• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Shadowchilli Grow Log

Ok so here it goes, my first try at a grow log.
Here is the list of the different types i have growing, or starting. A lot of these are overwintered from last season. Unfortuantly alot of the tags i had to label the plants have all been blown away. Will have to wait and see what pods i get :lol:
-trinidad scorpian red
-trinidad scorpian butch t
-doughla
-orange manzano
-red rocotto
-bhut jolokia
-bih jolokia
-yellow 7 pod
-7 pod jonah
-7 pod barrackpore
-yellow fatalii
-yellow cayene
-red cayene
-black prince
-red habs
-mustard habs
-orange habs
-peach habs
-hungarian wax
-lemon??
-assorted birdseye's
-yellow scorp cardi
-CGN21500 C.Chinense

This is a little present that i got a couple of days ago for my birthday.
The idea is i start my seeds out indoors, and once they go outside into the greenhouse they sit on the tray up the top, and once big enough to potup again they go down the bottom, and eventually outside.
greenhouse.jpg

Also for my birthday i got a joke present.
For those of you who dont know, my real name is Allan. My parents loved the recent video clip with the talking animals they decided to get me these. As since they did they will now be the mascots for growing my chillis, lol.
critters.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzypOnklG60&feature=related

That sucks, shadow. :(

Had my sister's dog dig up some of my plants one time... I was not a happy chappy.

I somehow overlooked your thread for a bit there but looks like things are coming along nicely for ya! I've always had a terrible time trying to get my pubes to grow... I'm thinking I might sow mine at the *end* of the season this time and see if I can't get them to bang like yours over winter.

Great pics Shadow - lots of great pods coming up. What's your pruning regime like at the end of our Aussie summer/autumn? What do you do gasificada?

Me? I don't do anything with the roots or nothing and just prune the hell outta the plants.

This is how Neil from THSC explained it to me a couple years back:

Neil said:
Take a LIL off 10th of Plant so it knows been cut a Lil, then when new shoots start, go down to the Lowest few and chop the Plant off above it so left with a stump or few and few New shoots, what happens is the Plant goes ok lets grow, :censored: me how big are my Roots and im :censored: Little, Watch me grow to the Shithouse and be solid as :censored: as Got Awesome Base :D

:rofl:

That crazy bastard knows his stuff... overwintered from last season:

IMG_6631.jpg

(Sorry to hijack your thread here, shadow.)

That sucks, shadow. :(

Had my sister's dog dig up some of my plants one time... I was not a happy chappy.

I somehow overlooked your thread for a bit there but looks like things are coming along nicely for ya! I've always had a terrible time trying to get my pubes to grow... I'm thinking I might sow mine at the *end* of the season this time and see if I can't get them to bang like yours over winter.

Yeah it does suck about the whole dog digging thing, but thats just part of gardening and having a little puppy around, lol.
This is the first time i have ever grow pube's and i did start them very early this season and it seams to have worked.

Great pics Shadow - lots of great pods coming up. What's your pruning regime like at the end of our Aussie summer/autumn? What do you do gasificada?

I basically just chop the plants back till there isnt very much left at all. However at the end of last season i just kinda got lazy and didnt really do very much at all. Slack i know....
but it looks like everything has pulled through ok so i guess i got lucky.

Me? I don't do anything with the roots or nothing and just prune the hell outta the plants.

This is how Neil from THSC explained it to me a couple years back:

:rofl:

That crazy bastard knows his stuff... overwintered from last season:

IMG_6631.jpg

(Sorry to hijack your thread here, shadow.)

No need to worry about the hijack :)
I love that quote from Neil, that is gold lol.

Hey Shadowchili,

Thanks for posting photos of your Yellow 7. That plant has a nice "trunk", great support for the top load on the plant!

Greg

nice yellow 7 pot/pod bro ... I hope I get to over winter some of my plants ... and they look as healthy as yours next season

Bad luck with the puppy ...

Hey Shadowchili,

Thanks for posting photos of your Yellow 7. That plant has a nice "trunk", great support for the top load on the plant!

Greg

No worries, i just hope that all the other plants start looking like that one with all the pods :)

nice yellow 7 pot/pod bro ... I hope I get to over winter some of my plants ... and they look as healthy as yours next season

Bad luck with the puppy ...

I have made some adjustments to the fence that i had setup to stop my puppy getting in....There is NO WAY he can get in there again, lol.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just an update on the late starts of the season....(under my ghetto light lol)

DSCN0488.jpg

And again....

DSCN0487.jpg

And here is the bigger and 'better' fence to stop the puppy getting into the same bed as he did before. Note the empty spot on the right, thats were he as digging and destroyed some plants, trying to find something to go back in there.

