• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Shane's 2016 sort-of small grow log...

Starting this more to keep in touch with some of the amazing folks on here...but also because Jamie was awesome enough to send me some very cool seeds from different sources that deserve to be documented. As some of you know I just returned from deployment and have a crazy schedule these days. I "should" be home most of the rest of the year, so I am going to give the garden a shot this year. 

Late start on the seeds but here is what Jamie sent...minus the dried pods which were some of mine from last year.
1UbQfTJ.jpg

Last year I grew a bunch of wilds...and due to our mild winter and rainy fall, they still look like this.
YfAdqA1.jpg

6GGyMLk.jpg

dmUkcTH.jpg

rFLoqlG.jpg

Even last year's growdown plant (Large Orange Thai) is still (somewhat) kicking!!!
dtXVqz1.jpg

Grow list:
P. Onore (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Mustard (Romy6)
Primo X
Reaper X BBG 7 (Meatfreak?)
BBG7 X PDN (Meatfreak?)
Devil's Brains (Romy6)
Aji Blanco Christel (Growdown)
MOA Scotch Bonnets (JW?)
SB7J (Romy6)
Yellow BBG 7 (Meatfreak)

Added to these will be the wilds I still have alive including a couple Pequin varieties a galapogoense...and others. I will also almost certainly add a Numex variety and some Jals. I hope Jamie shows up to help me ensure my grow list credits are accurate!

Happy growing this season folks!!!
Shane 

PaulG said:
Hey, my friend, good to see you home again, and gettin' your grow on!

I'm sure your grow will not disappoint , Shane.
Although I am really jealous of your outdoor plants
making it through the winter in the shape they did.
That's nothing but awesome - fresh pods in February   :woohoo:

Good luck this season...
Hey Paul! Glad you made your way over! I have a few tricks up my sleeve this season...gonna try some new and different stuff just for the sake of trying it! I finally made the small ghetto area by the window obnoxious enough that the spousal unit is letting me do some "stuff." More to follow once all of the pieces fall into place!
Devv said:
Hey Shane!

I'm still alive and kicking butt in Tejas:)

Good to see you're having a grow this year, me I'm taking a season off, still working on catching up with the things that need to be done around here. Gonna have a garden and all, but the wife has me tied up on "honey do's", and I owe them to her.

Good luck this season!
Scott!!! Great to hear from you buddy! The main reason I kicked a GLOG off this season was to get back in touch with folks like you and Paul...now if I can get Rick, Jaimie...Bonnie...heck I'll take what I can get. Especially the new names I'm seeing on here! I know the honey do's...I got back from deployment with a LONG list! 

Great to see you back Shane. Best of luck on the grow.

I guess grubs and insects are the trade off you have to make to be able to grow your pepper plants through the winter.....

Frost got down over 12" this winter (and it was a mild winter) so hopefully that is enough to kill a bunch of our little pests.

Aight so...I told you mama came off some funds (and space) for the grow...
pV0dJ7C.jpg

14k5fGw.jpg

Jmi5oUW.jpg

pvKff0o.jpg

LJNbBwg.jpg

SVB94Qy.jpg

dXexprB.jpg

1X2Rezv.jpg

GrWzrGS.jpg

Soooo...2 Mars Hydro 300 LED panels, 2 Root Spa DWC buckets, 4' X 4' Grow tent, General Hydroponics Flora Series Nutes + 2 bottles of CaliMagic, General Hydroponics PH kit, Digital TDS Meter, Digital PH meter, Adjustable Light Hangers, Digital Humidity/temperature meter...and more. Most has arrived...more to follow. I think I will be growing one Big Jim in one DWC bucket and haven't decided what to grow in the other one yet??? Those lights are CRAZY bright! I think even if I leave the few CFL's I have in there on I am only pulling 1/4 the wattage I used to pull in my grow room!

I also added a few varieties to the grow...
UBSC (Romy6)
Bahamian Goat
"Farmer's Market" Jalapeno (Romy6)
Charapita Yellow
NUMEX Heritage Big Jim
NUMEX Big Jim

This season will be like learning to grow all over. When I started gardening in the early 80's the only way to learn was to try and fail...or spend some time with the "old" folks that had the experience. No youtube, no google...NO THP!!! What???

