• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried Serious Amount of Heat - Dried!

Armadillo said:
That pic makes me look forward to this year's harvest. Three 7 Pot seeds have sprouted. I'm waiting for the chocolate habs and the bhuts. Hopefully I will have such a nice bag too then.

You read my mind :hell:

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Were the pods frozen then dehydrated because they look like they came out very nice. I have five jars of dehydrated peppers left all the rest went out as Christmas gifts. I have really been enjoying the fresh frozen peppers I have in my freezer. Nothing like the fresh taste of a ripe hot pepper in the winter time.
===============================
Hmmmm....I haven't had much luck with freezing peppers.....they end up freezer-burned. What's your secret?

A mix of chocolate and brown habs just out of the dehydrator. The 7 pods/Douglah mix should be done in 24-36 more hours. They just look so evil.

Chris

P1070764.jpg

it took me four days, but now I have my Halloween candy ready for 2009. I strive to make lots of kids happy with 7 pods and Douglahs. Enjoy. I can now stand at the local market and sell five dried pods for $3. :)

FYI, these smell SO much stronger when drying than Bihs and Bhuts. I did it in the back of the gargage because my wife was ready to toss me out the door. lol. She doesn't like the aroma of drying super hots much.

I may toss some Caribbean Reds in the dehydrator today along with some Super Datils, Ywlloe Habs, and Yellow Scorpions.

Chris

P1070766.jpg

P1070767.jpg

P1070768.jpg

Chris you are certainly having a warm New Year. Everything looks delicious. I have to agree with your wife. I do mine out in the garage as well. I love the smell but I don't like my clothes couch etc smelling like it. Kind of like cigar smoke. Smells delicious but I don't like the house smelling of it.

Dehyrdrating 3 quarts of Caribbean Reds, some yellow habs, PI 441606/441612 (nice conical shaped smaller C. Chinense), and a few others

I'm thinking about drying the rest of my bird peppers. I grew an assortment of 40-50 varieties of these in '08. I have two gallons of pods vacuum sealed and frozen now. They make such wonderful peppers to toss in stir frys and other dishes to get that quick 'gotcha' heat. One of my favorites honestly. Dried, they'll last forever so I'm going to do this. I don't see much reason to keep frozen bird peppers. You don't nibble on these. :)

Chris

Bird-type peppers dry much faster - done in 24-36 hrs max. This is a hell of a lot of eating. About 50 plants worth to get this gallon of dried pods. :)

Chris

P1070773.jpg

How long/what temp do you do with the dehydrator? and do you just set the peppers on the racks of the dehydrator and let it roll?

Also, what about hang drying the peppers, how long does that take?

Chris...here is a pic of 85% of the peppers I dehydrated this year...the ones on the right of the picture are anaheims, poblanos, and passilo bajios I use to make my chili powder with...I needed some Chile de Arbol but the plants didn't survive...will try again in 2009...I made concentrate and canned most of my super hots

011109b001.jpg

Thanks BI...

MrOneEyedBoh said:
WHOA.

AJ do you sell any of those dried peppers? I'm looking to just powder them and use as a seasoning.

haven't sold any yet and don't want to sidetrack this thread...PM me with what you are looking for...

No worries about sidetracking. It doesn't have much focus anyway. lol. AJ, that's one hell of a collection of dried pods. The vsriety is wonderful and an excellent idea You're a pepper factory and you need to be commercialized. I'm sure there are buyers. :)

You must've ran that dehydrator to the grouund this year!

Back