• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Shanes 2010 Grow Log and Photo's

Hey All!

This is my first grow log. I started growing peppers last year, when my wife picked up a few from the local feed store. I immediately fell in love with growing and caring for my pepper plants. So, this year, I decided to grow some from seeds, and see how well they do. A late start, I know. The reason for that is because I had decided not to do it, but just couldn't stand not doing it (and visiting this forum certainly contributed to making me want to do it)...so, a month late, maybe 2, but I have planted a lot of pepper seeds...mostly Annuum, but a couple Chinense, See below for my complete grow list of whats planted and what is yet to be planted. I have planted 108 peat pods with 6 of each variety. Ill be giving some of these to family and friends....:)

Planted so far:

YELLOW HAB
ORANGE HAB
CAYENNE LONG THIN
SERRANO
JALAPENO EARLY
BIKER BILLY
CARDINAL HYBRID
CUBANELLE
CASCABELLA
CALIFORNIA WONDER
BANANA
POBLANO
ANAHEIM
QUADRATO D'ASTI ROSSO
BIG JIM
HUNGARIAN YELLOW WAX
CAYENNE RING O FIRE
N.M. JOE E PARKER
GOLDEN GREEK PEPPERONCINI
BULGARIAN CARROT
ORANGE SUN
JALAPENO M
SANTIAGO F1 (JALAPENO HYBRID)
HOT PORTUGAL
SWEET CAYENNE
BIG DIPPER
FATALI
CHERRY HOT
THAI DRAGON
GOLDEN CALIFORNIA WONDER
CHINESE GIANT
RED HABANERO

See next post for some pictures of my set-up and new plants.

Shane

Looking very good sadams. I see that Matt answered your question concerning how to separate the seedlings, did you give it a try? Either way 216 seedlings are going to keep you busy. Do you grow in pots or the ground?

Hey patrick. I didn't attempt to separate the seedlings, I just clipped the extra...mainly because I am really pushing space limitations inside with what I had planned....but I will be able to light and grow around 225 plants. As for pot or in ground growing, previously I have done pots with my pepper...but this year we are going both ways, pots and ground. I say pots, but its actually the earth box type containers, plus some regular pots too. I will only have about 20 plants in containers and pots, which is about the same as last year...the rest will be in a separate garden area.

I have about 10 acres, with about 3 acres of it field and yard, the rest is wooded...and I am planning to put a fence around my garden area to keep out the dogs, etc. Also am in process of putting up a small greenhouse, more of a large cold frame really.....its the king canopy 10 x 10 greenhouse. The greenhouse will be inside the fenced in area....gotta get on the stick though, only about two more weeks before time to plant...of course maybe longer for these youngins I am growing. Thanks, I will need the luck...this is a large undertaking for sure. I do plan to get rid of some of the plants to friends, family and neighbors though...so I wont be sticking 200 plus into the dirt myself.

Another update with photo's:

The babies are doing good. Growing quite nicely, and personally I am thinking everything I have potted up thus far will be ready by plant time, a couple weeks from now. I am considering starting the hardening off process next Saturday, that will be another week, and by then the plants will have their second true leaves out and starting on the 3rd set. Does this seem feasible? please let me know if it doesn't, I would hate to put these out too soon. Most of the plants I would harden off are 12 to 14 days old now...so they will be roughly 19 to 21 days old by next Saturday.

4-3-10_a.jpg

4-3-10_b.jpg

4-3-10_c.jpg

Shane

I have some of my late starts out with the rest of them hardening off. As long as the process is slow to start with and they are protected from strong winds, and rain they should be ok. What I did is start with about 1 hour a day out in the sun and increase it by about 30 min a day. I started on Monday this week and by next weekend, I intend on having the plants stay outside all the time.

Good luck!
jacob

Ok, thanks for the advice Jacob!

Here is a picture of my Jolokia, started from seed by a friend at work. He said the plant is 5 weeks old, I put it under the lights with the rest of my "crop".

jolokia.jpg

Update:

Well, most are doing good, but I have one tray that is very troubled...see pic below.

First, one of the good trays. This one is going good...:)
good.jpg

This one not so good...and its the entire tray of 12 plants....:(
notsogood.jpg

Well its been a while since I have updated. The plants are doing well, at least the container ones are. The ones in the garden are so so I guess. Anyway, here are a couple of pictures of the little peppers now starting to show up.

I have little peppers on Cubanelle, Perpperoncini, Bulgarian Carrot, Jalapeno M, Early Jalapeno and Cascabella. I had one on the Ring Of Fire, but it dropped off this morning...:-(. The good thing is the plants (all of them) are loaded down with buds and blooms and are growing as planned, most are pushing 18" to 24" tall now, though some are lagging behind (Hungarian Hot Wax mainly) and are just over a foot tall. They are also all branching out quite nicely.

Anyway, here are a couple pics of a few of the easier to get to baby peppers.

Bulgarian Carrot, about 1 1/4" long. These turn carrot orange when mature.
bulgcar.jpg

Cascabella, very small, maybe 1/4" long. These are yellow, turning to red when mature.
casca.jpg

Shane

Exciting. I've got most of my plants producing flower buds and my main 3 hydro plants are full of open flowers. So far, I've only got the cayenne producing a single pod.

Your pods look awesome, I cannot wait to post some hopeful pod pictures. Just need to figure out how to take macro shots.

Update to this topic:

See below for a few pod pics.... :lol:

One of my Fatalli pods. The plant has roughly around 18 pods, this size and smaller.
fatalii.jpg

Some of my habs, these are supposed to be red habs.
habs.jpg

The mystery pod, the plant has about a dozen on it now, this being the largest of them all. In another thread it is speculated that this might be a Caribbean Red....it was supposed to be a Bhut Jolokia!
mystery.jpg

Shane

Here are pictures of a few of my better plants.

These are Hot Portugal, very good peppers in my opinion. These are my tallest of all my plants, with the tallest one being 54" from top of dirt to tip top of the plant. I put these in one pot just to see how they would do, and they seem to be doing well....already taken a good harvest from each, and they are now loading up for another run.
hot_port.jpg

In the back of this shot is a Pepperoncini plant, and in the front is a much shorter Hot Wax. Also both of these are doing good, and loading up for another run.
was.jpg

Shane

Very nice looking plants. Glad to see they're surviving the heat. My tallest plant this year might be about 2 feet or less.

thanks for sharing! these threads are great, especially for n00bs like me. i plan on doing a similar setup, only slightly smaller. these pics are great too - what kind of camera do you have?

Back