• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

SERIOUSLY the best sauce I have ever tasted!

I just came across several pounds of nice, RIPE, fruity jalapeno's, and thought I would make a fermented sauce but then I had another idea. ...

SMOKE SAUCE !!

IMG_20120810_194349.jpg

I sliced every one of them, and smoked them over apple wood. I let the fire get pretty warm so it was smoke, roast, and soften all at once. I had to do 3 batches.

IMG_20120811_143745.jpg

While the peppers were smoking (about 90 minutes) I roasted several heads of garlic.

IMG_20120811_165051.jpg

Juices SEVERAL lemons, and limes.

IMG_20120811_170138.jpg

once everything was roasted/SMOKED (even a few apples, and onions) I ran everything through the food mill.

IMG_20120811_172808.jpg

IMG_20120811_172815.jpg

The "sauce" came out THICK like tomato paste, but smelled insanely delicious!!!

IMG_20120811_180510.jpg

added all the lime, lemon, AC vinegar, brown sugar, molasses, and water.....SIMMER!

BLEND !!

IMG_20120811_182540.jpg

SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH and SILKY !!!!!

IMG_20120811_223840.jpg

Very smokey, but not over the top, surprising level of heat, and the snap of the citrus plays so well off the brown sugar. Round it our with a tang from a little AC vinegar, and this stuff is a homerun !!!!

KAT

Thanks guys..... I was shooting for "good", but the planets aligned and this one really came together!!! Best I've ever made!

I think I poured 1/4 over a burger for dinner! :)

Katrina's to-do list...

Recipe.
Katchy name.
Label and design.
345,761 woozies.
Co-packer.

$7 a bottle.

I'll take 3!

That texture looks awesome. And the flavor sounds spot on. Good job!

Wow... I have the same Brinkman smoker grill. How much charcoal did you use to smoke-roast the chiles, and did you use the water pan to cool off the smoke? I've pulled some of my jalapenos for poppers and jalapeno jelly, but I'm letting the rest get red-ripe. You may have decided the internal argument over whether to make moritas or sauce with them. Cheers

the next day..... ZERO separation :dance:

PEPPER.jpg

Had about 1/4 cup slathered on a shaved, pit ham "sammitch" with fresh tomatoes!! WOW!

As close as I can remember -

I think I must have USED 10 pounds of peppers. Halved and smoked over applewood for 90 minutes at about 200 - 250
8 heads of garlic (roasted)
2 vidalia type onions
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup black strap molasses
1/8 cup local honey.
1/4 cup sea salt
Tsp fresh rousted ground cumin
juice from 6 limes and 6 lemons
1 cup AC vinegar
1 cup White vinegar
1 cup rice wine vinegar
2 large apples, baked and run through the food mill with everything else.

Run EVERYTHING through the food mill, and simmer for 30 min on low.

Then BLEND in a VitaMix for 3-4 minutes. This combined with the apple (pectin) will make it SILKY and prevent separation.

I think during the making of the sauce I seriously ate a pint of it from a spoon! The way I can tell if I have a good sauce is:

1. No one ingredient jumps out.
2. No weird burps that taste like uncooked spices :P
3. I can eat it by the spoonful and never feel like there is one overpowering flavor building up on my palette.

Wow... I have the same Brinkman smoker grill. How much charcoal did you use to smoke-roast the chiles, and did you use the water pan to cool off the smoke? I've pulled some of my jalapenos for poppers and jalapeno jelly, but I'm letting the rest get red-ripe. You may have decided the internal argument over whether to make moritas or sauce with them. Cheers

I actually cheated with the smoker.

Bear with me here........... I sat a few bricks around my turkey fryer BURNER and set the brinkman over the top of it with the legs on the bricks. This puts the propane burner about 2 feet below the cooking surface.
I then put an OLD cast iron dutch oven directly on the fire (without the lid). I filled the cast iron with fists full of soaked wood chips and left the burner REALLY low.
The wood smoldered for about 90 before I needed to replenish.

Back