpiper's experiment) but I'd like to see what the percentage rates are under test conditions...

read this:

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/garden4.asp

thepodpiper said:
chilihunter, we are going to have to agree to disagree although I eat alot of peppers with the seeds in them but you have to open your mind alittle and realize that there is way more to it than eating them with the seeds in.

Dale

agreed to disagree :) I understand why & have eaten chiles that have been gutted. but its just a waste of time to me since I cook most of them & then you dont even notice the seeds or membrane. even using them raw with other foods you dont notice the stuff. also several chiles the membrane is small enough where they wont even be noticeable or the chile its self is small = to much work, just cut'em up :lol:

Certainly for germination a fully ripe pod is preferable. For taste a semi-ripe will still be hot enough and may even have more taste. You can however, as I have found, take one of those mammoth green Jals from the supermarket , stick 30 seeds into the dirt & a few will sprout.
You can grow them from green fumigated seed! Peppers are a very hardy plant.

Back