Anyway...will be fun to experiment with some new stuff, I am also building a few DIY DWC (bubbleponics) systems for some of my other veggies...more to follow!!! I sure am blessed to have such and amazing wife!!! Stay tuned folks...I will certainly need your help with all this new fangled snoop-dogg cronic ponic stuff...

On to the next one...building a couple more DWC setups for greens/smallish plants. They will be fitted with 3" net pots (once they arrive). Problem is the largest hole saw I had was 2 1/2"  :doh:  :think:

So...instead of spending any more money (really just didn't wanna go to the Homie store) I came up with my own redneck solution...
7w9bWoX.jpg

Yup...tha'ts a tomato can bolted to the end of my fire poker...

wXHbiXZ.jpg

WdAFrer.jpg

I didn't miss the mark...that other circle was the first one I marked and I decided to move it a bit...
sc1UMq4.jpg

DQLWrce.jpg

02BViNd.jpg

Stacked the first lid on top of the second...

zAmw2yh.jpg

8D05VTF.jpg

aXC2eJ5.jpg

More to follow...I have a double air pump and tubing, just waiting on some new larger airstones and the net pots which are out for delivery..

Stay tuned!
Shane

Shane, great to see you home and getting the garden up and ready. Bet it feels good to be back at it :) I've really got to get back over here and active. Mama gave the go ahead for pepper row this year so once I can fully walk again it's going to be on like Donkey Kong, yeah I hadn't thought of that one in a while either.

Cheers Brother!

Sooo...along with all the other information overload...

I finished the DIY DWC containers and did some testing on my water and lights to see what is what. All new to hydro...but growing under lights I know. The LEDs are new though. :think:  I have been a die hard CFL grower and had great results. I used a cheap light meter for this...which in no way tells the whole story (color..usable spectrum...) but it does give a good indication of intensity. The manufacturer of these lights recommends 18"-24" above the plants which seemed weird to me given the lack of heat??? Well...pictures tell a better story than me.

q4MIHtM.jpg

These are two 100w Equivalent CFLs 5000k on the left and 6500k on the right...the meter is only a few inches from both bulbs and the meter is just above dark into the good range. This one 4' power strip had 24 CFL's on it in my grow room...Socket adapters...then socket splitters for the 12 outlets...that is 552 watts!!! On top of that I had to flank this bar with two 4' t8 fixtures to get "good" coverage for a 4' x 2' shelf...so that is.680w per shelf! :doh: I could have been using an HPS!

hZYzGs6.jpg

Here is the light meter pegged out under the LEDs...this panel's actual wattage is 140, it would take two to cover 4' x 2' so...280w! Less than half the $$$ and the light meter is freaking pegged! On top of that...

N5nWXUz.jpg

The meter is a full 18" from the fixture instead of about 3" for the CFLs! I actually moved the lights up to 24" and the meter came down just a hair from maxed out...perfect. Like I said above, I am not sure how much of this light is usable, but it is supposed to be more specific to plant growth than any of the other options. I only paid $69.97 each...I paid much more than that just for the CFL bulbs. Seems like a no brainer...will keep you all posted on how they work.

On to the next one...

Have any of you seen those water filter machines outside your grocery store? You know the ones that you can take you 1 or 5 gallon jugs to and refill them? We use those machines to fill our 5 gallon jugs for a water cooler. I broke out the new TDS meter to see what we're getting out of those machines...

D0QaKkf.jpg

This is our tap water. 485 ppm are not water...which is high compared to most city water. (I still drink it but my wife won't touch the stuff)

qbkwoZM.jpg

This is the water out of the filter machine! :shocked: No...not 6...7!!! Wow...that is a dramatic difference! I know what I am using to fill my hydro system!

gMpxVgI.jpg

Both the filtered and tap water were 8ish on the PH meter...

XGylhGZ.jpg

Some PH down and we're where we need to be!!!

Last but not least I finished off the two DWC systems!
E0GJqgu.jpg

I drilled a small hole in each corner so that i can run the air hose in whichever corner makes the most sense...and I can flip them around if I need to.

vo67VR3.jpg

3" net pots...and some clay pebbles all I need now is for the lettuce and Bok Choi to sprout and we'll be in business!!!

