• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds seeds

So I've been deseeding some peppers as they are ripe-
I open em w/ my hands so I dont cut the seeds, then i rinse them, then fold them up in a paper towel ...

The problem:
the next day when I open the paper towel up some of them are brown-

The Questions:
is this normal? am I doing something wrong? is this just the luck of the draw? Brown guys aren't useable correct?

HELP ME!! Thanks!

-xo Nicole

hmm, i normally dont fold the paper towel unless i am germinating them.
Are you germinating them?

if not, just leave them to dry in a paper plate or a opened paper towel.

IME, don't rinse them, don't cover them, and as kiddc says put them on a paper plate to dry. It may take 2 weeks.

I cut my pods open with a 10-blade whilst wearing gloves and just pull the seeds out to place on paper plate. I don't rinse, cover, or do anything other than air dry. Let them air dry a day or two and into the envelopes they go. Never had a problem yet ;)

ah., okay.. I will try this out and then let you guys know if I still have troubles!

xo THANKS! nicole

i just lay my seed in tissue paper one layer at a time and let dry in a warm room with low humidity and no dust. takes about a day here. but then again i live in the tropics.

What I have been doing and has been working well on the larger peppers is to cut the whole placenta out of the pepper and put it in a styrofoam cup on a shelf to dry, when ready the seeds will release off easily. Smaller peppers I have been removing the seeds and puting them in the cuts, shaking them daily to make sure they get rotated a bit.

What I have been doing and has been working well on the larger peppers is to cut the whole placenta out of the pepper and put it in a styrofoam cup on a shelf to dry, when ready the seeds will release off easily. Smaller peppers I have been removing the seeds and puting them in the cuts, shaking them daily to make sure they get rotated a bit.

Doing that will affect the delivered heat level of the pepper you're de-seeding. The placenta is the main heat source of a capsicum.

Its hard to remove seeds without removing the placental tissue, but try to remove as much roughage from the seeds as possible before drying. You just want good seeds and no other organic matter

I take my seeds out and leave them on small glass plates on top of my cable box and a few days later they are bone dry with no mold or darkening. I then put them in small labeled plastic ziplock baggies.

I take my seeds out and leave them on small glass plates on top of my cable box and a few days later they are bone dry with no mold or darkening. I then put them in small labeled plastic ziplock baggies.

How hot does your cable box get? I know mine can get pretty hot and on a glass plate I would be worried about them "cooking".

Back