• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds seeds, plants, containers, etc

Alright so I'm new to this pepper growing stuff and have a few questions. I have had very good success with banana peppers and jalapenos the past couple of years. I have 1 orange hab. plant this year, but haven't gotten much from it. I am planning on trying a variety of different peppers next year. And was wondering the following:

1. Plants or seeds and why?

2. I have gotten a hold of a bunch of 5-gallon buckets and plan on drilling holes in the bottom. Are there any peppers that would not be good for these? Or am I safe with pretty much anything?

3. peppermania.com is good right? what about pepperjoes.com?

4. any quick tips that you can give - something you wished you knew when you started planting peppers.

I know I'll think of something else later. Thanks for any help.

PP

Welcome.

1. It depends. Starting from seed is fun but sometimes tenuoys if you are not an owner of a green thumb. Ordering pre-grown plants cuts out the trouble of strating your own.

2. You'll be fine, just be sure they get enough drainage, pepeprs don't like their feet wet.

3. Never heard of them. Ask around here for seeds, people will probably share ;)

4. Don't over water them, they like loads of sun, don't stick the peppers up your nose, wash you hands throughly after pepper use. Also, don't pee into the wind.

I am new to this place, but not to pepper growing. A friend gave me a pepper plant a couple years back and I have been hooked ever since.

Dont over water.

Starting from seeds makes it a lot of fun, but you have to be able to look at the babies and be able to tell what they need...otherwise...they droop and the game is over.

Keep em warm...

Have fun and never take it too serious.

Good luck.:mouthonfire:

First off Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas

I agree with what has been said but will answer your question based on my experinece.

Definitely cut the Orange Habanero back and overwinter it...the annuums will grow from seed and produce quicker than chinense species...

peter pepper said:
1. Plants or seeds and why?

I have been growing peppers for years but this year is the first I have started from seeds. The reason I started from seed was I could not find any of the peppers I wanted last season at my local nurserys so I decided to start from seed this year after I joined this forum (best on the web for anything to do with peppers) and received many good tips and some good seeds from the kind members...I got a pretty good stand of peppers and have had 14 decent harvests this year so far

peter pepper said:
2. I have gotten a hold of a bunch of 5-gallon buckets and plan on drilling holes in the bottom. Are there any peppers that would not be good for these? Or am I safe with pretty much anything?

5 gallon buckets will support a 1st year plant...with a second year plant, you need at least a 7 gallon container and maybe a 10...JMO...personally I would definitely NOT go any smaller than 5 gal...

peter pepper said:
3. peppermania.com is good right? what about pepperjoes.com?

Yup...Beth at peppermania is great to deal, is reasonably priced, and has a pretty good selection of seeds...she is currently harvesting seeds for the 2009 season...reminds me...make sure you start with fresh seeds...like from the 2008 harvest...again JMO

PepperJoes is good also but he is higher than a cat's back....

peter pepper said:
4. any quick tips that you can give - something you wished you knew when you started planting peppers.

Don't start :lol: (J/K). I was going to limit myself to about 150 plants this year but started over 1000 seeds...I gave hundreds away and still ended up with 327 plants in containers in the back yard not counting the tomato and herb garden...growing peppers from seed is very addicting...once you see them babies poke their crooked little necks thru the soil...you will find yourself looking at them 10-12 times a day and spending a lot of time caring for them...best tip I can give you is don't overwater them (like has already been said) and the absolute number one thing growing indoors is inspect each plant daily looking for aphids or spider mites... then take pleasure in killing the little Ba*****s.

peter pepper said:
I know I'll think of something else later. Thanks for any help. PP

You will find there is someone on this forum that can answer 99.9% of the questions you have about growing peppers among other pepper related subjects...thats what we do here...we help one another in all facets of being a true, dyed-in-the-wool chilehead...again, welcome to the club...

Peter Pepper,

I also welcome you to the forum.

Until this year, I just bought plants and stuck them in the ground. This year, I grew all my plants from seeds. I don't recommend you do that.