Can't post without at least one pepper pic...
nJ56oZc.jpg

True leaves emerging on the MOAs!!! :party:

Questions and comments please! :pray: Hope your grows are doing well! 
Shane

"Hey Paul! Glad you made your way over! I have a few tricks up my sleeve this season...gonna try some new and different stuff just for the sake of trying it! I finally made the small ghetto area by the window obnoxious enough that the spousal unit is letting me do some "stuff." More to follow once all of the pieces fall into place!"

I guess so, brother    :shocked:

Looks like you're pulling out all the stops this season!

Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

stc3248 said:
Hey Paul! Glad you made your way over! I have a few tricks up my sleeve this season...gonna try some new and different stuff just for the sake of trying it! I finally made the small ghetto area by the window obnoxious enough that the spousal unit is letting me do some "stuff." More to follow once all of the pieces fall into place!

Scott!!! Great to hear from you buddy! The main reason I kicked a GLOG off this season was to get back in touch with folks like you and Paul...now if I can get Rick, Jaimie...Bonnie...heck I'll take what I can get. Especially the new names I'm seeing on here! I know the honey do's...I got back from deployment with a LONG list! 
Thanks Shane ;)

I really wish I had the time to create a glog this year, but I'll just have fun visiting. Always enjoying the ride!

awesome setup.. man.. go big or go home here.. looks like you're gonna have those bumper crop years.. good luck....

and you said i got lots going on....

Sweet Bro. Welcome back over there ;), I am gonna update the the season finales when I get back , between you and KD ...I may actually get into the hydro angle as I shoveled at least half of my "office" room out last trip home.Allowable bandwidth and comm protocols have  kept me short on THP time....I forgot how much enthusiasm rubs off when you spend some time here. That tent looks killer for its purpose, if it doesn't work out ,you rent it out as a portable RAVE station???;)
Until enough data came through , I thought you were really in dire straits and had to resort to BBQ 'n cans/residue for sustenance, vs "adapt and overcome"hole drill.Good thinkin, grill and drill!
Interesting discovery while starting this years grow: I soaked the seeds in KAO3 solution, and ended up dumping all the starter mix out the tray and hydrating in 2 gallon baggy(which I left overnight on the shelf above my "space heater" dehydrator, I put the heated damp mix back in the trays and paid no attention after sowing (works better then killing em w/care) and on day 4 35% of the Doug x Moruga f-7 and several of the other chinense's had popped! Fluke, or...?
Gotta run , ps if someone had any wilds seeds avail........hint.Great to your ass back on here with alog, and enjoy that well earned home time!

romy6 said:
 Might fine I must say brother . Look forward to watching things grow  :dance:
Jamie! I sure hope I got all the props right for the wonderful seeds you sent!

RocketMan said:
Shane, great to see you home and getting the garden up and ready. Bet it feels good to be back at it :) I've really got to get back over here and active. Mama gave the go ahead for pepper row this year so once I can fully walk again it's going to be on like Donkey Kong, yeah I hadn't thought of that one in a while either.

Cheers Brother!
Whatup RM??? Thank you for stopping by! As of now my gear is still stuck in transit...once it gets in I will post up those promised pics! Best of luck with pepper row!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Wow..awesome setup. Can't wait!! Good luck
Thanks KD!!! Setup is still a work in progress, but it's coming together!!!

PaulG said:
"Hey Paul! Glad you made your way over! I have a few tricks up my sleeve this season...gonna try some new and different stuff just for the sake of trying it! I finally made the small ghetto area by the window obnoxious enough that the spousal unit is letting me do some "stuff." More to follow once all of the pieces fall into place!"

I guess so, brother    :shocked:

Looks like you're pulling out all the stops this season!

Can't wait to see how it all turns out.
There are always more "stops" to pull! I am just trying to make it fun with some new stuff...hope you enjoy the ride!

