• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SETHSQUATCH GROW BIG LOG WITH puny hammer

Ok. I'm in the ring. This is really my first year growing from seed and may as well be my first year ever. Last year we had a bag garden (which was pretty weak), and Justaguy contributed a couple of bucket plants later in the season (awesome).

So, just to get this out in the open early, I'm a little OCD. DANGER PLANTS! DANGER! FLEE FROM THE FURRY ONE! My natural tendency is to, well, let's just call it over-love my plants. "You like fertilizer? Well you'll love it straight from the bottle!"

One of my bigger hurdles is to just let the plants do their thing. I mean, I have grown up in a culture of drive-thru instant gratification, which doesn't exactly breed patience… But I'm working on it. Trying to tread gently through the grow instead of STOMP STOMP TEAR BREAK YELL. So far, so goodish?

Well I currently have 93 babies and about that many more in the germination station. Did I mention I like to go all out when starting a project? Does my car need a ejector seat and a rocket engine? Absolutely. Do I need cybernetic appendages and the ability to shoot lasers from my eyes? Most definitely.

Sooooooo. 93 plants. Alive and growing under lights. Here is my count as of this morning.

Scorpion (Moruga) (Justaguy)- 11
Scorpion (Butch T) (Alphaeon by way of Jstaguy)- 7
Brain Strain
(Justaguy) - 1
Yellow 7 pot/pod (Justaguy) - 3
Douglah (cmpman) - 8
Fatalii (Pepper Guru)- 8
Avery Island Tabasco - 4
Thai Fire
(Justaguy) - 13
Caribbean Red Habanero (Justaguy) - 26
Aji Yellow (Aji Joe) - 6
Naga x 7 pot/pod cross (Justaguy) - 1
Chinese Cabbage, Autumn Torch Hybrid - 3
Unknown pepper - 4

Here is a list of what's in the germination station right now.

Bhut Indian Carbon x Yellow 7 cross (Spicegeist by way of MJdiamond)
Criolla De Cocina (MJdiamond)
Biker Billy Jalapenos
Tabasco
Early Girl Tomatoes
Genovese Basil
Cilantro
Broccoli
Chinese Cabbage Autumn Torch Hybrid

Poblano
Cayenne
Hot Cherry
Dill
Nu mex

My initial germination of the first round of seedlings was done in peat pellets. They came with the tray so I figured I'd use them. NEVER AGAIN. Those things were a real pain in the ass to keep properly moistened. As soon as I could, I removed my sprouts from them and transferred into seed starting mix. Lost a few on the way but nothing to worry about. It's pretty likely I will be sharing some of these plants with some friends the way it is.

I kept my light on 24/7 for the first 2 weeks and then switched to an 18/6 cycle. Right now I am top watering and misting as needed. I was told that top watering helps get rid of all the bad buildups in the soil. Don't know if that's true or not, but whatever. I am trying to base my watering on tray weight. For nutrients I am using Pro Bloom, Liquid Karma, and a weekly compost tea brewed for 24 hours with an air stone in a bucket. All of my water also sits out for at least 24 hours before use to eliminate any chlorine.

Now, I really want to switch soil at this point but I am going to resist. For one, it costs more than I can swing right now.

My setup has evolved from one 2 bulb light fixture to a modified in ceiling fluorescent donated and wired by Justaguy. I drilled some holes, added u-bolts, and used carabiners and chains to hang the fixture from the bar in the closet. This way I can adjust as needed for light height. I can raise one side higher as well if necessary, which is also nice. I have some reflective film on the back wall and closet door to help recapture and reflect some of that escaping light. That's it. My setup.

Here are some pics. I will update with a million questions, and progress as I am able. My next post will probably be showing my outside grow area once the damn rain stops and I can snap some pictures. Anyway, thanks for looking.

Initial setup:

Upgrade:

Peppers 2/29/12 (just one tray but they are pretty similar):

I am going to make a couples brews down the road. We use chloramine here and it doesn't evaporate like chlorine. My questions are for personal gain but also for other people reading.

Hope you like the powder! That stuff is making its way around! Lol Congrats on the first pods brudda! Keep 'em growin my friend!

ALLRIGHT, the rest of the story. Mostly just to show a couple of the over-achievers. Notice I have added a ruler to the pics for scale.

Bhut x Yellow 7 (really curious to see how this turns out)

Aji Yellow (growing daily)

Biker Billy

Avery Island Tabasco (this one is just dwarfing my other tabascos.)

That's pretty much it for now. Everything is coasting along nicely. The Supers are all really bushy (from the leaf removal) and I'm waiting for them to get some height. I'm really pleased so far with the seasons progress. Learning a lot for next year and just listening to the plants as I go. I haven't had any more issues with fungus or rot and all the leaves are looking tough. None of them are crazy elephant ears but there are a ton of em so they probably don't need as much surface to do the job. Like 10 skinny guys eating as much as 1 fat guy.