Why? You will visit your plants every 15-30 minutes, just to check on them. If a seedling turns a color other than what you expect, you will consume gigabytes of bandwidth trying to find out why. And should the (gasp) plant die (gasp), you will feel a deep loss and feeling that you should have done things differently. That feeling can last for days, even if you have 200 seedlings growing. Ask yourself, "am I able to handle the agony?"

Personally, I would avoid containers if possible (coming from a guy who has 50 of them full of pepper plants). They are much harder to care for, need watering almost daily during summer, not to mention those little tiny roots that seek nuits cannot develop. But then again, I'll have some in containers next year. However, I will dig a trench, put them in it, and rake dirt around the sides. Then take them out when needed.

IMO, roots are like little kids - they need to expand their horizons and visit new areas so they can grow as best as possible. Containers are an acceptable alternative but not a first choice.

YMMV.

Mike

Peter - Good to see someone else from the region!

1. I did both this year and I would say if you have time seeds can be very fun. Although my Hab I started from seed took forever so I bought one from the store.

2. I agree with AJ, I tried smaller pots with my peppers and the plant doesn't grow very well and the harvest is real weak.

3. Can't help here. I did buy a couple plants from Chileplants.com and I was very pleased.

4. A couple of things I've learned,
-Always plant farther apart than you think. These plants get big!!! -Don't water the leaves of young plants, water from the bottom.
-Get gloves from Sams Club to cut Habs.
-Some peppers need support, so I say support them all. Losing peppers hurts

Also, since we're so close, I'm sure we can swap some seeds very easily.

PM what ur looking for and If I got any I'll send them over.

Ha, I shouldn't give advice...I have the freak-show-grow around here when it comes to gardening. ;)

It's working for me though after much enitial trial and error.

IMO, don't give up, always ask questions, and don't overwater or overfert.

Remember, they are living things and respond like any other would, they will let you know if there's a problem. They also have been doing fine without human help for thousands of years. :)

gl,

SQ

Welcome to the forum. I can only second what everybody else said, except that I think starting plants from seeds is fun, but that's just my opinion. If you got a problem, ask around here, you'll get help.

QuadShotz said:
Ha, I shouldn't give advice...I have the freak-show-grow around here when it comes to gardening. ;)

It's working for me though after much enitial trial and error.

IMO, don't give up, always ask questions, and don't overwater or overfert.

Remember, they are living things and respond like any other would, they will let you know if there's a problem. They also have been doing fine without human help for thousands of years. :)

gl,

SQ

Chiliac said:
Welcome to the forum. I can only second what everybody else said, except that I think starting plants from seeds is fun, but that's just my opinion. If you got a problem, ask around here, you'll get help.

You both FAILED to tell him what happens after to much chili and becoming a rabid gardener...

You become ..Kewl..All the ladys..Or men whatever your pref will want to be with you (hand washing is advised)and you'll become a T.H.P LEGEND..

cool-045.GIF

peppermania.com and pepperjoes.com both good, but Joe is a tad overpriced I think.
Go for the seed option! nothing like watching those first seedlings pop up! sprinkle the soil surface with cinnamon to avoid damping off which is heart breaking!

Peter Pepper, they've said it all and very wisely...* DANGER* Starting pepper seeds is addicting, it becomes an obsession, always looking for the next pepper you can grow...any new name catches your attention. You have entered the site so might as well enjoy it...there's no escaping!!!!!!!!!!!

peppermania is my favorite commercial seed source. Always fast shipping and top quality seed.

In addition to the holes in the bottom of the buckets it is good to put a couple inches of gravel or small rock at the bottom to improve drainage.

I`ve found that tradewindsfruits.com is really good for seeds.I grew from seed and bought plants this year and as everyone has said,,,if you want to go crazy looking for the ground to break,,,buy plants.Chiliwomen.com is really good for quality plants.Good luck and enjoy the mania!!

Back