• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

music Sept. 25th Is "One Hit Wonder Day "- Whats Yours?

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
SMDS, its been forever since i`ve heard these songs. good choices!

Some of these people went on to have hits with other bands or songs they wrote for others. Some had hits they did not actually write or only covered from other bands so i try not count those. I grew up in the 70s so lots of the stuff from that time i really liked. MTV produced tons of 1 hit wonders in the 80s. One of my favorites from the early MTV days was "Tempted" and "Black Coffee in Bed" by Squeeze. Toto had a couple great songs from that era too....Loved Rosanna...Great song and harmony.

This was cool too from the mid 90s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kemivUKb4f4

ShowMeDaSauce said:

Some of these people went on to have hits with other bands or songs they wrote for others. Some had hits they did not actually write or only covered from other bands so i try not count those. I grew up in the 70s so lots of the stuff from that time i really liked. MTV produced tons of 1 hit wonders in the 80s. One of my favorites from the early MTV days was "Tempted" and "Black Coffee in Bed" by Squeeze. Toto had a couple great songs from that era too....Loved Rosanna...Great song and harmony.

This was cool too from the mid 90s
i actually watched this on YT yesterday but didn`t post it here. i`ll post another from the 90`s. 

WarrantMan said:
Mission accepted. Was rolling through my mind after reviewing this thread (which I've thoroughly enjoyed) and still found a few that maybe could semi-qualify.. More recent than most, kinda, sorta "metal" but flopped after the big hits. Had high hopes for both of these bands, but sadly "no-go."
seriously, both of those songs are epic and part of my musical fabric. thanks for posting these. 

There seems to be quite a difference between the music played depending on which side of the pond you're on. E.g. David Essex was pretty big on this side and some of the music posted here I've never even heard before.

Big David Essed hit here:
and this man wasn't real big here:

Nulle said:
There seems to be quite a difference between the music played depending on which side of the pond you're on.

E.g. David Essex was pretty big on this side and some of the music posted here I've never even heard before.

Big David Essed hit here:

There also appears to be a language issue??? Here on this side of the pond we think of a One-hit wonder not someone like David Essex:

David Essex OBE is an English singer, songwriter, and actor. Since the 1970s, he has attained 19 Top 40 singles in the UK and 16 Top 40 albums. Internationally, Essex had the most success with his 1973 single "Rock On". He has also had an extensive career as an actor.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

There also appears to be a language issue??? Here on this side of the pond we think of a One-hit wonder not someone like David Essex:

David Essex OBE is an English singer, songwriter, and actor. Since the 1970s, he has attained 19 Top 40 singles in the UK and 16 Top 40 albums. Internationally, Essex had the most success with his 1973 single "Rock On". He has also had an extensive career as an actor.

David Essex was used in #47 as a one-hit-wonder which is why I wrote what I wrote. I thought he was a o-h-w on your side of the pond and was trying to say that's not how he is percieved on 'my' side  :P .
How easy it is to misunderstand what others mean when writing.

I guess I should discern that I am basing my "opinions" from a very limited "pre-internet" American radio airplay perspective. Was never exposed to a great deal of stuff outside that arena, but understand - yes,  that tastes very much differ from place to place.  I was awestruck with hysteria when I discovered American actor David Hasselhoff had cut a record and had hits (I believe in Germany.) Here in America he would be considered a "no hit wonder." Never made the charts here and I'd wager most in the U.S. probably aren't aware that he has a "hit" anywhere.

Guess it depends on where you live.

Back