DSCN0490.jpg

And again...
DSCN0489.jpg

also just noticed my red rocoto starting to ripen and turn red :)

DSCN0484.jpg

There are a couple pods on the plant starting to turn, I think for the first time growing C.pubes i am quite happy.

DSCN0486.jpg

Do you have any idea which varieties the puppy destroyed?

There was another yellow 7 pod which was from saved seed and growing nothing like a yellow 7 pod i have had before, so sucks that i wont be able to figure out what it was, there was also a peach hab and a naga morich.

And here is the bigger and 'better' fence to stop the puppy getting into the same bed as he did before. Note the empty spot on the right, thats were he as digging and destroyed some plants, trying to find something to go back in there.

DSCN0490.jpg

And again...
DSCN0489.jpg
The fence seems low given the size of the dog. He's sticking his tongue out at you in the first photo.

I wasnt expecting to get any pods first year for these platns, but it looks like i might have one :woohoo:

DSCN0202.jpg
also just noticed my red rocoto starting to ripen and turn red :)

DSCN0484.jpg

There are a couple pods on the plant starting to turn, I think for the first time growing C.pubes i am quite happy.

DSCN0486.jpg
I had December 23 in mind for some reason as the date I guessed your first Red Rocoto pods would ripen. Call it 60 days by the time they turn completely red and your plant has still beaten my first bottle necked Locato pods by 10 days.

There was another yellow 7 pod which was from saved seed and growing nothing like a yellow 7 pod i have had before, so sucks that i wont be able to figure out what it was, there was also a peach hab and a naga morich.
Were those your only Peach Hab and Naga Morich plants?

The fence seems low given the size of the dog. He's sticking his tongue out at you in the first photo.

The photo doesnt really show it, but trust me he cant get in there...I think the only reason he was able to before was because i had a few potted plants near the bed and he was climbing on them...
I relised about his tounge after i posted the photo....He knows its all because of him...cheeky little shit lol.

I had December 23 in mind for some reason as the date I guessed your first Red Rocoto pods would ripen. Call it 60 days by the time they turn completely red and your plant has still beaten my first bottle necked Locato pods by 10 days.

You were damn close about that ripe time. I actually went back through my photos to see when I noticed pods, lol. guess know I know how long it takes to get a 'ripe' rocoto plant here....

Were those your only Peach Hab and Naga Morich plants?

Wish i knew....unfortunatly another puppy problem....when i first got him he decided to eat alot of my plant tags....I have to wait until fruiting until i know exactly what i have...

P.S. When i get those seeds from the auction you tipped me off about, let me know what you want and they will be on the way to you....

Now it looks like this...

photo-2.jpg
It looks nice and tasty. I resisted eating my first flush of Locato pods when they first ripened to allow the seeds some more time to mature. The pods thus far remained an yellow-orange colour and having changed to a more orange shade.

The Red Rocoto pictured may end up a darker shade of red in a couple of weeks.

So here it is....
First ever try of a rocoto. Was actually a lot hotter then i expected.
The flavour was quite sweet and reminded my of a red bell pepper, but more earthy....dont know if that makes sense, but thats how it tasted, lol.\
Heat wise, i would probably say around 6 / 10.

DSCN0501.jpg

DSCN0502.jpg

DSCN0503.jpg

DSCN0504.jpg

On a not so good note, my orange manzano isnt so good.....Due to the weight of the pods on its two main branches, it has split straight down the middle :(
Probably not going to get a chance for any of the pods to ripen now, but at least i dont have to worry about how much to cut it back when it comes time to overwinter.
Looks like 2012 is going to be a bad year for growing chillis for me :(

On a not so good note, my orange manzano isnt so good.....Due to the weight of the pods on its two main branches, it has split straight down the middle :(
Probably not going to get a chance for any of the pods to ripen now, but at least i dont have to worry about how much to cut it back when it comes time to overwinter.
Looks like 2012 is going to be a bad year for growing chillis for me :(
The branches weighed down by a load of fruits need to be supported by tieing them to stakes. A plant may heal the split if you bind a split back together not long after it occurs.

I recommend supporting branches of your Red Rocoto that are under the load of fruit prior to a change of weather. All of my Capsicum Pubescens plants with fruits are supported using stakes.

Have the leaves on the branches wilted?

15d29d14.jpg

76ae6fd8.jpg

15d9feae.jpg

Its been a long time between updates, but here is a sauce that i made out of the red rocoto's that i had.
The little black spots are the seeds, i never de-seed for sauce unless i am keeping the seeds. Besides i think it kinda looks cool like that...

Back