• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SG Winter 2012

I'm growing a very limited number of plants during the Winter. These are all crosses and I'm starting them early in case they inherit any extra-long season traits.

IMG_20121114_172937.jpg

IMG_20121114_172422.jpg

IMG_20121114_172837.jpg

I didn't really notice the smell from mine either. Maybe faintly too. I thought maybe just because it was young, but I have heard certain--still unknown?--conditions possibly trigger it.

Inspired I went and cross-pollinated my own wild today. It's no C. galapagoense but I crossed a C. chacoense with a baccatum and a C. annuum with chaco. Also inspired, they shall remain a mystery. :shh: Now to play the waiting game and see if they take!

Excellent... chacoense is genetically interesting, that would be really nice if you get some seed from that...

Plants look great I like how the pimenta x bhut flower looks can not wait to see it set pod for you. What are you expecting or want for the pod to look like for the color.

Plants look great I like how the pimenta x bhut flower looks can not wait to see it set pod for you. What are you expecting or want for the pod to look like for the color.

For F1 we'll just see the dominant traits expressed, F2 is where it's at. I'll just select for purple seedlings at that point. Here's a pic of the first fruit:
http://thehotpepper...._20#entry737270

Updates on my interspecific F1 crosses:

IMG_20121124_183340.jpg

IMG_20121124_183448.jpg

IMG_20121124_183420.jpg

IMG_20121124_183730.jpg

Here is the C. galapagoense pod produced with pollen from a non-galapagoense parent:
IMG_20121124_182913.jpg

Charles the plant looks great the Bhut Jolokia x PDN black I have is all purple like the typical PDN starts off I also started some Galapagos Issabella seeds this week do have any advice becuase I heard they are very finicky plants that take a long time to pod up.
Thanks for the help

Charles the plant looks great the Bhut Jolokia x PDN black I have is all purple like the typical PDN starts off I also started some Galapagos Issabella seeds this week do have any advice becuase I heard they are very finicky plants that take a long time to pod up.
Thanks for the help

Galapagoense can take a while, the trick is finding a way to keep them moist during that wait, but not so moist that fungus will eat them away...

Awesome detail in the photos. Can even see the "hair follicles!"

Thanks, that is a very unusual cross... I hope it survives to produce some fruit... it ought to be weird...

Interesting color of the Bhut cross.....thick petiole with an unusual calyx.
That plants pumping out pods early...........nice!

You're right about the calyx, I hadn't noticed that, must be the annuum in the Neyde. Early pods indeed, hybrid vigor rocks!

Hey, SG! Looks like fun, brother!
Good luck with those mystery crosses.
You are to be commended for having the
patience to do the crosses!

Hey, SG! Looks like fun, brother!
Good luck with those mystery crosses.
You are to be commended for having the
patience to do the crosses!
VERY nice!! :) I love the coloring.

Thank you gents. I'm keeping this in a 1-gallon pot since I don't have enough space, but once the Spring comes I'll pot it up and see how big the pods get. These four peppers should give me enough F2 seed to play with.

Nice !......The Gallup Poll has the Galapagoense up by one!.........ha
Great, I hope mine will look like that if they're not to shy to show face.

How long from the time you sunk the seeds ?

Greg

Nice !......The Gallup Poll has the Galapagoense up by one!.........ha
Great, I hope mine will look like that if they're not to shy to show face.

How long from the time you sunk the seeds ?

Greg

Ha, I don't even know, I'd given up on them and then saw a tiny hook one day. One out of probably 10 or so seeds...

I'll go ahead and wrap this up since 2012 is just about over and I am already starting my 2013 seedlings.

Never before seen, unnamed crosses ;) :

IMG_20121228_192051.jpg

IMG_20121228_192524.jpg

IMG_20121228_192317.jpg

IMG_20121228_192243.jpg

IMG_20121228_192200.jpg

Donne Sali
IMG_20121228_192954.jpg

C. galapagoense with three cotyledons:
IMG_20121228_191533.jpg

Back