• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Sensual cooking with Grass Snake and friends

This time of year I find myself cooking more and need a place to show off my stuff. This thread will be dedicated to all my cooking escapades but others are welcome to join in and share their cooking as well. Not much going on since the pizza TD, but I gotta say the wheelbarrow is growing on me. I have plans on constructing a pizza oven down the road so stay tuned. For now, no more pizza on the wheelbarrow.

Attachments

• 20160911_172026.jpg
    20160911_172026.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 1,043
  • 20160911_172944.jpg
    20160911_172944.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 200
Because certain hops have grapefruit notes, the grapefruit flavor just puts that right on your tongue with actual grapefruit, it's good, it's refreshing. Doesn't taste "flavored" like other fruits because of the hops reminiscence. It's a good'un.

well played, ballast, well played

I've grown to be quite intolerant of artificial flavors in beer.

Even beers that taste good, like dessert or whatever ... if they taste like extract flavorings or come across as being made with something that I know can't be mashed in, or whirlpooled or whatever - I reject them (now).

I don't usually put anything in my beers but felt like it needed something. For the hell of it I squeezed in a key lime and it taste much better. Whats going on?

Grass Snake said:
 I prefer Deschutes freshly squeezed over this one. The IPA's I like the most aren't very bitter but sweeter, if that makes sense.

I hate sweet beer, lagers and saisons be damned! Funky sweetness is an extra damning!

I agree, but offer clarification ...

I prefer beers which I perceive as being less bitter too ...

It doesn't turn out to really be that though, exactly ...

Behind the scenes it ends up coming down to whether or not you find the hop(s) used preferable or not, the ratio's of them, and how they are used (FWH, bittering, whirlpool, dry, randall etc) ...

I mention it because I did myself a disservice for a long time in assuming I didn't like bitter beer, when in fact, I don't like certain hops! ... some of which are very popular, and which a lot of people enjoy ...

The best example of that in my case is Cascade, and it's also true of Galaxy ... I don't like beers which use those as the primary hop flavor overall ...

The hop I like the most, that I've never had a bad beer that's been made using it - Columbus ...

I fucking love Columbus ... bittering add, whirlpool, dry ... gimme all yo Columbus!!! ...

So, I recommend paying attention to what hops are used in beers, because you'll probably figure out that beers made with hops you like, you'll enjoy them slightly bitter all that way up to bitter-as-fuck ...

Another example, which reiterates the point ... stout ... big one's ... if you are thinking they're malty etc ... well yeah, there's malt, but there's mad IBU's of bittering hops in a Russian imperial, you just perceive it very differently with all of the roast character etc from the specialty grains ...

TL;DR - track the hops in your beer and you'll drink more good beers, and less bad one's ...

Unrequested .02 ;)

The Hot Pepper said:

I hate sweet beer, lagers and saisons be damned! Funky sweetness is an extra damning!

I don't think he means sweet ...

I think when people don't like the notes of certain hops, they descibe their unhappiness with the taste as being bitter ....

When you drink a beer that you like the hops in, it's not bitter as above, so people use the word sweet (even though it has nothing to do with sweetness) ...

The yeast should have eaten all of that if you're drinking it ...

Back