Devv said:
Thanks Shane ;)

I really wish I had the time to create a glog this year, but I'll just have fun visiting. Always enjoying the ride!
Scott my man...wouldn't be the same without you stopping by...I know you will be having a very modest grow compared to what we are accustomed to from you, but if you wanna post some pics without creating your own glog...feel free to do so here!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
awesome setup.. man.. go big or go home here.. looks like you're gonna have those bumper crop years.. good luck....

and you said i got lots going on...
You do! I am just having some fun...more to follow on setup  ;)

gnslngr said:
Sweet Bro. Welcome back over there ;), I am gonna update the the season finales when I get back , between you and KD ...I may actually get into the hydro angle as I shoveled at least half of my "office" room out last trip home.Allowable bandwidth and comm protocols have  kept me short on THP time....I forgot how much enthusiasm rubs off when you spend some time here. That tent looks killer for its purpose, if it doesn't work out ,you rent it out as a portable RAVE station??? ;)
Until enough data came through , I thought you were really in dire straits and had to resort to BBQ 'n cans/residue for sustenance, vs "adapt and overcome"hole drill.Good thinkin, grill and drill!
Interesting discovery while starting this years grow: I soaked the seeds in KAO3 solution, and ended up dumping all the starter mix out the tray and hydrating in 2 gallon baggy(which I left overnight on the shelf above my "space heater" dehydrator, I put the heated damp mix back in the trays and paid no attention after sowing (works better then killing em w/care) and on day 4 35% of the Doug x Moruga f-7 and several of the other chinense's had popped! Fluke, or...?
Gotta run , ps if someone had any wilds seeds avail........hint.Great to your ass back on here with alog, and enjoy that well earned home time!

I wish I had that luck with my starts...I left for a few days and I'm pretty sure they got a little to hot while mama and I enjoyed some Vegas time! I resowed a few...but either way I will have plenty of plants! I may have a few wilds...Charapita, Pequin and tepin right now...will have some more varieties if the plants come back. Eximium, Cap 1530 and maybe Galapagoense if I am real lucky!

O7btPQh.jpg

So...see those two little UFO's???

9kMMRMW.jpg

Yup...those are two more LED's that just happened to show up today. "150w" each which means they probably pull 90w each??? These two are a little more in the red spectrum than the two 300w Mars units...which should be a nice compliment. I am rounding it out with a couple CFLs in some simple clamp light setups...may add a couple more of those later.

ptpgUhb.jpg

Running two hydro units thus far...These have some Lettuce, Bok Choi and three Micro Tom tomatoes on the far left that are yet to sprout...They are a dwarf bush cherry tomato...should be interesting to try growing them indoors. These two setups are running slightly different nutes just to see what works best...

p8wUWoL.jpg

Pressing forward with a few more DIY hydro setups...

G78K6Rw.jpg

Boom...

fEvqCVn.jpg

I am using these long airstones...gluing them down with some Shoe Goo...

52L3ez5.jpg

These 10 gallon totes have holes in the handles that work well for air hose access...

DvU1jzv.jpg

Speaking of air...I'll be using this monster to run my 4 indoor DWCs

nX8tqrw.jpg

Devil's Brain...with a Mustard 7 Pot in the background

ZUH6m89.jpg

MOA...
The plants seem to be liking the new setup, we shall see how they react to the new light additions! I sowed a few Big Jim and Heritage Big Jim seeds for the "Biggest Jim" competition.  I will be growing a few of them indoors and outdoors in Hydro and one of each in-ground...maybe???

It for now everyone!!! Thanks for stopping in. Please comment! Tell me where I am screwing up! ;)

Shane

romy6 said:
 Looks like you got it down bro . :fireball: You should love the flavor of the devil's brains . 

Just remember to change the water out on that hydro regularly it sure make a big difference .  :dance:
Thanks Jamie! Yeah...new to all the hydro stuff, but have been doing my homework. Thus far I am being a little ocd with the PH and PPM I plan on two week water changes maybe more once summer hits and I have some of these setups outside??? Fun so far! It's like learning to garden all over again which is really cool. Devil's Brain is a Pepperlover strain right? I saw it over there and it looked pretty intense! I may try to order their other "Devil's" strains for next season.

Wow!! You've been very busy Shane. I too have grown many years. This past couple of years I've been starting some plants in my Aerogarden's. I was amazed the rate they grow. I'm starting all my starts in the Aerogarden's and transferring to soil. I'm trying to gather parts for a LED Cob build. I'll build something like you've built and be able to start everything at once. Here is a pic of some plants I started around three weeks ago. Just put them in soil a couple days ago.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Chuck
image.jpg

Looks like it has been a couple weeks since I stopped by. Things are looking great. Love the hydro set ups you have going on. I'm doing some of that this year myself but I am limiting it to Herbs and lettuce that I can conveniently grow in my flood table. Start them in the aero garden and move them to the flood table.

Back