Things to do different next year...
Buy better quality landscape fabric. The stuff I got is already in ribbons.
Have a soil analysis

Thanks for checking in friends!

Those stems are lookin' fat Seth,way to grow!

Thanks man! I try and beat the hell out of them as babies so they'll be strong adults.

I am going to make a couples brews down the road. We use chloramine here and it doesn't evaporate like chlorine. My questions are for personal gain but also for other people reading.

That's interesting. I love your questions. They have only benefited my grow this year. You really get in and analyze data. At the very least you make me think through the process. Keep them coming. That is also interesting on the chloramine. I'm going to have to look into that...

Hope you like the powder! That stuff is making its way around! Lol Congrats on the first pods brudda! Keep 'em growin my friend!

Shane. I have never had the privilege of trying the mighty manzano so it's a double treat. Romy6 is getting the last of my backstock powders (most from personal containers) but at the end of the year I hope to send some good stuff out to my chili head brothers! Your powder is REALLY tasty. I've got to pace myself.

Wow, Seth, I waited too long to visit! Your grow looks really good - the garden
space for your peppers looks awesome - pretty darn good for a 'first year grower'!

Those Yellow Ajis are amazing! They are among my tallest plants, as well.
The only others that reach their heights so far are the Serranos and the
Bishops Crowns which grow even taller faster in my yard! If I had not pinched
these plants under the lights, I have no idea how tall they would be by now!

Continued success to you bro - you deserve it! Enjoyed your travelog as well!
Sounds like a great trip, and Guru is a great host!

Things are looking great for you Mr. Squatch....I like your garden, it has a tropical feel to it. Yeah, I wouldn't be concerned about being behind others, check your seed to harvest time and you will see that you are way ahead of schedule. Getting multiple harvest out of them. I might just have to look into this tea business. I don't know though, I might just wait until I'm out of this Xnutrients I've got here.

Your plants look very happy and you will be so amazed in about another month. PODS@@@!!!!!!

See, you weren't DOOMED! From my experience this season, once the pods start setting, they never stop! My Biker Billys are growing like gangbusters right now, I think I will have a good dozen pods to pick this weekend. I am gonna snatch em off before I leave to leave room for new pods to set. I am excited to try it (may do a vid) so I will definitely tell you how they are.

I am glad you liked the powder, I added it to some ketchup tonight to give it a bit of smoky flavor to it. I am happy you enjoy it and I can't wait to see your plants explode with that good feeding!

WOOHOO! Back on track! :dance: :fireball: :onfire:

Son of a BITCH! MGOLD! Your back on track comment left me open to invasion!

THRIPS!

NOW WHAT THE HELL DO I DO? I had to deal with these bastards last year too. I'm so tempted to just go buy some SEVIN and torch everything right now.
:flamethrower:

If you look here

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hydro/msg0322372628229.html

This is the direction they are going. I can't find any aphids and they are pretty easy to spot and squish. Had this same issue last year.

Thrips leave spots, aphids leave distortion ... I wouldnt worry about it unless you see aphids everywhere. Nature will take care of them

Dont have to see an aphid for it to have left its toxins in the leaf and stem dude. They can do the damage while they are no longer on the plant and in some lady bugs belly. I promise.

I even showed you this on the Fatalii mother while you were here, remember?

that dude from the gw topic you posted had lots of problems going on with that plant...thrips wasnt one of them lol

Sorry homie! But if there is one thing I have learned....listen to the guru.

Give it a few days and see if they turn back around. If not, NUKE EM!

My aphid damage looks just like that! Mites can look similar too. I released 1500 lady bugs (native variety that is farmed not captured) over 2 weekends and they've really started to make a difference out there! I haven't noticed any lady bug nymphs yet, but once they show up the remainder of those aphids are TOAST! They're gonna be fine, just hit with the ugly stick for a few leaves. and then back to normal. I had a few so bad the whole plant looked that way, and they're some of my best plants now!

Broad mites will look like this too, esp if there is chlorotic necrosis. Grab a 10-60x hand scope and look on the underside of the leaf near the main vein. Look for mites or eggs. You cant see them with the naked eye, theyre too small. They can do this exact thing. Im going miticide route on the fatalii and running a test kit for tmv and a few other viruses. Mites will make you think you have an mv of some type, but the tell tale difference is that with mites, the plant seems unaffected in growth rate compared to almost certain death with tmv or the like.

Hey all! Just a quick question. My mound fabric is all ripped to shreds. I am thinking of putting something on top of the mounds to help retain moisture and prevent weeds. Any recommendations? I'm thinking compost but wanted to know if any of you had any better suggestions.

GOAL - LIMIT WEED GROWTH, PROTECT THE MOUNDS FROM EROSION, PROVIDE SOME HEALTHY NUTES.

Back